Vent Problem with Gas Tank in 1991 Nitro

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerry lachiewicz

Reaction score
I searched the forum posts and didn't see anything in the archives about a problem like this. So here's my first post and, unfortunately, it's about a problem.

I have a 1991 Tracker Nitro with a 60HP Johnson OB motor. I've owned it for about a year and have been fighting problems filling the gas tank form day one. When I fill it, the gas tank burps likes it's not properly vented. The vent is located opposite the gas line on the starboard side of the boat. It's an Atwood vent. After getting my spring fishing out of my system I decided to tackle this venting problem.

I pulled the fill line and it was clean and clear. Next I looked at the vent hose (double walled black hose) and found that it was about 18-20" too long. I shortened it so that it didn't lay on the floor and just went up to the Atwood vent. After I made sure the hose was clear I put the band clamp back on the vent fitting. Next I went to the Atwood vent and blew in to the tank. I could hear gurgling. When I removed my mouth from the vent all this pressure came out (which I expected because the gas cap was on) but so did a bunch of gas! I am at my wits end with what to do next. Does anyone have a any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

It sounds to me like the vent tube is inside the tank. It should just be attached to the top, not inside the fuel.

When you blow on the vent and hear bubbles I see a problem there. You should be able to pressurize the tank by blowing but you shouldn't be hearing bubbles. Make sure that the vent line is not in the fuel and you should be fine.

Steve

Thanks Steve.

How can I check the vent line when I can't access the gas tank? Are there screw somewhere that will allow me to pull the tank? It looks like a one piece fiberglass construction.

Jerry

There has to be a way to get at the tank. Follow the vent line and make sure it ends at a barbed fitting with a hose clamp. It has to vent from the TOP of the tank, not down inside the tank which it sounds like it is.

Take the gas cap off and try blowing in the vent line again. Do you still hear gurgling? You shouldn't, so if you do you've found the problem. For some reason the vent line is extended down inside the tank and will have to be removed or cut down.

Either that, or you may have what we call in the racing world a 'roll-over vent' that has failed. They are usually just a ball that when turned upside down blocks the vent so no fuel can get out but when the car is upright it is a free-flowing vent, that could have a barbed fitting on it to extend the vent like on the side of your boat. If the ball is stuck in the closed or 'upside-down' position it would also give the same results as you describe.

Keep me posted!

Sorry,

Your tank is most likely a plastic unit held in with two long band clamps (like a hose clamp but longer) that are anchored to the floor at either end with screws. You might have to remove your batteries or your seats to access it.

I think I have found and solved the problem. t was about 3 feet tall and 45 pounds with blond hair: my 4 year old granddaughter. It looks like she had fun cranking down the front wheel of the trailer so it was tilted down in the bow. LOL.

That led me to the solution to my problem with "burping" while gassing it up: flip my hitch which would also raise the ball!

Going fishing tomorrow so I will test it out. Thanks for all your thoughts and advice.

Latest posts

Back