Upgrading outboard

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jess Yaj

Reaction score
Has anybody ever try and got success with an outboard engine that is twice as strong and big as factory made built to handle...I'm thinking about putting a 115 merc...on a 16ft nitro...the original motor is 60 which is too slowdown do hole shot and takes awhile to plane....I know the manual recommends max 90 but no more cuz of the transom...:(

DO NOT OVERPOWER the recommended HP rating for your boat!!!

I doubt it can handle it and you may void your insurance policy! You DO NOT want to do that.

Also, you can be ticketed by water patrol officers for it.

There is a 640LX with a tweeked 90hp computor and throttle body By Simon Motorsports. It is in Australia but is 120hp+. that 640 runs low 60's. also if just swapping - the 90 and 115 weigh the same. It is illegal here though.

When and if you get pulled over for a safety check the officers always check the horsepower rating plate and passenger capacity against the engine hp stated on the cowling. Bad Karma if your in the wrong. It means a ticket and get off the water.

We've addressed this issue a bunch in past years on this forum. You can jack around. Add this add that play with props but the gains vs monetary spenditure just isn't worth it. In the long run your most always better off selling and upgrading to a boat with the performance you want. Take it from me, someone who tried to get a Nitro DC 170 to break 50mph with a 90 hp your just asking for flustration.

fatrap

First what is slow?

I have a 90 on a nitro sport 175 f/s and it goes 45MPH GPS and will touch 50 with a tail wind. 23p steel prop is the only mod.

if you want to go faster than that, break out the big bux and get a bass boat with a 150 or 200.

Latest posts

Back