1. Welcome to Nitro & Tracker Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Troubleshooting 12V 43 lb Motorguide trolling motor

Thread in 'Marine Electronics' started by Berry Lindley, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Berry Lindley

Berry Lindley Well-Known Member

I could use some help. I have the original TM that came on my boat, and today it quit working. I have adequate power/voltage to the front plug, and on to the pedal. I jumped 12 volts of power to the motor itself, and it seems to run just fine so I am pretty sure a switch in the pedal is bad. I think the Microswitch in the pedal is fine, all that seems to leave is the rotary switch, and the 3 position switch. Any help on identifying the culprit is much appreciated. Thanks

2. Dan J.

Dan J. Well-Known Member

This link below to Boats.net (Partszilla engine) should be a great help. Enter your serial number and you should see the parts in question and their part numbers. From there you can source replacements from a multitude of online and storefront suppliers. Good luck! ;)

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Merc2/Motorguide/parts.html

3. Berry Lindley

Thanks, I think I can get parts locally, I really could use some help identifying which switch is not functioning properly.

4. Dan J.

Dan J. Well-Known Member

To bench test yourself between to two switches isolated you will need to take a multimeter and look for voltage coming into the three way switch and make sure dang near equal voltage is coming out when triggered momentary or constant. The rheostat or rotary switch (1-5 selectable) is only limiting/administrating the voltage power received. The three way would be my first look between the two and if it checks with power in and out, I'd be willing to bet the speed switch is toast. Good luck! ;)

5. Berry Lindley

Thanks, I am betting on the speed switch.

6. Berry Lindley

Was not the speed switch, back to the drawing board......

7. Dan J.

Dan J. Well-Known Member

How did the main three way toggle switch check out? If you are getting good power to the up (momentary) and down (hi-bypass) sides you might want to check the pedal actuator switch again. That microswitch boot can wear through and give the appearance and feeling that you are engaging the switch as usual, but in actuality you aren't making full contact. I carry spare boots and a spare microswitch as I've been on the water and had just that happen. Good luck! ;)

8. rbstern

rbstern Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Dan, you're like the Swiss army knife of bass boaters.

9. Dan J.

Dan J. Well-Known Member

:)

My wife just thinks I've just spent too much time in and out of boats. :D

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  10. Berry Lindley

Well I finally got it figured out. There was a bad place in the wiring between the plug to the pedal. It was burned just enough to allow current to pass, but not function under a load. I about gave up on this, I just could not understand why I was seeing current but no motor movement.... I now know more about trolling motor wires and switches than I ever wanted to know......Thanks for you help.

11. Dan J.

Dan J. Well-Known Member

Good deal! Nothing worse than trying to hunt down a ghost. At least now your TM familiarity will come in handy in the future should a new problem arise. I just hope it's not for a very long time. Good luck! ;)

12. David Romano

David Romano Member

I have the same TM as you. I have a 1998 175 Pro purchased the end of February. TM does not work and I can't find the serial number, where is it located?