Two Time Targa Owner

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tlhdually

Reaction score
Hi y'all, Bought my second Targa in February of 2019. I still own my 2005 Targa V-18 WT with a 115hp Optimax and a 9.9hp Merc. kicker. The new one is a V-19 WT with the 200hp Pro XS and also a 9.9hp Merc. Pro Kicker. Just here to see about other Targa Owners. Maybe some tips and advice.

Hi y'all, Bought my second Targa in February of 2019. I still own my 2005 Targa V-18 WT with a 115hp Optimax and a 9.9hp Merc. kicker. The new one is a V-19 WT with the 200hp Pro XS and also a 9.9hp Merc. Pro Kicker. Just here to see about other Targa Owners. Maybe some tips and advice.
Im also running a new V-19 Targa with a 200 Pro XS and 9.9 pro kicker. Out of curiosity, what top speed are you getting at what RPM?

The older one was at the Las Vegas Bass Pro and the new one from a Tracker Dealer in Midland, TX. I get about 49 mph at 5800 RPMs. I can trim it out more and RPMs go up but not any more speed and about 6000 RPMs you can tell it is cavitating. I think it has a Tempest prop, but it is a 17 pitch.

OK. I was reading some stuff and they were saying some tuning needs to be done. I'm getting about 48 MPH trimmed down all the way but only about 5400 RPM. I'm gonna play with the trim a little.

Yeah, Are you new to boating? What is your altitude? If you are trimmed all the way down, trimming up you will see a noticeable change in RPMs and MPHs. At some point you will start cavitating the prop., Somewhere in there would be your sweet spot, MPHs is not increasing and you are not over max RPMs(6200). It may only be 5800-5900 RPMs, Prop, Altitude, and Load all play a part in where it levels out.

Yeah, Are you new to boating? What is your altitude? If you are trimmed all the way down, trimming up you will see a noticeable change in RPMs and MPHs. At some point you will start cavitating the prop., Somewhere in there would be your sweet spot, MPHs is not increasing and you are not over max RPMs(6200). It may only be 5800-5900 RPMs, Prop, Altitude, and Load all play a part in where it levels out.
I'm not new to boating, I've just always had older boats without power trim. So in this arena I'm new to it. My altitude is pretty much sea level and I'm mostly on the California Delta. Thanks for the info. I'll play with it tomorrow and see what it does.

I got mine at the Manteca, CA. location.

I finally got out on the water since my last post. Turns out playing with the trim helps quite a bit (of course you guys knew that already). I'm getting about 50mph @ 6000rpm fully loaded. That sounds pretty consistent with what everyone else is getting out of the Targa's

That great. I took my out last weekend, got 46mph @ 6000rpm with 5 adults, 1 kid, cooler and full live well with most of my fishing gear.

Sie805, Curious at what hole is your 200 mounted in? Mine is in the bottom hole and the top of the prop is about even with the bottom of the keel.

My 2019 V-19 combo with a 175 is mounted in the third hole from the top. My top speed is only around 45 but that’s on a lake that’s at 6200 feet.

Attachments

• 0B9F0CD0-3864-44F6-91F9-01BE4482053F.jpeg
    0B9F0CD0-3864-44F6-91F9-01BE4482053F.jpeg
    204.8 KB · Views: 12
Thanks, Ltwrangler. That is pretty good for high altitude. I run in water from 1000 to 3500 feet and get 48 at best. I was wondering if lowering the motor might get the bow up more as it seems to run like the bow is heavy no matter how I trim it. The bow will come up so far and then quits as I start rooster tailing. Maybe getting more of the boat out of the water might make it go faster. I like the motor cover.

Tlhdually, it might just be the design of the deep V hull to allow it to run smoother in rough water. This is our third deep V and they all ran the same. Ours seems to run just slightly above flat once on plane. If the trim is all the way down it will push the nose deeper into the water and basically start plowing. If I trim up too much, it’ll start to cavitating. Our sweet spot seems to be at about the half way point on the trim gauge. But these aren’t the most accurate gauges from boat to boat. Our 45 mph is on Lake Tahoe but only two people in the boat. We generally run at 35 mph. The 10 mph difference amounts to almost double the fuel consumption. Our boat may be heavier in the stern as all four batteries are located in the very back. They moved two of them to mis boat in 2020. Generally our swim step is a 1/2 in the water when stopped. The engine cover is from Oceansouth. It really helps here against the hot sun.

Attachments

• DFD95240-955D-48E5-962C-2DF77CE60DED.jpeg
    DFD95240-955D-48E5-962C-2DF77CE60DED.jpeg
    240.4 KB · Views: 9
Yeah, Ltwranger, Mine sets about the same with the heavier motor and the 9.9 kicker. I still have my 2005 V-18 and it runs with the bow higher and seems like more of the boat is out of the water with it's little 115hp. I love the ride and responsiveness of the new boat, but like I said before it seems to plow. In rough water it has a tendency to splash the waves out in front of the boat trying to get you wet. This is the third deep V for me too, this one is hard to get the bow up when i need it. I got to go to Lake Tahoe for the first time 2 years ago, I envy you. I was thinking about how much fun it would be to fish it on our "cruise' to Thunderbird Lodge. I lived in Wyoming for 26 year and miss the beauty and the water clarity of the many lakes I fished there. I do the same to conserve fuel. Thanks for the info on the cover.

Back