Ultrex MSI

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave D

Reaction score
Having a hard time finding exact info on this. Can anyone tell me, does the Ultrex Mega side imaging transducer also have built in Mega Down imaging? I currently have the helix 7 MDI gps G3n on the bow and may go with a MSI down the road, but want to make sure before I purchase the ultrex MSI that I will be able to get the down imaging on my sonar. Thanks

I believe you will get a down image view, but it is made up from interpreting the side image data. So not the same down image as MDI, but you do get one.

The built-in MEGA SI transducer does HW CHIRP 2D sonar, 455/800/1200 kHz Side Imaging and 455/800/1200 kHz Down Imaging. If you connect a Down Imaging unit to the Minnkota MSI transducer you will get the connection of the Down Imaging piezo in the MSI transducer--there are different adapters for the Helix 7 and the larger models.
To get full use of the Minnkota MSI transducer, you need a SI model larger than the Helix 7 SI. LOOK at the compatibility lists on the Minnkota website.

Perfect! Appreciate the help. Think I have it all figured out. Waiting on some cables and the new ultrex and will be ready to hit the H2O

I have the Mega 9" DI on the bow and the Mega 10" SI in the dash, they work independently of each other and they both have their own transducers. I have a question about the Mega 360. I want to go to the 360 which will attach to my Ultrex 112 I-Pilot, do I need a seperate monitor or another Helix fish finder or can I take the transducer off the bottom of the Ultrex and use the Helix 9" fish finder for the 360? It would seem to me that the 9" is manufactured for a down imaging only??

The MEGA 360 is a rotating Side Imaging transducer. Units that will run the MEGA 360 have to be SI+ or DI+. In the Helix models, those are G3N or G4N. The MEGA 360 connects to the display's transducer port and uses the two SI circuit locations, and ONLY does 360 and Side Imaging. It REPLACES Side Imaging on a Side Imaging+ unit and ADDS Side Imaging to a Down Imaging+ unit. If you want Temp/2D/DI on the same unit, that has to be either shared from another unit via Ethernet, or from another transducer connected to the transducer port via Y cable with both the transducer and MEGA 360 connected to it.
Humminbird has three Helix models for each display size==CHIRP or Down Imaging or Side Imaging. A Down Imaging model would be the most economical choice since you cannot use Side Imaging from a Side Imaging transducer with a MEGA 360 attached. I prefer to have MEGA 360 using the whole display, not shared with any other views so I link another unit with no transducer attached and share CHART/2D/DI from the unit with the MEGA 360 and other transducer attached.

A lot of great data here Wayne, i really appreciate it. I had been trying to contact Humminbird but got tired of sitting on hold. I like you thought on the DI being the primary screen for the 360. Being that my bow fishfinder is a Helix 9" DI Gen 3 I think I will go with that thought and turn it into the 360.
thanks again Wayne.

Al

Latest posts

Back