Warranty issue for steering pull

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeff wentz

Reaction score
As I've posted in the past, I have a "dangerous" steering wheel pull when I take off, and I can't let go of the wheel as I'm up on plane cruising. Last week the Tracker mechanic adjusted the trim tab a bit to the right. Been there, done that. Does not work! I dont fault him. I fault Nitro for a design flaw on my 2011 Nitro Z-6. When I bought the boat the salesman even said I didnt need to upgrade the steering for this small of a boat. What I need is anyone who has had this same pull to the right steering wheel issue, and you have had success with the factory, forward me your results. We as new boat owners should not have to pay more money to fix a very dangerous design flaw. Thanks to everyone for your knowledge.

[email protected]

Don't know if it's a flaw but, you better have a hold of the wheel on my 185 when trimmed down but, feels like power steering when your on plane.

Does the torque go away when on plane?

I have the same issue with my 2011 18ft Targa w/150 Opti

If the boat is pulling to the right....you need to adjust the trim tab to the LEFT (as you're looking at it from the rear).....NOT to the right as you stated.

2004 Targa 17 w/115 Opti, pulls wheel hard 90 degrees until on plane. Once up on plane, trim up & wheel straightens out to center. Then the boat can be steered with 2 fingers...take firm grip on wheel before trimming back down...

"If it pulls to the left, turn the trailing edge {as viewed from behind} to the LEFT." Vice-Versa for right-hand pull.....hydrodynamics at work......

If it is not equipped {some are}, you can install one. Be sure there is at least 1/4" clearance when the prop is installed.....

Bob,...my boat was pulling hard to the right.....I moved the trim tab to the left and it fixed it......drives like a caddy now! :eek: Ohwell...whatever it takes aye?? ;)

like Bob said, the wheel pulls to the right, so I moved the tail to the right. I appreaciate all that,,,,, but if you read my post obviously moving the trim tab does not change the steering wheel getting jerked out of your hand. I have read several post about guys getting Tracker or Nitro to fix this problem. I need to hear from you guys on when and where you got that handled. Thanks again!

Ok..let's get a little more info....

-1] Motor?

-2] Mounting height?

-3] Prop you are using...?

-4] Any aftermarket tranducers?..... and if so, they are located where?

-5] Any damage to the g'case skeg?

;)

It's not the boat, it's the engine over powering the steering system. A hotfoot would help so you could can keep both hands on the wheel, but other than learning to drive through it, not much you can do.

BF

Bob,

the boat is a stock 2011 Nitro Z-6 with the Merc 115 Optimax. Motor is mounted in second set of mount holes from the bottom. Prop is a Lazer II 21p. The boat has the factory Lowrance depth finder. No damages, the steering pull to the right occurred on day one on the lake. When out of the water, the motor will easily fall to the right, but is harder to push it over to the left.Even when up on plane you can't let go of the wheel. It will literally cut the boat right so hard it would probably eject the occupants.

Ok, that's all correct. Now....please take your time and check to make sure the motor is mounted {drilled} vertically, and centered. Take measurements from the outside PLANING surfaces in a criss-cross plane to the mounting bolts. All measurements should be within 1/4-1/8".

Providing this is ok.....and pardon me if this is redundant.....does the torque decrease as you trim?

jeff w.

the z-6 with a 115 comes with rack and pinion steering and i can tell you your salesman did not help you.

as a former tracker salesman i almost certinly would lean anyone considering this rig to upgrade the steering to hydralic or at the very least a roatery no feed back helm.

the steering tourque on this boat is predictable,

i've been bassfishing a long time and untill 1995 or so we all had to deal with this in some way.

but i can see where someone who hasn't been there would think there was some kind of design flaw. (there is not. just old technoligy in a newer boat) your best solution is install the hyd.

my 2 cents

I have a 2011 Nitro Z-6 and love it, but I had the EXACT same issue. It's very dangerous. It was resolved when a Teleflex No-Feedback system was installed. Now my steering is stiff, but safe. The motor doesn't flop around, and I can let go of the wheel if need be and it stays exactly where it was.

Single Rack and Pinion is not safe on this boat. If you take your hands off the wheel for a split second, you will turn 90 degrees. Well the boat will try to. I doubt you'll still be in it. Installing a better steering system is the only way you will resolve this issue.

I took the boat out only once before I took it to have this flaw fixed. My Nitro dealer truly took care of me. The next time I was on the water, my friends 3 year old abruptly stood up (at 50MPH) and fell into my lap, knocking my hands off the wheel. The boat stayed perfectly straight on course. Prior to being repaired, I don't want to even consider what would have happened.

Revenant,

That's what I needed to hear. It truly is a design flaw for this boat. It is not 1995 and as a consumer we should not buy a brand new boat that's advertised as a "Complete package" and have an issue like this. You wouldnt except such an issue if you drove a brand new Mercedes off the lot. Thank you and I will re-contact Tracker to see what we can get done. Can you give me the exact details on the product they installed on your boat please. (Model #, etc. )

And Bob B, I am working on the motor mount measurements.

The "issue" you speak of is not an issue at all. it is the result of keeping a package price more reasonable for the consumer and using less expensive "older" technology (rack and pinion).

As stated many times here the NFB (no feed back) or hydraulic steering will fisx this. the hydraulic is the most expensive option and it will last longer and be easier to drive.

I ran plenty of boats with rack and pinion....its hard to steer for sure and you have to be diligent on holding the wheel on long runs. You should try running 75 miles with a system like that!

If there is anyone to blame it is your saleman for not letting you in on the difference BEFORE you ordered or purchased the boat. the best time to do any steering upgrades is before the engine is hung on the transom.

Mini, Bob or anyone who can answer, if you already have a 2011 Z6 witht he standard steering, what parts need upgrading, just the helm of the whole package to go NFB?

thanks

The helm, the cables and the steering tube at the motor.

Just to explain the "trim tab" a little better....

"if it pulls to the right".....remember that the gear case is being pulled to the right by prop torque, {with right-hand props}and you are countering that torque by turning the steering wheel to the left, hence the pull. If the trailing edge of the tab is turned the opposite way {port, like a rudder} it wants to ASSIST the case to move in that direction, INCREASING steering torque! So....the TRAILING EDGE of the trim tab must be turned to COUNTERACT prop torque and assist STEERING torque. CAPICE?;)

Latest posts

Back