trolling motor

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassfisher

Reaction score
I got a issue with t/m I am trying to find out what / how it is wired? Just got back from shop for other issue guy took front panel off said it has been wired direct, they either cut or drill out female plug adaptor and wired 12v only. I have 3 batteries , previous owner replaced one which is 27 group , there is 1 more 27 and smaller on looks like a crank battery think it suppose to be wired up to other how ever the smaller one is dead at moment.
I am going disconnect battery terminal see if have power and what battery is what, and go from there. I have 12/24 toggle switch at bow, T/M is M/G Tracker pro series 41 if this helps.
I know when I switch to 12/24 doesn't work only 12v . I am not planning on replacing right now but sometime in future

Follow up for last post. I took off cable to the older group 27 battery that i think was t/m battery, t/m did not work as i thought. The one next to it is a smaller crank battery from what I can tell which is dead. Looks like the wires are ran as single connection I don't see a jumper wire or them being hooked up together which I assume is the way 12/24 v is hooked up? Never had that type set up.
Tried the other battery which has been replaced short time ago, It was the starting battery engine would not crank if unhooked. I have not looked behind panel yet at wires/ plug if it is not all jacked up should I be able to install a new female plug at panel and use existing wire in place and hook up new 12v t/m if I can it out?
Thanks

I just went through all this last winter with my 97 185sf. The trolling motor, plug and receiver are for 12 or 24 volt. The trolling motor can only be hooked up one way, either 12v or 24v. Right now it sounds like the t/m is wired for 12v. I took the motor guide off and put a new Terrova on. Just make sure the positive wire has circuit breaker between battery and t/m.

I had a 12/24 volt tm on my previous boat. The two batteries for the trolling motor should be the same size 27 group. The third battery is for cranking.
The batteries are connected individually to the female plug at the bow. There should be a ground wire and two 12v leads to the plug. There is no jumper or crossover wires on the batteries. They are running parallel vs series. The switch on the pedal is your crossover or jumper . The t/m batteries are deep cycle and the cranking battery is just that. Get a large enough cranking battery for all your lights and electronics. Do not add anything else to the batteries for the trolling motor.

A follow up to your post, every year I switch the tm batteries around so they wear evenly. An onboard charger is nice to have, you need to keep checking water level.

Thanks for the help, right now I going to use as it is, I haven't took boat out yet just got it. After I get some time on the water and more$$ may be upgrading at some point.

Latest posts

Back