TritonGlenn, you are the man

• Thread starter Jimmy Easterling
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy Easterling

Reaction score
I went back the other day to see a post you had helped me with some time ago and.....I bought a Revo Winch about a year ago and became so agravated with it that it has been sitting in the bottom of my rod locker paired up with my least favorite rod for almost a year without being used. I decided the other day I was going to use it or get fid of it. Original problem: it would not cast but maybe 30 yards and the brake system would stop it and set it nice and pretty onto the water, trouble is I wanted to cast it farther. The post I looked up said "in is off and out is on". I sitting on the lake at 2pm-100+ degrees and I drag out my screw driver, break down the reel to expose the brake system and push them all in. While still in a sitting position I sling it out, without my thumb on the spool, and spend the next 20 minutes or so getting the back lash out, in 100+ temps. when I finally get it worked out I case again, standing and thumb in the correct place, and could have cast it accross the lake. Long story long, I engaged 1 tab and left the others in and it and the rod, remember my least favorite, is now a joy to throw. In fact, I caught my first fish with either a short time later. Which is another interesting story, which I will make short, dragging a jig over some rocks and I set the hook on a fish, when it gets close to the boat I see there are 3 nice bass coming to the boat, on my left is what looks to be a 5 lb'er, in the middle a 2, and on the right a 3.5 or 4. Bet you can guess which one I had, yup, the 2. Anyway thanks, Glenn, for your expert knowledge of reels and most everything else that has to do with fishing.

Glad to hear! Congrats on getting it to work right for you. I wish reel manufacturers (all of them) would place instructions in with their baitcasters. They would eliminate a lot of frustrations for anglers.

All the best,

Glenn

JimmyE, glad you got it worked out. TG had suggested a very nice reel. It's kind of a shame it sat for a year with you feeling about it as you did.

One thing I'd like to add here is this. When someone comes to the reel counter asking for a particular reel (any reel), I'll ask them as they look it over if they're familiar with it's breaking system(s) and set-up. I try to make sure they know how it operates and give them the information on it that it may not come with. I take the time to show them if they prefer. Often while doing this, other customers may be listening close by. Too often, I'll have them say, "I didn't know that." Or, "no wonder I can't cast the one I have." I won't go into it if they are familiar with the reel. Most of them are still appreciative that I asked. But, so many have had a particular reel suggested and aren't familiar with it that it's a good idea to make sure.

I hope you have many more fish stories to tell about it now!

Actually, I may have created a monster within myself or will just be able to fine tune the reels. All my reels are Revos with the exception of the Winch, I have 2 premiers and the rest are STX and most cast exactly as they should with the adjustments on the outside. I have one with a heavy crank on that the brakes wants to stop, I just turned off all but one and will try it out this weekend. Good to know that salespeople are attemping to educate the consummers, in my case all are left on the front porch and I have to depend on people on places like this to get educated. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back