Transom Plug

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glen Summers

Reaction score
Ok, guys stupid quetion, Why is it I have all sorts of valves to fill, drain and circulate they water in my livewells but they haven't installed a simular valve to replace the transom plug. I have fished out of my pontoon for years but now I keep forgetting to screw in the plug on my Nitro. There has got to be a simple answer but I can't imagine what.

Glen

Glen,

I have worked mine into my pre-launch walk around. I do the launch check the same way every time, so when I take my transom saver off I know the next step is to put in the plug. I keep the plug in a compartment at the back of the boat so I can get to it easily when it is time. Maybe keep your plug with your keys, or anything else you put in the boat before launch so you see it before you realize your feet are getting wet:p

There was a product at one time that allowed you to put your plug in from the inside of the boat. I think T Transplant tried it. You will get a mental checklist put together and it becomes part of what I call the Launch Ritual. I have had clients want to help and it messes up my system so I just tell them to stand back and let me do my job!!:lol::lol:

TOXIC

I agree with g8 and Tox as far as Launch ritual, anyone with me I will say just stand back and think "fish" and do my thing, it only takes me few minutes and I know it's ready with no thinking did he do it right.....and same with coming out of the water and preparing for the road trip home....

:)I'm all about launch and landing rituals. My simple minds likes habits. I question myself when I don't do the same process. More than one time when people were 'helping' I forgot to take the straps off the back of my PT185 and I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't come off the trailer :)

The wife reminds me everytime and just laughs and laughs when she does cuz I forgot it one time:lol:

I do this before I leave the house. That way I can always launch with comfort. But you raise a good point, there ought to be a better way.

I take a simple approach. I loosen the plug to drain water while I lower the motor to drain water. When the motor is done and then transom saved, I put the plug back in. That way, when I leave the next time the plug is already in. But I always double check in case the Missus took it out ... :wacko::lol::wacko::lol:

Your right about one thing this usually happens when someone comes along and wants to help. Too many hands on the wheel so to speak. I'll try to keep that in mind and ask the guest to let me handle it. I was just wondering if there was a reason the manufacturer didn't put this on the boat as an option. Thanks Guys.

Glen

In MN, it's illegal to leave the plug in while in transit. I usually take it out and leave it in the transon where the cables connect to the motor (PT185). My ritual includes putting the plug in when I take the transom saver off....and out when I put the transom saver on.

I do the same as Marty.

NDBass, really? It's illegal to leave the plug in while in transit? Do you have transom plug police? :D :lol:

Lots of problems with milfoil and zebra mussels. The DNR is trying to keep the lakes from infecting each other.

Latest posts

Back