Urinated off at Nitro

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Snow

Reaction score
Okie, took my 99 Nitro 911cdc to Bass Pro to have them file a warranty claim on my gelcoat...no, not the top cap that is just plain oxidized to the end of the earth, but a whole other issue :).

You see, I have two nickel sized chips on one of the strakes. The outside contractor that BPS farms this work out to, inspected it and said it looked like air voids. Air voids ARE covered under warranty. Nitro finally responded and says that it's impact damage.

Here's why this is odd, aside from THEIR own expert saying it was an air void. I HAVE impact damage (scrapes, scuffs, etc) on the bottom of the hull. They're jagged and rather obvious. These two spots are not jagged, very clean, etc. So, if Nitro would care to get their happy arses down to Grapevine, TX and look at this, I'll be happy to point out the obvious differences.

No, I haven't called them yet, but they're gonna get an ear full. :)

Snowman, make sure you get it in writing from the contractor what his evaluation of the "defect" is. Then you have ammo. Otherwise your gun is empty.

TOXIC

Mike, I sincerely wish you the best of luck.

Now..... This may sound like I'm poking at another post, but I am really asking in all sincerity.... Had the chopper gun method been used on the hull, would that have lessened the possibility of air voids?

Do you find it amazing that they depend on outsourcing but do not trust their judgement. Its a bad business model they got going on. My experience is if you talk to them enough they will come around.

Best of luck

Mike,

I had about 10 of those types of "air bubbles" on the bottom of my hull 1999 NX882. I already had a few repairs done(Top Cap cracks now faded in repair spots and one cracked 10 times worse than before) by the Nitro factory and wouldn't do it again. I said how hard would it be for me to fix it myself. So i went to West Marine and bought a gel-coat repair kit. Fixed all the air holes and filled in the scratches where ever it was needed. All holes are still filled and have not seen any more. As far as your top cap fading. Get your self a high speed buffer, some mild rubbing compound and a real good carnuba boat wax. And have at it. It will look super when your finished and you can say "Damn, what a good job I did". Good luck with the factory, hope they don't have your boat as long as they did mine (4 months).

Eric H.

Eric, here's the problem... yes, I could fix it myself, but I shouldn't have to.

It bothers me that from a blamed PICTURE, they're saying it's impact damage.

It's more the principle of the thing at this point. It's starting to get into the lower 70s here, and that means it's time to put the boat away for 3 hours and now's the time to get it fixed :).

I HATE working on my boat. If I'm gonna be anywhere near the boat, I should have my butt in a seat and a rod in my hand (shut up Tox).

Ugh, I feel for you. I spent the last 9 months getting mine fixed. Finally had to get my insurance company to hire a Marine Surveyor to create a report on why my boat was leaning to the side. Based on that report and a filing to the better business bureau, Tracker finally agreed to look at my boat. Had to personal take the boat from Dallas to Clinton, MO (10 hours). Kept the boat for a month and now it is good as new. You are wasting your time with BPS and Fin and Feather. Dealer calls Tracker for any warranty repair and in my case failed to do anything. They also got silicon all over my boat. Start by calling Tracker Customer Service and speak with Sandy at (417) 873-4555.

I received a response back from Jason Hargus. In the email, he expressed concerns that I mis-led everyone here and pointed out that it wasn't an employee of BPS that did the evaluation. I thought I'd covered that pretty clearly. They have an outside shop that they get estimates from on warranty claims and that ultimately repairs the damage if the claim falls under warranty.

He also stated that BPS has no less than told me when I filed the claim that it was impact damage. Scott has always told me he just files the claim and takes the pics, that he doesn't make the determination. That's what Scott's always told me. I called to talk to Scott, but he wasn't in. I talked to the manager over the service department (Kevin) and he told me that he felt it was indeed impact damage and that by looking at the pictures, he can see scratches running into and away from the two areas in question. I explained that I'd just been out and taken another look before calling, and I didn't see it that way. Since I'll be down there next Friday anyway, he agreed to look at it with me, but that he feels it's definitely impact damage.

Jason continued in his email that what I posted above and what he was told by the dealership doesn't match up. Well, of course it doesn't. If it all matched up, we'd all be in agreement on this.

So, next week, Kevin (and possibly Scott, and I'd sure like the guy that does the estimates) will crawl under the boat with me and we'll come to some sort of agreement (even if it's that we still disagree).

Kevin did bring up something on the phone that I had not previously considered.... road hazard damage. When I think of impact damage, I think of Mikey vs stump :).

Tonight, I took only a quick look before I talked to Kevin (and I was on my way to dinner when I talked to him), so I will crawl back under the boat and get an even better look before I drag it out to BPS.

Let me finish this by saying that I am, in fact, urinated off at Nitro over this, and let's face it, I should be. I want something repaired and they said no. This does NOT mean they're wrong and I'm right, just that I'm upset that they didn't cover it.

I am indeed sorry if anyone feels I mis-led them with the information before. It is MY opinion that the gelcoat shouldn't have done what it's done. MY opinion is certainly subject to be wrong.

One thing is certain here... there are a few people at work that I have to deal with that are very confrontational, no matter what the issue is. While arguing about warranty repair is certainly an adversarial process, it's not my intention to be a jerk to Nitro or anyone else.

I'm glad to know that Nitro DOES read what's posted here.

Well I hope you get your issues fixed up with the boat whether it be by way of warranty or otherwise. I am the type of person that likes to have my boat prestine clean and running in top condition every time I use it, which is about 2 days a week in spring, summer and fall. So obviously I clean and polish it often. I've had my NX750 since last February. I started using it that following April and retired it for the year at the start of this month. I used it a lot over the season and I was very pleased with it. So far I haven't had much for cosmetic or structural issues. I noticed a couple of stress cracks that are pretty small that I think are just part of owning a fiberglass boat. I also took a little chip out while trying to dock the boat during some extreme wind and waves one day after fishing alone, which is 99% of the time.

Right now I guess the only complaints I could have are the fact that there are no cleats near the back of the boat,only the front and I keep blowing out trailer lights. One time I had to drive all the way to a tournament about 130 miles away in the dark with no trailer lights because there was a short inside the trailer structure. I found it after I got home. Anyway, if I'm lucky, next season will not produce any problems for me like you have had. It seems reckless and just plain stupid to manufacture a fiberglass boat with substandard workmanship and/or materials. I hope you get your troubles resolved before spring. Good luck.

Hey Tox, go backpeddle on your Dowco boat cover/above-ground pool :)

Mike...

Of course it's impact damage... something had to "hit" the air pockets to cause them to break open...

I had several of these on my 901, found 4 or 5 within a month's worth of use... dealer not only covered them, he instructed the repair shop to take a rubber mallet and make sure there were no more hanging around...

Point is this:

You shouldn't be able to knock a hole in the Gelcoat with normal every day wear and tear... if it's boat vs. stump, call the insurance company, it'll be obvious. If it's boat vs floating wood piece, or just brushing over a stump with the trolling motor, the boat should win with no damage.

Believe me, I was more than a bit ticked off as well, but 2 things happened: the dealer (and nitro) took care of my issues, and I have since learned that these air pockets are quite common... albeit they shouldnt be.

I understand, and I don't see your clarification as back pedaling...

Let us know how it goes.

Mr. Snow, I'm proud of you, Sir.

It takes a man to show latitude in his negotiating.

me!

I've been wrong in my life enough times that I've gotten pretty darned good at admitting when I'm wrong -- my wife is good at ensuring I admit error :). So, if BPS convinces me that it's not manufacturer defect (air void, bad gel coat, whatever) and impact damage, I'll eat crow (well cleaned and cooked properly).

What a Negotiator!

Even his (potential) terms of surrender are conditional!

LOL!!

Speaking of wars.....

Mr. Snow and I almost engaged in one a few months ago.....

Like a two-fisted pixie taking on Godzilla!

In spite of that ..uh.. minor skirmish, I believe Mike Snow to be a fair, honest and forthright person. Someone I would trust in business dealings.

Just thought you guys at Tracker ought to know.

me!

Good one Mike....almost had me spittin' snuff juice all over the monitor

Well,

Good thread this one is. I see that Nitro really does read this, and that Mike Snow is a Pixie HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Almost hurt myself on that one!!!!!

WELL, the saga continues...

Tracker says they never actually GOT photos. They're taking the dealer's word on this. I can take my own photos and send them to an address, but no one will actually SPEAK to me from the warranty department. They can't request the photos from the dealership, because they're too busy in their ivory towers. Turns out all Jason even is, is a blamed CSR, and doesn't actually have the power to make any decisions about what he'll have for lunch, much less covering my issues. BLAH!

Sandy is the Manager of Customer Service at Tracker. If she wont help, write a letter to the following:

Kenneth Burroughs (CEO)

2845 South Oak Avenue

Springfield, MO 65804

Stephen W. Smith (VP/CFO)

3721 South Burge Avenue

Springfield, MO 65807

Hope this helps,

Bud

At this point, I have nothing good to say, so I won't say anything.

It is "odd"... that Tracker will blindly follow the "dealer" when the dealer helps Tracker weasel out of a warranty claim... But, whne the dealer says its definitely "warranty" we hear that it has to come back to the factory for a (months long) review... Again, customer relations does not sem to yet be a "top" priority item...

And, when I look at a new boat $40k to Tracker for what I want (Tundra 21') or 40k to someone else with a much better anecdotal customer relations base... (and JD Powers backs it up) I have to wonder...

I know thare are lots of other reasons but it is a remarkable non-fact that other than Pros who are sponsored by Tracker I see very few Tundras in the walleye tournaments that I fish... And, I fish over 20 a year... Me and my Tracker are getting lonely...

evcomp, I've removed your post.

Posting peoples' personal addresses, regardless of the circumstances or situation, is inappropriate and outside the posting guidelines.

Weren't those WORK addresses? I didn't jot them down yet, so I guess I'll have to get them directly. It'd be really nice to talk to someone at Nitro that has ANY pull whatsoever.

I do want to make one thing perfectly clear on this issue folks. I ONLY want what I believe is right. I BELIEVE that what I have is a manufacturer's defect. I leave room for the possibility that I could be wrong, but I'm not asking for them to cover the stumps that I hit.

While I was polishing my top cap last night, I did find a good spider crack... :)

I think the addresses given were the individuals' homes. Totally inappropriate. I didn't pay much more attention other than to notice it and didn't record them / wouldn't have recorded them.

Business address:

Tracker Marine

2500 E. Kearney

Springfield, MO 65803

417-873-5900

One of the names given was Ken Burroughs, President.

I don't remember the other name, I think it was the Chairman.

me!

The addresses were not private, anyone can look them up on the Federal Trade Commision website. Those addresses were posted when Tracker bought Mako boats. So, everyone take a breath and keep the conspiracy theories to a minimum. I have dealt extensively with Tracker and know what Mike is up against. Fair is fair and Tracker hides behind the dealer. Mike if you would like the addresses, just email me.

Bud

Geez, Bud..... The first post was in poor taste..... The second flies in the face of what Rich is trying to accomplish here..... Please! Don't go thumbing your nose at the one person who made all this possible.....

Bud, despite the addresses being a matter of public record, it's simply not appropriate in the context of this web site to publish home addresses for the purpose of customer complaints. People are entitled to have private home lives, even if they are officers of companies.

I just don't see it that way. These are probably not the personal home addresses, but I can tell you I followed the plan of going through the dealer and nothing happened. I then went through Customer Service and they said it was not reported by a previous owner and case closed. I wrote two letters to the addresses posted and received a follow up call directly from the Warrant Department. You guys make the call. If the addresses are a matter of public record, then why can't he use them to try and get his problem looked at in a fair and concise manner.

Bud

Good luck Mike, you all know how far I got with my Tracker, it sits in the drive with all the defects and bad repairs.

My advice to you would be to have it fixed yourself, that way you know it will be done right.

Charlie

Bottom line is this....

Are the addresses public record?

Yes.

Can you write directly to them?

Yes.

Can Rich ask you not to post them in this forum?

Yes.

The proper way to handle it would have been for you to send Snowman the addresses via email. Too many people cruise this site that could misuse the information and Rich (via this board) would not want to be the one who provides that information. It's his call (and a smart one at that). This site must stay neutral in this type of dispute.

TOXIC

Guys, he's trying to help me. After all, when I saw his problems on another site, I sent him here. While I agree about privacy and all of that, one thing a home address COULD get you is the letter actually REACHING the intended person. At work, these guys have flunkies to open and read their mail. I've already talked to the flunkies. You can't call and talk to someone in the warranty department.

Sometimes, you've tried using "the system" and it doesn't work.

Okay, he shouldn't post the addresses again, but don't pile on top of him in a "shame on you" tackle :).

Mike -

I fully understand what Bud was trying to accomplish.

I applaud his intent.

Bud -

It was my feeling that you were showing disrespect for Rich's request in your response. If there is one person who deserves absolute respect, it's Rich.

(Unless we're talking about his developing redneck tendencies!)

Thank you for trying to help another Owner solve their problems!

Happy Thanksgiving, Everyone!

me!

me!, I don't think Bud is disrespecting me or anyone else. He's entitled to his opinion.

I want mikesnow to be treated fairly as a customer. No more, no less. He should apply as much reasonable pressure as he can to Tracker to insist on fair treatment.

It's my role to decide and enforce posting standards in this forum, and that's what I've done. I appreciate everyones' understanding.

Friday may be a sad day for me. The service manager and I are going to crawl under old Betsy and have a discussion about her damage. At this point, we're in total disagreement. If we come to an agreement and I'm the one who's wrong, then I've been treated fairly. Sandy has pretty much told me I can go fly a kite, but as long as I believe I'm in the right, I'll keep applying pressure.

The thing that bothers me the most is that IF I'm right, it should have never gotten this far. Of course, if I'm wrong, the same applies.

I've limited my "whining" about this to this board. I've taken up for Nitro/Tracker on several occasions. All of those comments still hold. I think the BOAT is a quality product -- not perfect. However, if I'm going to get the run-around (as others have in the past), I won't have much good to say about their customer service.

While I still think Nitro should fix it and everything else that ever happens to my boat (my fault or not), they may actually be in the right on this one. Kevin crawled under the boat with me and pointed out why it wasn't an air void. I still don't feel that "divits" though the gel coat should be "normal", I did at least rub up against something I shouldn't have.

Oh well, I'm not perfect... but one of you may have already known that.

Wouldn't this be a boring world if we were all perfect.

Mr. Snow, while I'm not sure I understand what you were shown and don't really care, I admire you for your courage to admit someone else may have been "more right" (my words, not Mike Snow's) than yourself.

Two Thumbs Up to you, Sir!

me!

And Two Thumbs Up to BPS/Tracker for taking the time to work with a customer!

(Yeah, in my case it works out numerically. I'm "all thumbs"!)

Latest posts

Back