Trailer Tie Down Question

• Thread starter Michael Trepper
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrepMan

Reaction score
Here's one question i've not seen on any of the boards and this "veteran" (read has had the boat for over a year) has - The Tie Down straps for my boat have a plastic coating on one ONE hook. So, should the pastic coated hook go to the trailer (which is painted) and the plain steel one to the steel U on the boat, or vice-versa. I qould swear that when I got the boat (and how i've kept it since) is that the painted trailer gets the non-coated hook? I think it would be better to have the coated hook to a painted surface (less chance of paint chipping). Now don't ask me why if is seems so obvious I just didn't switch yet, good question.

Anyone know the "right" way, if there is one??

TrepMan

Hey TrepMan,

I'm not exactly sure which way is right but when I picked up my boat a couple weeks ago, it had tie-downs with both ends coated. These were in my opinion, cheap ones not to mention the fact that they were scratching the crap out of the transom area. Needless to say, I replaced these with some better ones.

Good fishing and God bless,

John K.

TrepMan, Always make sure that the plastic coated hook goes to the boat and the end that is not covered in plastic hooks to the trailer. I believe they use the plastic so it won't scratch the gel coat on the boat. Hope this helps.

Al - I can now see that for a 'Glass boat, but what about us Tin owners, any reason to keep it that way?

TrepMan

TrepMan, Good Point. I'm not sure which is the correct way if any for an aluminum boat. I would assume you would want to put the plastic hook on the boat as well. All Nitro/Tracker (except Galvenized) trailers are painted but we still use the bare metal end on the trailer unless you get tie downs where both ends have the plastic coding. Does your trailer have a metal piece that sticks out a little bit where the tie downs connect? I haven't really had a problem with paint getting chipped off the trailer but, where it connects to the hole the paint has some what rubbed off. Not sure if this helps you any at all.....Al.

TrepMan, I know where you are coming from, I work fro Big Blue and also surf while on multiple boring conference calls. I've actually been on conference calls with Project Managers and we got into a discussion about fishing while waiting for others to join the call. I now have a PM from Missouri who comes to Raleigh twice a year so we can fish lakes together like Buggs Island. I took him out last year on Falls lake and he caught his biggest bass ever! My manager even gave me the OK to take him out on a workday. Who needs to go to the golf course to make a deal or network? Gotta love fishing!

You the same Al Greco in Raliegh who is a Customer Relations Manager??

I an blue too, I just sametimed' you a message, let me know if you get it.

Not sure I can help all that much, but I have the retractible ratchet tie downs that are fastned to the trailer, and the hooks for the boat are coated.

Pierre

Trepster,...I agree with Pierre,....my boat has the retractable tiedowns too, but before those I always used the coated ends on the transom and the bare ends on the trailer,.....what little nicks and chips are caused by that are pale compared to what all the stones and road debris will do to the trailer over time anyway. I'm pretty sure the coated ends are there to protect the boats finish and not the inside dia of a hole. I would always use the coated end on the boat anyway.
Good luck and tight lines!!
Mac

Latest posts

Back