"walking" 800LXS

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Alford

Reaction score
Just purchased a used 1997 800LXS w/ 150XR6. When I get the boat up around 60 mph it starts to "walk" from side to side. I have tried adjusting the trim up and down and centering the weight but none of this seems to help. I've been wondering if a jack plate would help solve this problem or if its something else. If anyone has had this problem or can give some advice I would appreciate it.

Scott,

What you are experiencig is called "Chine Wlaking" which is normal for boats that get to approximately the speed you're talking about. When you get into the faster boats, you really have to spend seat time to learn how to drive your boat. The trick is to try and counter balance using the steering wheel, very slightly. Sooner or later you will get the hang of it and it will become second nature.

There is a good explanation on "Chine Walking" and how to learn to control it at www.bassboatcentral.com Read up on it and you'll be fine.

No modifications should be done to your set-up mdue to this, however, make sure you steering mechanism are nice and tight.

Pierre

Latest posts

Back