Trailer wheel bearings

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roger Chambers

Reaction score
One of my hubs is slinging grease. Pulled wheel and hub. Took off seal. It looked ok to me. Went to the parts dealer and he said that it looked ok to him too. He checked and said that the outer lip of the bearing I brought him was too narrow (3/8") and that it should be 1/2". Would this make a difference? Also, bearing buddies says to pump grease until it oozes out the seal on the buddy. OK. But, how much grease do you pump into the zert on the back of the hub for the inner bearing?

Listen to Greg. Throw away the Bearing Buddies and use the hubs as they were originally set up.

Your hubs make the Bearing Buddies obsolete.

Frank

My trips are 100 miles or less. I grease mine about every 3 months. The trick is to replace all the grease at once, not just a little bit at a time. Put the grease gun to it and pump til all the old grease is out. Pump slowly so you don't blow out the real seal. Inspect the old grease for contamination or discoloration. Either of these would indicate a bad seal. Also check the hub and the back of your wheels on a regular basis. If you find grease there this would also indicate a bad seal.

Be sure to use the double lipped marine seals. Auto seals won't do the job.

Good luck.

Frank

Latest posts

Back