Trolling motor steering. Electric or cable?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Johansen

Reaction score
The trolling motor that I am using rightnow is the original 12/24V Motor Guide 45 that came on my 1993 Nitro. It is cable steer and I am used to it. If I was thinking of replacing the motor I would like to know a couple of things. Hopefully you can help...

Electric or Cable steer? What are the benefits of each? From what I've seen the electric steers make noise while steering and the cable steer is silent, although I really like the anchor and follow a track option with the electric steer. Is this basically going to be preference like the old Ford vs Chevy thing?

Also are the new motors THAT much more efficient? If I buy a new 82lb thrust motor will it be any better on the battery than what I have now?

Thanks!

Good questions. First yes the new motors are much more efficient on your battery(s). Personally, the electric steer are not for me. There is a lag from the user input to the change in direction. I know a lot of the walleye boats use the electric and there was a tournament fisherman I knew in FL that had one on a Tahoe he fished out of. It got a lot of use and it was noisy. Bottom line, I'd rather push with my foot instead of my finger:p

TOXIC

I had early versions of both MK and MG electric steer motors. IMHO they dont belong on bass boats. Waleye boats are iffy, I think they are perfect for pontoon boats on lakes with little boat traffic. There is alot that can go wrong with them! But I tell you that new iPilot anchor feature is TEMPTING!!!

MinnKota with iPilot. Best thing i ever got! Point it in the direction you want, the speed (in mph) and let the GPS do its thing. Or if you find a good spot hit anchor, and it keeps you there, in wind or whatever. Or record and save paths. or anchor points, that you can recall later. If i had to use the electric without this, i don't know if i would like it, but the electric with iPiolot is the best. I don't have to think about it at all so i can just fish. And the cool thing is you can tell it to go somewhere and walk around your boat change tackle or whatever while it does all the steering and speed control for you.

It depends on how you fish. If you casually go from spot to spot on low speeds and like to walk around your boat as it navigates to the next spot you picked, then you might want to use a electric steer.

However, if you are anything like me and run from one spot to the next on higher speeds in order to cover water, nothing but cable steering will do. I don't think I could ever personally own an electric steer motor, as I think they react way too slow. When I am navigating at higher speeds, I want my trolling motor to immediately turn when I want it to. Nothing but cable steering does that. I also think that cable steering is more reliable. I've known tournament fishermen that have used electric steer trolling motors - most eventually replace them with cable steering.

All the best,

Glenn

I agree that the electric is not as fast. and it is also makes noise when it turns. I'm on my second year with my powerdrive v2 w/ ipilot and have had no problems. I use it an average of 2x a week. But its just a hobby for me, no tournaments. My batteries last forever. I could easily go 2 days without charging them. And i like not having anything on my deck. That's a big plus of no foot control for me.

BUT, electric without iPilot, sucks!!! The foot control is horrible. Its almost impossible to control the thing. When i first got it without the iPilot i ended up driving the dam thing with my hands, i could not control it with my feet. It doesn't react the same as a cable system at all. So without the iPilot i would definitely not recommend the electric drive. But with it its great, for me anyway.

+1 for IPilot. Hands down the BEST investment that I have made on my rig. Have HDS and StructureScans, however, I fish by myself the majority of the time, along with fishing on cooling lakes (VERY windy) and the IPilot is a GOD SEND!!!! I HIGHLY recommend it if you can get it.

I have always had electric steer... First just plain power drive, then power drive with co-pilot and auto pilot.... And, am considering a replacement with iPilot... But, then I was always a walleye tournament fisherman... The little bass fishing I do I can get by with a slower response time...

But, I have never figured out why they didn't make a foot control like a cable stter with internal electronics to imitate cazble steer control. Even with my limited mentality I know how to do it... maybe I will just do it to prove my point...

BTW... don't know of very many walleye guys who have cable steer. Big boats and trolling were made for co-pilots...

Thanks for the responses! Will probably stick with cable when I replace the one I have. I do a LOT of night fishing and I can tell what direction the motor is pointing just by the position of my foot. Other reasons as well but that one hadn't been mentioned yet!

Thanks again!

I have had my first cable steer for just over 2 weeks now and would never buy cable again. Previously I have always had Auto Pilot Electric Steer and I swear by them. The problem I have with cable is I always have to have my foot on the pedal or it tracks wherever it wants to go and I find standing with one foot on the pedal is uncomfortable and give you a lower back ache.

thommo59 - Troll Perfect makes a quick clamp collar buffer that almost completely eliminates foot swing on your TM. I put them on my boats and it was a world of difference in control. Install one of these and you'll end that problem quick:
http://trollperfect.com/default.aspx

Dan J,

Just wanted to let you know I got my Troll Perfect shipped over here to Australia and it did exactly what you said, now I spend more time casting, not chasing the damn trolling motor!

thanks for the info.

Latest posts

Back