Transom Warranty

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jams2434

Reaction score
Posting some pics to see who agrees with the factory. I am being told this is a cosmetic issue and not covered under warranty. Local BassPro dealership won't touch it on trade-in. Corporate won't return my calls. This is a 2016 Z21 and been battling this for 4 years. Local fiberglass company has repaired it 6 times and keeps cracking. They say I should put a 150hp motor on my Z21 and it won't crack...WTF. I am so pissed that factory won't replace or fix my boat. Am I wrong?

Attachments

• crack.jpg
    crack.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 127
  • crack2.jpg
    crack2.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 125
  • crack4.jpg
    crack4.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 121
That doesn't look cosmetic to me but I am no expert. Are you the original owner? You might have to get a lawyer involved. Sometimes a letter can get the wheels turning in your favor. Sorry you have to deal with this instead of fishing...

I’m curious if you use a motor toter that attaches to your trailer during transport or one that attaches just to the motor?

Those are engine induced stress cracks. Do you have a jack plate? It occurs from engine bounce. Eventually your engine will tear off as the cracks weaken and water makes its way into transom.

Posting some pics to see who agrees with the factory. I am being told this is a cosmetic issue and not covered under warranty. Local BassPro dealership won't touch it on trade-in. Corporate won't return my calls. This is a 2016 Z21 and been battling this for 4 years. Local fiberglass company has repaired it 6 times and keeps cracking. They say I should put a 150hp motor on my Z21 and it won't crack...WTF. I am so pissed that factory won't replace or fix my boat. Am I wrong?

No, you are not wrong. However what Integron and Brettl both have a point. The transom savers that come with the boat are cheap and are not really "transom savers" it's bull****. Those so called transom savers also wears on the main steering shaft splines at the bottom of it. As the trailer bounces it pushes on the splines of the shaft. You can check it out by garbing the motor at the bottom and try to pick it up and watch for the movement at the bottom of the shaft. A good transom saver is one that attaches to only the motor and is lock down with the power tilt and trim. As I look at the pic's I think the transom is all ready gone, sorry, that's just my opinion. I think the people that have tried to fix it 6 times is just putting a patch on something that's really broken. If the transom was solid you could put a 300 h/p motor on it.

Doesn't look cosmic in those picture. You stated that this started 4 years ago. Did you document this with pictures in emails to Nitro - White River Marine and have replies from them as proof right from the start. Did you get a incident report number. I'm not surprised they don't call you back, but your better off with written proof. I would get a estimate to repair your transom. Contact a lawyer and see if it's worth going that route. Possibly getting a certified marine boat inspector to back you up with a written report. If you can take some pictures of the inside transom. If you can't get a camera in there use one of the drain cable cameras. As far as Tracker Service Centers go, their hands are tied. They mostly likely want to help you, but have to get permission from Nitro. Most likely you are dealing with public relations people on the phone. With little boat or no building knowledge. Sorry your going thru this, good luck.

I have the Nitro Z20 Pro with a 225 ProXS on it, I ordered this boat through a local dealer and it came with the trailer to engine transom stabilizer, where the stabilizer contacted my lower end on the engine it began to wear the paint and wore it down to primer. I repaired it myself with the proper Mercury Verado Silver paint and clearcoat, it is back to its original state. I then purchased the transom support device called Tote-Rite this product is made by a couple of guys in Tenn. They have done their homework and I personally recommend this. Contact info. Tote-Rite - Brian Jordan - 865-617-5030 Brian is a class act and will do all he can to accommodate you. This device not only supports engine bounce and shock it also has two arms that have heavy rubber knobs on the ends of two arms that also prevents engine turning left or right while transporting a win win.
I have had no transom issues with this setup. I had a 2005 NX 750 brand new and by using the trailer transom bar my transom also cracked and was repaired properly, I was lucky Tracker covered that one..

Al

Allen D.. That Tote-Rite is a neat product. Thanks for mentioning it!

There should be a lifetime warranty on the hull from White River. Are you the original owner? If not, did you file the transfer when you bought it used. Have you filed the paperwork for a warranty claim and they are refusing to acknowledge it? Phone calls don't get much done on something like this. You need hard documentation. Get a Marine surveyor involved. Don't waste time debating how it happened, get your insurance and/or a lawyer involved.

My new Nitro Z19 Sport came with the transom saver and transom straps. I have been using transom savers with transom straps for at least 25 years. All attached to the trailer cross beam then to just above the back side of the prop. Transom straps from the trailer side rail to the transom U - bolts. Never had any problems with transom stress cracks. All transom savers I used came with rubber insulators against the motor. I think it's wise to use both. Without the straps the boat can still bounce up on bad roads.

I’m curious if you use a motor toter that attaches to your trailer during transport or one that attaches just to the motor?
attaches to motor, this was "repaired" 5 times so far. I thought about using a motor toter to trailer, but see so many boats that don't.

Sorry about the issues. I have a few questions..Did you buy the boat new, did you buy it used from a BPS dealer or another dealer, did you buy it from a private individual. Were promises made about being able transferring the warranty if so who did the paperwork. If the paperwork was completed and sent to White River Marine do you have proof? Were the initial repairs done thru White River Marine? Calling WRM does no good..all warranty claims MUST go thru a BPS Tracker/Nitro dealer. Sounds like you on your own to getting this issue resolved. I'm not trying to be a WRM HOMER, but they have stated procedures concerning warranty issues, they were shown to me when I purchased my boat new in January 2019.

I bought the boat used 1 yr old and did the paperwork to transfer the warranty. Yes I have proof, going through my local BPS store and they just say that factory says it isn't a warranty item, it is cosmetic and not covered. They fixed it once at the factory though, then had a local fiberglass guy fix it and cracked again, the next 3 times "repaired" by local factory guy on his dollar I guess and he even says it is a transom issue, but no one wants to fix it now.

Just going through the blog today reading a few post’s. Saw yours again, and man I feel for you. I know you are one pissed off fellow as any one of us would be! I hope somebody somewhere in the mix can find you some justice… hang in there.

I would say that damage goes far beyond gel coat stress cracks. This brings up the issue of trailering and engine supports which always proves to be a controversial subject at best. After many years, I much prefer the supports that drop to the trailer frame. While I agree that trailer vibrations bumps get transfered somewhat to the engine components, I've never experienced any issue from that. If you think about it, the engine stops that don't transfer some load to the trailer directlly, are constantly stressing the transom area all the time with no relief there. Some say that that's not a problem- transoms are made to handle that. I believe that the stress placed on the transom during towing is entirely different than the stress on the transom in the water with the engine in operation. At some point I would rather fix a wear issue with the engine than try to have a transom repaired.. Since I've never had an engine issue with a trailer bar support, I'm not switching to the newer models.
All that said, I can understand your pain and frustration. That will be a costly repair if done properly...

Well, just keep everything documented and since they won’t replace it under a lifetime hull warranty, let the motor fall in the water then hire a lawyer to do your talking. You’ve spoke enough to them.

Latest posts

Back