Troubleshooting 12V 43 lb Motorguide trolling motor

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berry Lindley

Reaction score
I could use some help. I have the original TM that came on my boat, and today it quit working. I have adequate power/voltage to the front plug, and on to the pedal. I jumped 12 volts of power to the motor itself, and it seems to run just fine so I am pretty sure a switch in the pedal is bad. I think the Microswitch in the pedal is fine, all that seems to leave is the rotary switch, and the 3 position switch. Any help on identifying the culprit is much appreciated. Thanks

Thanks, I think I can get parts locally, I really could use some help identifying which switch is not functioning properly.

To bench test yourself between to two switches isolated you will need to take a multimeter and look for voltage coming into the three way switch and make sure dang near equal voltage is coming out when triggered momentary or constant. The rheostat or rotary switch (1-5 selectable) is only limiting/administrating the voltage power received. The three way would be my first look between the two and if it checks with power in and out, I'd be willing to bet the speed switch is toast. Good luck! ;)

How did the main three way toggle switch check out? If you are getting good power to the up (momentary) and down (hi-bypass) sides you might want to check the pedal actuator switch again. That microswitch boot can wear through and give the appearance and feeling that you are engaging the switch as usual, but in actuality you aren't making full contact. I carry spare boots and a spare microswitch as I've been on the water and had just that happen. Good luck! ;)

That microswitch boot can wear through and give the appearance and feeling that you are engaging the switch as usual, but in actuality you aren't making full contact. I carry spare boots and a spare microswitch as I've been on the water and had just that happen. Good luck! ;)

Dan, you're like the Swiss army knife of bass boaters.

Well I finally got it figured out. There was a bad place in the wiring between the plug to the pedal. It was burned just enough to allow current to pass, but not function under a load. I about gave up on this, I just could not understand why I was seeing current but no motor movement.... I now know more about trolling motor wires and switches than I ever wanted to know......Thanks for you help.

Good deal! Nothing worse than trying to hunt down a ghost. At least now your TM familiarity will come in handy in the future should a new problem arise. I just hope it's not for a very long time. Good luck! ;)

Well I finally got it figured out. There was a bad place in the wiring between the plug to the pedal. It was burned just enough to allow current to pass, but not function under a load. I about gave up on this, I just could not understand why I was seeing current but no motor movement.... I now know more about trolling motor wires and switches than I ever wanted to know......Thanks for you help.
I have the same TM as you. I have a 1998 175 Pro purchased the end of February. TM does not work and I can't find the serial number, where is it located?

Latest posts

Back