Transmission Cooler

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Waldrop

Reaction score
I was thinking about putting a transmission cooler on my 1998 Chev. truck. I was wanting to know if anyone has done this and what would it cost to install one. Any advise would be great. Thanks

Mike,
Please don't be offended. You do have an auto tran right? I have heard guys that wanted to put them on a standard. Doesn't work. But I do know they are worth while if you tow a bigger boat, especially in hill country when it's hot. They are not hard. Most just push through the block radiator and then wire tire to hold, after that just run your lines. I grew up in a family of mechanics. Knuckles run big in my family. LOL
Rob

Go to www.summitracing.com and type in the words "trans cooler" and check out the coolers. I recomend using the B&M style coler. the cooler is much more durable and I feel cools better. Summit make a copy of the unit that is nice also..

John

I highly reccomend you do the cooler, I blew my tranny on our 97 Z71 and I am almost positive it was due too lack of a tranny cooler. The new dodge I just bought had a factory installed unit with a tow package and it is awesome, the difference is noticable.

Mark

Mike,

Definitely install the tranny cooler. Whatever size you think you need, go bigger. My 1988 GMC blew the tranny twice - even with the tranny cooler. The first owner got the first 50k miles. I then went to a 1999 Dodge Ram Quad Cab with factory tow package. It never gets hot while towing with the AC on. Caution: Never tow in overdrive!!

Bob G.

In 95 I had an after market tranny cooler put on my 94 Dodge Ram it ran me $150. It made quite a difference when hauling a 3500lb camper. I sold the truck to my boss, it's still in service and runs just a nice as the day I bought it new.

Both my 97 & 99 Ram trucks have factory installed tranny & oil coolers which work even better, but now I am only hauling a boat or motorcycles which does not compare to the weight of the camper but average driving or even better, sitting in traffic is much cooler with the coolers. LOL

Go for it, it certainly can't hurt if you are doing any long hauling.

Cass

Thanks guys for all the input. I have a 1998 Chev 1500 1/2 ton with a 5.8L V-8 it's automatic and I don't tow in overdrive. I tow a 2000 NX882 which is bigger than the LX700 I had. So I think I will go for it. The mechanic wanted me to get the cooler and he would charge for labor. He said it's 45 an hour and he would think it would be a 2 hour or 3 hours job. What do you guys think about the labor is that high or is that sound right?

Thanks Rick, But I live in Kentucky but thanks for the offer. I think I'm going to get someone to do it, when it comes to repairs on cars I don't think I could handle it.

Latest posts

Back