U of Mass. Student - Tillman NOT a hero

• Thread starter William H. (Bill) Barham
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

William H. (Bill) Barham

Reaction score
Don't know if any of you have seen this - Personally, it makes me sick!

AMHERST, Mass. -- A University of Massachusetts student has openly criticized Pat Tillman, calling the former NFL player a Rambo-like idiot in the school paper.

The column in question was submitted by graduate student Rene Gonzalez and published Wednesday in the Daily Collegian. It was titled "Pat Tillman is not a hero: he got what was coming to him."

Gonzalez writes that Tillman was a "Rambo" who probably acted out of "nationalist patriotic fantasies." In his own neighborhood in Puerto Rico, according to Gonzalez, Tillman would not have been considered a hero, but a "pendejo," or idiot.

The column drew harsh criticism from many on campus. University president Jack Wilson says the op-ed piece was "disgusting, arrogant and intellectually immature."

Tillman, who gave up his NFL career to join the Army Rangers in 2002, was killed in combat one week ago in Afghanistan. The military announced on Wednesday that he has been posthumously promoted to the rank of corporal and awarded the Purple Heart and Meritorious Service Medal.

"You know he was a real Rambo, who wanted to be in the 'real' thick of things," Gonzalez writes in his column, which is posted on the collegiate paper's Web site. "I could tell he was that type of macho guy, from his scowling, beefy face on the CNN pictures. Well, he got his wish. Even Rambo got shot in the third movie, but in real life, you die as a result of being shot. They should call Pat Tillman's army life 'Rambo 4: Rambo Attempts to Strike Back at His Former Rambo 3 Taliban Friends, and Gets Killed.'"

Gonzalez also says that Tillman's service was not "necessary."

"It wasn't like he was defending the East coast from an invasion of a foreign power. THAT would have been heroic and laudable," Gonzalez writes. "What he did was make himself useful to a foreign invading army, and he paid for it. It's hard to say I have any sympathy for his death because I don't feel like his 'service' was necessary. He wasn't defending me, nor was he defending the Afghani people. He was acting out his macho, patriotic crap and I guess someone with a bigger gun did him in."

In a letter to its readers Thursday, the Daily Collegian says Gonzalez' opinion in no way reflects that of the newspaper's editorial board. A column by one of the editors praising Tillman's sacrifice ran in the paper next to the one by Gonzalez.

"We do not hold back from printing news stories, columns or editorials that may upset our readership -- instead, we seek to both inform and stir debate through our publication," the letter, also posted on the Web site, reads. "Our decision to publish Gonzalez's column -- an opinion piece written by a member of our campus community -- is the only way for us to live up to this ideal."

Tillman will be eulogized at a public memorial service in his hometown of San Jose, Calif., early next week, and funeral arrangements are pending.

The body of Tillman arrived at Dover Air Force Base in Delaware on Monday. His brother, Spc. Kevin Tillman, also a Ranger with the 2nd Battalion of the 75th Ranger Regiment, was expected to accompany the body to the funeral home, Lawrence said.

Tillman was killed in a firefight on a road near Sperah, about 25 miles

I think the punk needs to go BACK to HIS native land if he wants to start trashing OUR heroes. Good thing I'm not on that campus, I'd have the entire offensive line outside his dorm room tonight.

That's the great thing about this country. Any MORON with a keyboard can write anything that pops into their little brain. The fact that we discussing this is just what that little $^*@head wanted. She got her 5 minutes of fame.

I'm all for questioning the intellegence and ethics of the Generals and political leaders but the grunts in the field are off limits.

Harpo

I agree...lets leave our thoughts and prayers for those kids over there on our minds at all times. Bashing them does nothing but harm their moral. Anyone remember Viet Nam?

Harpo, nobody is off limits.

As we debate this point, six U.S. GIs are being charged for abusing Iraqi prisoners. The images recently unveiled of the abuse add more fuel to the anti-American sentiment.

Yes, honor the sacrifices made by those in uniform, but everyone is accountable and nobody is above the open criticism and debate that set our nation apart from tyrannical regimes.

Pat Tillman was a hero. Saying otherwise doesn't make Gonzalez a bad American. Just an idiot.

You're right Rich. What a national public relations nightmare. Now the Arabs are saying that Bush is no better than Saddam. What could those idiots have been thinking. If I were the President I would see those troops standing in front of my desk in the Oval Office for an ear scorching they would never forget and then a dishonorable discharge and what ever else I could think of.

I was thinking more of combat troops in the line of fire with my comments but even those guys are not above the law and the "Moral ABC's".

Harpo

Theres a vet cemetary right down the road from me.Full of heros.Each and eveyone of them.I would say the punk has never fired a weapon much less surved in the military.The important thing is that his purse matches his shoes!Probably one of Clintons relatives.Sorry to poke fun at time like this.If he hasnt faced a man trying to kill him he hasnt any room to talk.

This has been all over the radio here in MA. My opinion is that it should have never been published in the first place! It's a school paper, not the Boston Globe, and the editior should be fired for letting it happen. Freedom of Speach, yes, I agree every AMERICAN should have it...

This kid should be deported back to his homeland and he can attend college there.... idiot

Everyone has the right to say whatever he wants, no matter how idiotic.. If I was to send him anywhere, he would find himself in desert fatigues landing in Irac and then assigned to a combat unit. Let's see if he would then seek to have these "Rambo" types with "nationalist patriotic fantasies", save his butt. I would bet he would...

Bill

OK,

I think that it is good that Gonzalez spoke his opinion. That means he is free to do so.

Do I agree with his opinion? A great hearty NO. But also do not agree with the PR bashing either. They are a semi-part of the US and they have Guard troops that do help out. The are PR's that are in the Armed Forces that put out as much as a mainlanders do.

On Mr. Tillmann, he gave the ultimate sacrifice for OUR country. He gave all so that this discussion can go on.

I can only hope that others like Mr. Gonzalez get educated and really see what goes on in the world. We, as US citizes, have a very utopic view of what is going on in the world (maybe that should be a narrow view) If some of the people were to get out and really see how good we have it, then maybe they would be a bit more supportive. I would like to see how they do in some backwater country that has a despot in charge. Bet they would run home to the US then. Anyway, I digress. Discussion is good, some of the other stuff is not good.

Just my opinion

Carlos

Added edit here---> If I got the chance, I would probally not like to meet this guy in person, as I would get in trouble.

While I am only guessing... I bet Pat Tillman would have said that he died so that anyone here in the U.S. could express themself just as this grad student did. Whether he was from Puerto Rico... or Peoria... he gets to xpress his opinion... Now, getting to express an opinion is not however a guarantee that someone who is offended by that "opinion" might not express an opposing view or react profoundly. So, if one of Pat Tillman's friends, admirers, does happen to react to this "opinion"..."profoundly"... I would have to say... "not surprised"! One always wants to try to remember to "put brain in gear before engaging mouth"... I personally would "profoundly" beat the snot out of the punk... just as an expression of my opinion... my opinion of him! I'm not the same caliber of Pat Tillman; I'm probably a whole lot less... So, the lesson in that is just that; Pat Tillman was a very special kind of unselfish patriot... not many like him...

EVERY fallen soldier is a hero PERIOD. Everyone in the military is a hero PERIOD. This is a simple case of a young college student pushing the envelope of freedom of speech. If I am not mistaken, any one of us could have written that, but we have more life experience and probably more respect for our armed services. In Tillman's case he was doing what he was supposed to do. It is no different than the jet jockeys that caught that tram line in Italy, the Italian government wanted to prosecute them for murder, said they were flying under the "ceiling". IMHO, they were doing what they were trained to do. We don't want fighter pilots who are cautious auto pilot flyers.

This shouldn't get any more press, it is an indescretion of youth. Public sentiment will brand this kid for life, he/she (I can't figure out which) will carry the results of the article for a long time.

TOXIC

Carlos...

I see you too suffer from the "do as I say... not as I do...".....

C arlos... Thanks for nothing buddy! (LOL)

Now... you tell me to pay no attention to me... AFTER all these years I finally get good advice... Think of all the mistakes I've made unnecessarily following myself. Where were you when I was young and dumb... And, I needed good advice... Now it doesn't matter... I've already become a crumudgeon...