Want to install hydraulic steering on 1999 700LX – need recommendations

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am the original owner of a 1999 700 LX SC with a Tracker (Merc) 90 ELPTO. I have kept the boat well maintained and replaced and upgraded components as needed to keep it running like a clock. The cable steering is something I've always dealt with, but I have a younger family member interested in learning how to drive the boat and I'm thinking of installing a hydraulic steering system for safety and all the other benefits it affords. I am NOT planning to install the system myself. It's just a bit more than I want to take on. I have a competent marine shop nearby. I would like to ask for your recommendations on the right system. Afterwards, I will look into the various recommendations, and educate myself on the pros and cons, before I call the local shop to see what they recommend. This way, I'll be a little more educated on the whole matter. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_4290.jpeg
    IMG_4290.jpeg
    390.3 KB · Views: 41
I bought a Uflex Silversteer. I still haven't installed it yet. I was between this and the SeaStar system. I liked how the Uflex connects to the motor better than the SeaStar. I also read the SeaStar is prone to leaks within a few years of use.

That's all I got.

I bought a Uflex Silversteer. I still haven't installed it yet. I was between this and the SeaStar system. I liked how the Uflex connects to the motor better than the SeaStar. I also read the SeaStar is prone to leaks within a few years of use.

That's all I got.

Thanks. I'm looking for anything anyone's got! Hope the install goes well.

Years ago put a Baystar (single cylinder) on my 1990 175TF w/GT150 on it after the cable seized up. Hardest part was lifting the engine, otherwise it was pretty easy. <1 day. Best upgrade ever made.

I am the original owner of a 1999 700 LX SC with a Tracker (Merc) 90 ELPTO. I have kept the boat well maintained and replaced and upgraded components as needed to keep it running like a clock. The cable steering is something I've always dealt with, but I have a younger family member interested in learning how to drive the boat and I'm thinking of installing a hydraulic steering system for safety and all the other benefits it affords. I am NOT planning to install the system myself. It's just a bit more than I want to take on. I have a competent marine shop nearby. I would like to ask for your recommendations on the right system. Afterwards, I will look into the various recommendations, and educate myself on the pros and cons, before I call the local shop to see what they recommend. This way, I'll be a little more educated on the whole matter. Thanks in advance.

I have installed many Bay Star steering systems and have found there are very reliable , however the down fall with this system is the end caps of the ram. What happens, and this is for all hyd. systems is the motor while towing wants to swing back and forth and rocking. That puts pressure on those seals over time. That's why they make a stopper to fit the ram on both sides while towing. T-H makes them and RMP also and some others. If you don't want to pay the $20. bucks you can make them out of PVC . cheap insurance .

I have installed many Bay Star steering systems and have found there are very reliable , however the down fall with this system is the end caps of the ram. What happens, and this is for all hyd. systems is the motor while towing wants to swing back and forth and rocking. That puts pressure on those seals over time. That's why they make a stopper to fit the ram on both sides while towing. T-H makes them and RMP also and some others. If you don't want to pay the $20. bucks you can make them out of PVC . cheap insurance .
I have used both a traditional motor toter and a Motor Mate to stabilize the motor when towing. Wouldn't these be enough mitigate this issue?

I have used both a traditional motor toter and a Motor Mate to stabilize the motor when towing. Wouldn't these be enough mitigate this issue?

The motor mate is the one to use if you don't want to add the ram stabilizers. It has the less movement at the ram. What you have to remember is that the motors motor mounts still move a little. All of this stuff really don't mean anything if you only tow a few miles anyway. For me I tow a minimum of 30 miles one way to a lake.

The motor mate is the one to use if you don't want to add the ram stabilizers. It has the less movement at the ram. What you have to remember is that the motors motor mounts still move a little. All of this stuff really don't mean anything if you only tow a few miles anyway. For me I tow a minimum of 30 miles one way to a lake.
Thanks for your insights. For $20, the stabilizer locks are, as you said, "cheap insurance".

Hey guys, I'm following up here with some information and to get your opinions. I called my local marine mechanic to ask if a Baystar system would be the way to go, and while he didn't have anything negative to say about their steering systems, he suggested I call Seastar's Tech Support and ask them what system would be best for my boat. Boat specs are in the original post. He said, I could "get away with" the Baystar system, but I would "not be happy" with the steering performance using the Baystar "tubing". He said my WOT speed of 50 mph is within specs for the Baystar, but because it's a bass boat he did not recommend using Baystar tubing. He recommended the Baystar HK-4300A-3 steering kit, and then to order separate SEASTAR hoses, model HO51(XX) where (XX) is the length of the hoses. He said to measure from the console, down the side of the boat to the steering connection at the starboard side, then adding 3 feet to that measurement to get the length of the hoses needed. Before I order what I need, I would assume the Seastar Tech Support person would be giving me sound advice, but I'd also like to hear some "real world" advice or any other opinions you might be able to share based on your install or ownership experience. Thanks again in advance!

I have Baystar with seastar hoses and love it on my 640LX / 75hp optimax tops out at 51gps and feels very safe and stable. Motor has 90hp equipment and throttle body restrictor. Has no problem spinning a 22 laser 2 to 5800 with no pull felt in steering

Attachments

• 20211113_203624.jpg
    20211113_203624.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 21
  • 20211113_203645.jpg
    20211113_203645.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 20211125_211529.jpg
    20211125_211529.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 18
I have Baystar with seastar hoses and love it on my 640LX / 75hp optimax tops out at 51gps and feels very safe and stable. Motor has 90hp equipment and throttle body restrictor. Has no problem spinning a 22 laser 2 to 5800 with no pull felt in steering
This is very helpful. Thank you! Any advice for getting an accurate measurement for the hoses, ie., should I feed some rope, or wire down the route the hoses will take? I want to make sure I get an accurate measurement.

My Baystar hydraulic steering was installed this week. I had it installed with Seastar hoses at the advice of Seastar Customer Service. In addition, I replaced my tires and wheels. I was still using the original powder coated wheels, but it had been many years since I replaced the tires. The wheels, as you can see, are aluminum (long overdue) and the spare I replaced with a galvanized wheel and radial. I also installed a tongue step. I just have to install my Noco onboard 2-bank charger and my upgrades for a while will be done. I won't be out on the water until late April as I'm in the Northeast, but will post here with the results of the steering upgrade. Thanks for all the help and advice. I appreciate it. IMG_5828.jpegIMG_5829.jpegIMG_5830.jpegIMG_5832.jpegIMG_5834.jpegIMG_5835.jpegIMG_5836.jpeg