Trolling Motor

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Johansen

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a beautiful 1993 190DC that is in excellent shape. I've owned it for 3 years now and the previous owner had just over 200 hours on the main motor, and the rest of the boat shows about as much wear as well. I think I scored a great boat.

What I am wanting to throw out there to you guys is some questions about my trolling motor. It is the original Motorguide Pro 45 12/24 Volt. All I have changed is building and installing a recessed foot pedal tray and I love the way it handles. The only thing is I would like a little more power out of it. I don't feel it owes me anything so I am considering upgrading to a bigger one.

I've tried a friend's Minn Kota Fortrex and besides being HUGE on the bow when stowed up I didn't really care for the foot control. Also I would have to either modify my recessed tray or make another one, which is fine, but I'd rather get the pedal I'm used to using if possible. That leads me back to the Motorguide.

The BPS website reviews are pretty negative towards the Tour Series Motorguides but I don't really want to rely on a few negative comments without asking around. That's where you guys come in!

I'm thinking that I would like to have around 70-80 lbs of thrust and hopefully I can still get the same or more running time out of the batteries due to the newer technology. Am I right in expecting that?

Please give me any comments that you can about it.

Thanks, in advance!

Steve

I am one that doesn't like the MinnKota foot pedals.

Yes, a motor that has a variable speed control will give you a longer run time due to the electronic circuit that controls the motor speed.

Get the most powerful one you can afford and have enough battery room--you can't have too much trolling motor power.

I have two Motor Guide Tour models. I prefer metal parts.

To echo Wayne's points, I've had numerous Tour Series TM's in 24 & 36V models and have yet to encounter a problem I didn't create. I'd recommend the TE 82 24V for your rig. I've got one on my 19' Skiff and it pulls me around fully loaded in rivers, tide, wave action, etc. with no problem and I can fish remote areas for two or three days without a charge under normal conditions. Minn-Kota makes a good product as well, but I just can't get used to the pedal and prefer the metal components in the TE MG's. Good luck! ;)

Latest posts

Back