Type IV throwable PFD where do you keep them?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Hutchison

Reaction score
In VA you can not have your throwable PDF in a closed compartment ? where do you all keep yours?

(Each Type IV throwable PFD must be immediately available. "Immediately available" means the PFD shall be quickly reachable in an emergency situation. An immediately available PFD cannot be in a protective covering, in a closed compartment or under other equipment.)

Use a bungy cord or a velcro strap to hold it in place.. In the 911 under the passenger console.

I've been checked in Ohio and Tenn. and never been an issue with it if the front compartment (on top).

I think the big issue is accessability.

TEE - not in Virginia. It has to be out. It's the dumbest rule I've ever seen, and I have been checked on it. I was fishing alone, in an area with nobody else around, and the game warden still almost gave me a ticket because it was in my forward tackle storage (not underneath anything - right on top). I had to put it out "at all times" according to the game warden. I asked "how about when I move", and he told me that was the only acceptable time for it to be in storage.

I like BMCD's suggestion. I just added a second console, so I'm going to bungee cord it to the front wall underneath - pretty much in the same area as my fire extinguisher under the drivers console.

All the best,

Glenn

I keep mine under my console since I have a single console. It stands upright and really doesn't take up that much space.

The only time a Ranger ever asked to see mine was in Texas at Lake Fork. Of course I started out behind the 8 ball with the guy because of my OU ball-cap that I was wearing. :rolleyes: He wanted to see everything...even checked my fire extinguisher. When he asked to see the throw cushion it was waaaaaay up under the drivers seat in my old PT-185. I had to unload a mushroom anchor, several coils of rope, a paddle, and an extra PFD to get to it. Once he saw it, he was satisfied....what a farce.

Boy, I sure do miss all that under the seat storage on my 591. :(

Harpo

I get checked alot on St Clair and it can be stowed in Michigan and Ontario but they want it accessible and able to retreive in less than 30.

It stays in a rear compartment, on top of everything else in there.

Mine is under the passenger console... bungee cord holds it upright to the front and it has 30 ft of rope coiled behind it with a snap and a small float on the end of the rope...

I keep mine in a compartment. Georgia law says "accessible," but does not define what accessible means. The couple of times I've been checked, it hasn't been an issue.

My guess is, if a ranger tickets you on that issue, and you are willing to go to court, you can beat it. Just another form of taxation.

Rich,

My issue with it is during tournaments. Since we agree to abide by all state laws, and follow all safety precautions, anyone wanting to protest you for not having it out, can do so, and "legally" have you disqualified from the tournament. Kind of like wearing lifejackets when the outboard is running. I'd rather not risk a disqualification.

Glenn

Pa law says within an arms reach at all times. I was ticketed one time while fishing alone and my question was "who is going to throw it to me if I fall in" No answer was given of course. Fine was $68.00.

Sounds like another friggin' "grey" area of the law.

I just read Ohio's law...and it doesn't define accessible either.

I'll call watercraft tonite....I'm curious now:unsure:

Glenn, Thats what got me thinking you have the rule that they repeat 100 times about the

lifejackets and kill switch but never thought about the throwable and I can't recall ever seeing guys pulling out there throwable including me.

If a person is knocked out when they hit the water, a throwable won't be much good anyway.

In Ky it just states that "Boats 16 feet and over, except canoes and kayaks, must also carry one Type IV throwable PFD". Doesn't state anything specific about the Type IV being accessible, however, a following paragraph states: "Accessibility: PFD's must be readily avaiable for immdeiate use by all occupants of a vessel". I guess the powers-to-be in Ky could cite you if they wanted to include the Type IV's into that description, ie., "Accessibility: PFD's...". I keep my Type IV directly under the psgr seat in the PT175. Not much else would fit under there with it :rolleyes:

Okay, the above was quoted from the KY 2007 Sport & Boating Guide. Below is a cut & paste from the KY Boating safety website:

"Section 4. Personal Flotation Devices. (1) An operator of a Class 1, 2, or 3 recreational vessel shall have on board a minimum of:

(a) One (1) Type I, Type II or Type III personal flotation device for each person on board the vessel; and

(b) Except for canoes or kayaks, one (1) Type IV personal flotation device.

(2) An operator of a Class A recreational vessel shall have on board a minimum of one (1) Type I, Type II, or Type III personal flotation device for each person on board the vessel.

(3) Personal flotation devices shall be:

(a) Approved by the U.S. Coast Guard; and

(b) In good and serviceable condition.

(4) Type I, II, or III personal flotation devices shall be of appropriate size for the wearer and readily accessible.

(5) Type IV personal flotation devices shall be immediately available to the user."

"Type IV personal flotation devices shall be immediately available to the user"

That's tricky, since the "user" is presumably in the water.

The lawyer who wrote that obviously hasn't spent much time driving a boat. Or on a boat. Or even thinking about a boat.

Hutch

When I was in Va. my throwable was attached by velcro to side under the rider's console.

My line was in a plastic bucket next to it.

I was checked many times and as long as they could see it, OK.

cq

From the Virginia DGIF Regulations, copied and pasted:

Each Type IV throwable PFD must be immediately available. "Immediately available" means the PFD shall be quickly reachable in an emergency situation. An immediately available PFD cannot be in a protective covering, in a closed compartment or under other equipment.

All the best,

Glenn

I like the Velcro idea better than my bungee. I will be switching tomorrow. thanks for the idea. ;)

That's tricky, since the "user" is presumably in the water.

:lol::lol:Good point Rich:lol::lol:

I just Marylands DNR "rules" and this is all I could find..

"Life jackets must be Coast Guard approved, in good and serviceable condition, readily

available and of appropriate size for the intended user. Throwable devices (Type IV) must

be immediately available. Though not required, a life jacket should be worn at all times

when the vessel is underway.
"

I also spent a little time at Delawares DNR site but couldn't find anything.

Uncle Billy

I do what Uncle Billy does and have my throwable under the driver's console of my PT175. Its standing upright along the far left side of the boat. Been checked on the cold side and no issue. When the warden asked where it was, I pulled it out from under the console and showed her. No questions, just "have a nice day!"

Latest posts

Back