Trolling motor cuts-out after ~1 minute....

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Haugh

Reaction score
Took the wife and kids out today to start the weekend early. We planned to troll Heideck Lake for walleye or stripers, simply long lining it. We don't normally troll, so I don't have boards, a kicker, etc. Planned to use the trolling motor..

That was a great plan until the trolling motor shut off after we got up to speed (~2mph). Dead. After a couple minutes, we were able to troll for another 50 yards and it cut out again. The process repeated itself 5 or 6 times before I gave up. This was running on number 4 of 5 speed settings. It cut out even faster on 5. Running on 1 or 2 was not an issue, but too slow.

Is the motor giving up the ghost, or simply not powerful enough? I'm pretty sure it is the original (1999). There are pics in my library.

If you read my post this far, can you confirm what appears to be a transducer clamped to the bottom of the lower trolling unit. WHY, I ask myself. :wacko: I don't believe it is functional anymore because the depth finder was updated recently.

Hard to diagnose over the Internet, but sounds like its overheating. Yes, that is a transducer on your trolling motor. Why? Because its the best place to put it when you are fishing. You're seeing what is directly under your feet, not 15 feet behind you where the other transducer is probably mounted for the helm unit.

All the best,

Glenn

Check all of your connections starting at the battery working towards your TM. A loose connection will heat up and throw the breaker. (Wing nuts will not stay tight. Chuck 'em and replace with nylock nuts.) Pull the prop on the TM and check for line, debris, etc. behind it around the shaft, also. You should check and keep maintained the water level on your battery as well. Breakers also do go bad, specifically those that get tripped a lot and the contacts carbon over. These are the common "weak links" in the chain that exhibit the symptoms you describe. Good luck! ;)

Latest posts

Back