Trolling Motor Dilemma - Advice PLEASE!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim in VA

Reaction score
Hey all:

Going to upgrade my trolling motor from the original 52lb (MG 752) thrust that came on the G3 HP180. Got leads on two used MotorGuide motors:

1. 2001 MG 71lb thrust 24V: comes with gator II mount, plug and three blade prop. Asking price is $200.

2. Pre-2000 MG 82 thrust (model 782 TourEdition - nondigital) 24V: no mount, no prop, but plug. Guessing on the age given the very old style foot pedal (big knob on the side for variable speed). Asking price is $300 (firm).

So the question is which is better? My rig is an 18 foot, wide high performance aluminum rig. The current trolling motor is okay (like on Lake Anna), but doesn't work well in the wind and current on the Potomac. Heaven help me if the tide's really moving as well! Given the price difference and the way each is equipped, I'm leaning towards the 71, but will I miss the 10 pound thrust differential that much?

Thanks all in advance!! Checking out motor #1 late this afternoon.

Jim

I'm in the same boat:lol:

but, with my economy I have to wait:(

Personally, I would look for a different 82lb. I have the tour 82lb except mine is a 36v. 71 would probably be ok, but it would work your batteries harder. With TM you can never have too much power. go to www.bassboatcentral.com, go to the bbc boards, scroll down to the for sale board and there is a trolling motors section. many options there. Not sure I would pay that much for the 82 that doesn't have a mount or prop.

I'd look really hard at these, they are 8+ yrs old. If not used much, may be OK, but these can be well used in this amount of time. I wouldn't want to buy a t motor I used for 8 yrs.

Jim - I wouldn't go with either. Keep looking around 'cause with this economy you will probably find something better for around the same price. Check with Hammer as he HAD a TM and maybe still has it. Also put the word out on the Swap and Sell and maybe something will come that way. Both motors you refer to are TOOOOOOOOOOOOO old and repairing them, if they go bad, will cost you as much as you paid for them. Have you looked at ebay or craigslist?

Check with the trolling motor repair guy that passed away last year (Max) and his partner may have something that someone didn't pick up and you could get it for what the repair bill was. They were GREAT people to work with when I had problems with mine.

Sportsman Marine

2627 Hanco Center Drive

Woodbridge, Va, 22191

Phone: 703-595-6522

Fax: 703-878-3222

[email protected]

8am-5pm m-f

Good luck!

jim,

i have the 67 lb thrust mg, which i converted to a 72 lb digital. and it does a good job, i love to stand on my motor at about 3/4 throttle and go, and it takes this abuse 200 days a year. i am as rough as anybody on a troller and i love the digital. just make sure you up grade the wires going to it so thay dont get warm with heavy use.

mike c

Thanks guys! I've been checking the sites you all have referenced (craigslist, bbc, ebay, etc.) with the goal of sticking local (shipping costs are crazy!). Amazing how few real deals show up - and the one or two that do are snapped up pretty quick!

Thanks also to Bill for the referall. I did call the guy and he has some motors at really good prices, but their 101's. I know, I know - max HP! But in my case, I don't have room for 3 trolling batteries in the rear of the boat - not to mention what it would do to balance fore/aft balance!

I'll still check out the 71, but at this point, I like your all's advice on the 82 and will call that guy to pass on that one. Maybe if I can get the price down on the 71 . . . :)

Jim

jim,

there is a swap and sell or used fishing tackle show in feb at the local eagles club. im sure someone can post the info on it. but you should be able to find one there.

p.s. keep your old one as a back up, since its not worth to much. if a trolling motor needs repairs it sometimes can take a while to fix, and the local mg shop is in richmond, since max passed away.

mike c

If I HAD to get one it would be the 71 lber. It's cheaper, has a great mount and everything else making it ready to go.. I wouldn't play around with the other one and I think he's way out of the ball park price wise.

I don't think you would have any problem at all with the 71 lber except under VERY extreme

conditions when you wouldn't be fishing then anyway! That 71 lber will get you around with no trouble at all.(jmho)..

Uncle Billy

With what you have given option #1 is best. BUT....You fish the mighty Potomac and with the current, wind and grass you need all the power you can get. I would look around. My old motor is a 67lb 2000 model 24v. It did ok on the big, heavy 929 but I snapped a steering cable and is pretty much just parts now. I got the 71lb "pro" model from the Tracker ebay store for $269 (no mount) and it has been a good motor but it draws more than my old one without a huge gain in performance. Keep looking you'll find a goodun', they are around.

TOXIC

Hey guys - thanks for all the tips. I ended up caving - for $160 for the MG 71, I couldn't resist! Motor was in good condition, lightly used, worked, and had all the wiring and then some. Guy also lived ten minutes from my house. Now on to mounting it to the G3 (oh - an batteries!).

Jim, you will like the upgrade, good price also and save the 52 for back up just in case. You never know when your tm will croak.

BF

OH NO!!!!:eek: You really didn't get that motor did you???:unsure: Geeezzzz, I was just kidding! I thought you'd have read all of the reviews about THAT motor ??? :rolleyes:

:D:D:D Good luck with it Jim.. It sure was a great deal!

Uncle Billy

jim,

just make sure you upgrade to a good connecter, and go, and if your batteries compartment looks like mine and im pretty sure it does, you can fit 3 of the big batteries in there. if you need i can try to snap a picture, but they do fit, but it super super tight.

mike c

my 72 runs me around no sweat jim, and it a good price, and if it every dies you can always modify it to digital.

Hey Mike - where the heck did you fit three big batteries?? I can get in the starter, two 27 size deep cycle and now I'm trying to figure out where the heck to mount the charger!

Thanks all for the words of encouragement. I expect I'll be back with questions on mounting next :D:D

jim,

sent an email with pics to your hotmail account.

as for mounting the trolling motor, if you are going to use the newer mount it going to invole a discussion on jacknuts:p are you sure you want to do that.

if you want to use the old mount, just drop it in and go.

mike c

HE SAID JKACKNUTS... This thread WILL deteriorate... Do not tell Ken...

Great next thing you know we will be discussing ball grease again.......LOL

BF

Jack nuts, ball grease, hee hee!!

Was able to get down to make sure the boat was still in one piece (and that the darned fuzzy tailed rats hadn't gotten into the house!). Unfortunately, mice got into the garage. Time for D-CON! Hoping to try out the new motor soon.

Mike - going to take your advice and try to just drop in on the existing mount. New mount is nicer, but not worth the trouble now to try to swap out. Thanks for the pics as well. That's pretty much how I have mine set up too. Just enough room for that second deep cycle battery. Might need that "ball grease" to squeeze in that battery! :D

Jim

if you need any help jim, just call and i will help.

mike c

Latest posts

Back