Trolling Motor Foot Pedal Burst into Flames.

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Kinslow

Reaction score
Howdy Guys and Gals,

Here's a weird one for you. I just read another post from a fellow member on a local fishing website message board and he posted the problem below. I am wonder for personal reasons, can this really happen? If so, how and why? Any info is greatly appreciated.

Quote:

"I have a 1997 Stratos and upgraded the trolling motor 2 years ago. Fishing a tourney this past Sunday on lake Murray, my foot pedal burst into flames. Once I got home, I found that the ARC Suppressor which is a series of resistors and a capacitor had got so hot that it caught the insulation on fire and fried the sealed pack. I was told that the reason for this, was allowing my trolling motor prop to "free spin" in the wind while going across the lake. I don't know what the purpose of this ARC Suppressor is or what actual purpose it serves. If anyone has any answers for this please let me know, because the ARC suppressor costs $26 and will ruin your day in a hurry."

I have never heard of anything like that happening,....that's pretty wierd!! Anxious to see what some of you "Arc Angels" have to say,.....I am not an electrician by any means!!! Any ideas or explanations???
Mac

Man that was a quick response Mac!! I thought I was the only one setting at work watching the site.

That is a new one on me John, I'd like to hear the answer on that one too.

Mike

12 volts can get pretty hot IF you've got heavy enough guage wire to carry enough current....... But those tiny, little guages in the actual wiring of the motor....... I find it hard to believe....... But - I don't have any electrical engineering experience either.........

me!

Anyone heard from Jim Lively? I was hoping he would run across this post. I figured if anyone had any idea about this one, he'd be the man.

John K.

Thanks Sam, I went and left him a post on that site (interesting site by the way).

John K.

I haven't been on any of the boards much lately.

Now, there is simply no way that the foot pedal, or any part of the trolling motor, could burst into flames because the prop was spinning in the wind.

Simply put, the prop and motor act like an automatic transmission in a car. The only way an automatic transmission can turn the motor is for the torque converter to lockup. When spinning, the only way that electricity can develop is for the magnets in the motor to be charged. They only way they can be charged is if the power from the batteries is getting to them.

So, in the simplest terms, the most likely culprit was a bad switch or shorted wire.

I've been using, installing, replacing and even repairing a few trolling motors since the first Shakespeare hit the streets (or water, as it were) and I have never seen a single one that started fire that way.

My response? HORSEDOODY!

:)

Jim

I thought as much myself; just wanted an expert opinion.

Very much appreciated Jim.

By the way, I hope you keep coming back to this board once in awhile becuase I know there are quite a few of us here who have quickly come to depend on your expert (and very accurate) advice.

Thanks again for all your input Jim.

John K.

Latest posts

Back