Transom issue

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Archer

Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone ever had transom repair done. My problem is mine is cracked on each side of the transom at the top down into the splash well and across where the splash well meets the transom. I've been quoted around $4000.00 to repair it! Ouch!!! this includes replacing the core,cutting the transom down 1" above the drain plug and re-glassing and painting it. Dont know much about that kinda repair but sounds kinda high to me. What does anyone think. Thanks.:unsure:

Nitro 180f/s 1995. Boat is in excellent condition. Except for the wood on the transom for the age, seen its better days.

If you have insurance,.....hitting submerged objects is covered!! (minus your deductable of course!) Make a claim!:eek:

Made the claim to the insurance company. Just not sure what kind of value they'll put on it. There sending a marine serveyor up from St. Louis to look at it.

I had an issue with my 89 Stratos and they would not do anything for because the wood in the transom was wet. Paid around $2000 dollars had repaired and 3 years later broke again sold piece of junk!

I had a Nitro 1993 DC 2000 that lost the transom as well. Turned it into insurance - my mistake was I had a mild gel coat crack in the drain well so I put a waterproof silicone gel over it - sure enough he said you knew you had water damage! (see you tried to fix it) I said no I was preventing it. Well they banged on the transom - sounded solid but they still declined, I still wasn't agreeing to the whole rot / water damage theory. Boat was at fiberglass shop - I said I wanted a core sample done - so out came the hole saw - & sure enough solid wood...insurance company had no choice but to cut me a check for what I had my boat insured for - then 2 weeks later received a letter - they were dropping me as a customer - but at least I got what was fair.

Hope this helps - good luck, by the way I did this in 2003, not sure what your transom wood actually looks like now 16 years later - but if you believe they gave you the wrong answer you could try this.

Regards,

Mark

Latest posts

Back