TV-18 vs. glass

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gator B

Reaction score
I've been thinking about getting a bigger boat. I owned a tracker V-14 and I now own a 16 ft. Lowe Roughneck. I fish in a small club in NJ and a few of our tournaments are on bigger lakes and rivers like the Potomac, Hudson and Delaware rivers, and Lake Hopatcong. I have been lucky so far with the roughneck as far as the weather and conditions go and will stay in creeks like Mattowoman on the Potomac. I did a search on aluminum vs. glass on this site and found most of the conversations were from several years ago. I recently saw a Bass Pro Shops segment that featured Rick Clunn talking about the Tournament V-18 and how this boat is all you need to compete in tournaments on most lakes and rivers in the US(except Erie). I missed some of the segment and did not hear why it was an advantage over glass.

Can you buy a similar boat in glass like a Ranger,Skeeter, or Triton for the same price as a TV-18 w/ a 150? I know a glass will get better handling and speed but I don't think I need to go 60+ mph. Does anyone know how fast a recent model TV-18 is? Is a TV-18 lighter than a similar glass boat? I prefer the aluminum for the maintenance issues and feel that I would be concerned about scratching the glass.

Thanks for any info. guys. Great site you have here!

Glass vs Aluminum is a personal preference thing for many. Both have advantages, and sometimes people don't agree over the advantages / disadvantages either.

"Most of the time" (not all of the time), my experience with Aluminum is that I can get further back into shallow areas than I can with my fiberglass boat. Sometimes, I don't "need" to be back in those areas, but I can't help it - I want to check them out. At times like that, I'd really like aluminum.

Maintenance - 6 of one, half dozen of another. There can be arguements for each, but the fact is both can end up looking like heck if you don't take care of the finish. Either one can oxidize in the sun and harsh environments, although they both do it in different ways. Coatings on aluminum can keep them looking fresh and nice, as witnessed by several talented individuals on this site. But then again... so can fiberglass.

My personal experience is that aluminum is almost always lighter than fiberglass. I've seen some exceptions, but I really wouldn't want to ride in a ultra-thin fiberglass rig just to save weight either, so that is kind of a mute point.

Speed - don't discount the speed of aluminum! I've seen an Xpress with a 250 on it, and it looked like it was literally flying. Speaking of Xpress - they make a nice looking all-welded aluminum boat that is rigged like a fiberglass rig. You might want to check them out. Not quite my thing, but if I was looking for aluminum, that would probably be it. They make a 19 and 21 footer in their Xclusive Series, and you can even get them in some metal flake colors, so it looks almost like a fiberglass boat too.

Can't help you on the prices. Sorry. Just haven't priced those lately.

All the best,

Glenn

Hey Gator,

Aluminum will also save you GAS in the tow vehical. Biggest consideration is the bodies of water you will be fishing. Open water or back water, Logs or rocks, all things to take into consideration.

I have had both. As Glenn stated there are + & - for both. I currently have a Bay boat that I fish fresh and salt. I sure do miss my PT 175. Easy on and off trailer. No worries about chiping the gel coat. But My Triton TR 186 was very stable and offered more deck space.

I have many lakes close that are TM only. I was fishing 3-4 times a week when I had my Tracker. When I got the Triton that was cut in half. Now with the Bay boat its once a week and Fresh or salt depends on whats biting where.

Its all give and take. In the end you have to weigh it all out and figure whats best for you. If I were to buy another fresh water specific boat it would be either the PT 190 or the TV-18. Thats based on the water I have available within 20 miles. 4 TM only lakes and rivers that really dont get too rough.

My 02 cents

Good luck with the decision!!!

Mark

I am a little reluctant to chime in here because I am pretty inexperienced but I've had my '05 TV-18 for a little over a year now, I love it. It has a 115 and scoots along pretty well in my opinion. If I would have bought it new I would have been sure to get the 150. As for the stability, I don't have glass experience BUT it's a whole lot more stable than a 16ft valco. :lol:

I've had both also. I Now have a Aluminum Tundra and used to have a Nitro. I can say that I actually like glass better. Just do. I can't find anything to complain about with my Tundra, it makes a monkey out of other boats in rough water and is beyond comfortable to fish out of. I'm stuck with it now but I'd buy glass if I had to do it over again.

fatrap

Thanks for the replies guys. Dan, I'm def. keeping the roughneck so I may end up w/ 2 tin boats.

Gator - I have an '02 TV18 with a 150 which replaced a fiberglass Nitro. I do somewhat regret not going with fiberglass for a few reasons. First, the TV18 is a very light boat which equates to getting beat up pretty hard in heavy weather. I fish St Clair alot, and have experienced it in a fiberglass rig of comparitive length, and there really is no comparison..the TV18 is a bone jarring ride. Second, because of it's weight again, it gets blown around fairly easy and I find myself on the trolling motor alot more than others in glass rigs. It does have an unbelievable hole shot, but once up and running, most glass 18 footers with a 150 will have no problem passing me up. The amount of gas I save is really negligible either towing or running the boat itself. As far as upkeep, I do all the same washing, waxing, carpet cleaning as I did with my glass rig, and I still avoid bumping stumps, hitting docks, getting too shallow ect. I do like the boat, it fishes well, I've had few problems with it, especially now that I have it set up to my liking. It is very stable considering the weight, but not as much as a glass rig. My usual partner is an average size dude, and I do feel him moving around the back deck more than I did in my glass rig. All in all, I'm mildly pleased with the boat, but my next one will definately be glass again.

Thanks Smitty. Do you know if the newer models are designed any better to handle rough conditions? Would you get a Nitro again? I hear that they are lighter than a similar size Ranger,Triton, or Skeeter and that Nitros don't handle rough conditions as good.

Its really not the design of the hull that affects the TV18's rough water ride..it's the weight..you'll get equally beat up in a light hulled glass rig. There are quite a few design changes to the newer TV18's compared to my '02, but most are cosmetic, like nicer upolstery, carpet ect, and of course the dry storage lockers which mine does not have and is a major hassle and pet peeve of mine. I'm really not familiar enuff with all the boats out there to comment on thier weights and their rides in rough water, u can go to their respective web sites and compare specs. I will say that my old glass rig was heavier than my current TV18, but a foot shorter, but not quite as wide. I would compare the two rides as being equal. I have been out in quite a few Nitro's, up to the big 21 footers, and they rode amazingly well in rough water, but so did Mac's Ranger and Neeley's Skeeter and a buddy's Triton. Last but not least, u CANNOT discount the ability of an experienced driver behind the wheel of any rig. Someone who knows how to drive big water can definately make a difference with just about any boat. It won't necessarily be "smooth sailing", but it will be "smoother sailing". All things being equal, I would personally give up some speed over ride any day. It's a rare day when u can open up a rig on St Clair..I would rather be comfortable throughout the day, than sore at the end of it.

Latest posts

Back