Turn off trim power?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nkan01

Reaction score
Just bought a new 2022 Z19 Pro. It doesn’t look like I can turn off power to the motor trim. I have the main power switch and when off there is no power to anything on the boat except the trim. I wouldn’t mind much but I have 4 kids and they’ll inevitability be climbing on the boat in the garage with little extra space for the boat. I’m afraid they’re going to hit the trim controls and smash the motor into the wall! Am I missing a power control/switch somewhere? Is this normal for the new nitro setup? If it is normal is there a way to change it? Any insight would be awesome- Thanks!

Your power to the engine for the tilt and trim comes directly from the starting battery and never goes forward to the dash so the main power switch does not isolate it. If you install a battery disconnect you wil have the engine isolated. Black line inline to house power indicates main power switch.
Wiring.png

Butch has the safest and best solution. But there may be circuits that receive power even with the main power switch off, such as radios, automatic bilge pumps, etc. If you need to reset the time and station presets when you use the battery disconnect, and that is a problem, you may want to install the battery disconnect only between the battery and engine. If there are other wires connected to the battery, you may want to leave them connected to the battery, dependent on what they control. Just a few things that may help (or confuse).
Also, congrats on the new boat.
I'm curious. Is there anything else you had to get for the boat?

Your power to the engine for the tilt and trim comes directly from the starting battery and never goes forward to the dash so the main power switch does not isolate it. If you install a battery disconnect you wil have the engine isolated. Black line inline to house power indicates main power switch.View attachment 2140
Thanks for the feedback. I think it's connected a little different than the diagram. The cranking battery has one set of wires going directly to engine and one going to the main power switch. At least that's what I think I'm seeing. I attached a pic - the set of black wires that loop down and then up near the center of the image are + and - from the cranking battery (left) going to the engine directly. The red wire (cutting across the middle of the image) goes to the main power switch that cuts power to the rest of the boat. Regardless, I think you're right that there is a set of wires from the cranking batter going directly to the engine that I didn't appreciate before. I appreciate your info!
IMG_1176.jpeg

Butch has the safest and best solution. But there may be circuits that receive power even with the main power switch off, such as radios, automatic bilge pumps, etc. If you need to reset the time and station presets when you use the battery disconnect, and that is a problem, you may want to install the battery disconnect only between the battery and engine. If there are other wires connected to the battery, you may want to leave them connected to the battery, dependent on what they control. Just a few things that may help (or confuse).
Also, congrats on the new boat.
I'm curious. Is there anything else you had to get for the boat?
Thanks for your feedback as well. I just got it less than 1 week ago, but so far I haven't had to buy anything related to boat. I got a few of the upgrades beyond the standard pro package - auto bilge, center seat, HDSLive 12 (x2), 36V setup with 4 bank charger and the cover. It's a pretty sweet setup. So, I've really just had to buy all the fun stuff/gear I didn't already have to fill the boat. Eventually, I will likely get power poles as well. There's still ice on the lakes where I am but I'm counting the days to test it on the water - should be any day now!!!

Looks like to me that they only have the boat wiring shut off from the battery switch. If you want to shut everything off take the positive lead from the outboard and put it on the common side of the battery switch or the positive side of the terminal block that will kill all power to the boat and motor .

Im not trying to hijack the thread. I am thinking about installing one of these on my 08 189 sport as well. I still have the ghost drain I can't figure out. I need something that completely kills the power. I had been removing the negative battery terminals.

Mrs Boss and I went fishing for the first time since last Nov and the starting battery was completely dead. Seems one of the negative terminals made contact with the negative battery post even though it was disconnected and out of the way (or so I thought).

Any recommendations on a good one?

Im not trying to hijack the thread. I am thinking about installing one of these on my 08 189 sport as well. I still have the ghost drain I can't figure out. I need something that completely kills the power. I had been removing the negative battery terminals.

Mrs Boss and I went fishing for the first time since last Nov and the starting battery was completely dead. Seems one of the negative terminals made contact with the negative battery post even though it was disconnected and out of the way (or so I thought).

Any recommendations on a good one?

Blue Seas, Cole Herse, Perko. and Marineco they all make battery switches. On and Off also Off -On- Bat. 1 Bat 2 and Both. My favorite is Cole Herse a little expensive but will out last the others. From $35.00 - $120.00

Latest posts

Back