Trolling motor mounts

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This May have been covered before but I would love some new insight. I have a Nitro Savage 20’ and just put a large 36v Fortrex trolling motor on it because the old 55 lb motor was way too slow. The boat is a heavier version than the newer models and the problem I am having is the rubber motor mounts can’t handle the power. I break or wear out one or two a trip without hitting anything. The fortrex has the spring in the shaft for flex but will it flex enough to save my boat if I direct mount the motor to the boat with fender washers and bolts?
Thanks in advance to all you folks that help the rest of us navigate the the ups and downs of boating.

I would try to use as large a piece or pieces of plate metal of some kind under the bow in order to spread the load. Even plywood strips with large washers would add a lot of support to handlethe torque... larger solid piece is always best.

I have used aluminum 1/8" x 2inch plating using two pieces cut to length. Drill the holes larger that the bolt so that the bolt will fit the hole easer. Use stainless steel fender washers and locking nuts, with bolts to secure the Trolling motor to the boat.
This was the process that worked for me.

Thanks for the information, I have a piece of plate metal that I think I can cut to mirror the mount. I am going to try to put it under the bow if I can fit it through the rod box hole. I just hope this trolling motor flexes on the spring like it’s supposed to, I haven’t hit anything Since I got the Fortrex so I don’t have any frame of reference.

That flex spring/ball joint is a super invention- mine was activated several times and really releives a lot of prressure that could otherwise cause damage. I would spray the joint with armor all from time time to help keep it free to release if needed...

I installed a 24v ultrex on my 170 TF with the rubber trolling motor mounting bolts and they suck!! the kept ripping and coming loose causing my trolling motor to come out of holes. i ended up usinf bolts and fnder washers with locking nuts, problem solved. DO NOT USE THE RUBBER KITS.

Just wanted to update, been out on a couple local lakes ( central Texas) since putting in the bolts and fender washers and the trolling motor mounts are holding up nicel. I did hit some rocks that made me wince but didn’t seem to hurt the motor or the mount and I was landing a fish so that helped. Seems I have solved my problem. Thanks for the input.

Latest posts

Back