Upgradiny My Trolling Motor

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dynamofishing

Reaction score
hello all my question concerns upgrading from a 12 volt trolling motor system to a 24 can anyone tell me if I have to change out the wiring to heavier guage or just sequence the two batteries any help is greatly appreciated

You will probably need to change out the wiring unless your boat is a model that commonly had a factory upgrade from 12 volt to 24 volt. I would look into it a little more. You don't want to starve your motor for power or overload the wiring.

Sent from my BBE100-4 using Tapatalk

A lot of times it depends on the length of wire going to the batteries . If the run is long the heavier the wire. Most 24v trolling motors the max thrust is 80lb . That would mean you would need at least 8 gage wire. If your batteries are real close to the trolling motor you can get away with 10 gage. Most small boats are wired with the 10 gage. When in doubt just look at the wire it should be marked with a number of the gage. There is a formula for amps draw and length = gage .

Back