Trim works intermitently, any ideas?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Guys, when I go to trim my motor when the motor is not running, sometimes it does not work. SOmetimes it will go almost all the way up or cut out, and sometimes it wont work after it has been sitting. I have to turn the motor over to get the trim to work again. I can always get it to work, but its getting aggravating. I know its gonna end up quitting 15 miles from the launch. If it matters, my tach recently quit working. It will move when i trim the motor (makes me think electrical) but otherwise Im always doing 1000 rpm with the hammer down. thanks

Mike, I had a similar problem at the ramp a few months back. Try tapping your relays. They will be in different spots depending on your outboard. There should be 2, one for up and one for down. If you tap them and they start working, then that's it. The reason it will start working after cranking is the vibration serves the same function as taping it. They are less than $20 and it is a good idea to have extras in the boat. Just a thought. Whatever it is, it's definately electric. Good luck.

Rob

Check your battery cables, connections on the wiring harness and relays, if none of this works then you may have a dead spot in the trim motor.

Latest posts

Back