Trailer Leaf Springs

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Eder2

Reaction score
Anybody having trouble with the suspension parts on there trailers?I found a broken leaf spring earlier this year and now I had the U-bolts that hold the axle to the leaf spring break on the highway on the way home from the lake brake.The axle went back and tore up the fender,popped the tire and just made a mess.I was wondering if this is an ongoing problem guy are having?????

I assume the boat wasn't on the trailer, huh Rich? I've never had that problem with a trailer but did have busted springs and bolts on an old Mail Jeep when we had to furnish them. I had a shop tell me it was a million dollars (I never exaggerate) but when he found out I was in Viet Nam he made me springs for the left side of my jeep for almost nothing. Only trouble I had after that was the jeep would sit at a 45degree angle so I had to have another set made for the right side..:lol: Good Luck Rich..

Uncle Billy

Mine didn't break, but there wasn't any "spring" left in them (170TF). I replaced them and the hardware when I bought a new axle. The stock axle was real puny and I replaced with a 3500# axle w/new springs. That bad boy tracks like a hound dog on a fugitive now!;) Sorry to hear about the fubar:blink:, good luck.

JP

Uncle Billy,The boat was on the trailer and I was going down the road.Talk about a shock.We got her pulled over and pulled the tires off of the back axle and ratcheted up the axle and drove home real slow.Only had about 35 miles to go.

I have busted a spring once but i have neve rhad any other hardwsre failures. when mine broke it busted twords the rear of the spring so the axle stayed in its normal place. What i had to do to get it home was gam a peice of 4x4 lumber between the axle and frame and lach it together with a ratcheting tie down strap to keep the tire off the fender. From there i was able to get it home. since I have a single axlt i was very lucky it wasnt worse. In the end i replaced both springs, ubolts,bushings and shackles with new.

I have a 2018 Z21. I started having issues with my tires rubbing when I hit bump or bad roads. I found out that from the factory the only put 1,700 pound springs under a boat that is almost 4,000 pounds.

in 2017 when I bought my new Z-18 I opted to do the dual axle trailer. I believe that spreading the load, so to speak was a good move. I've had not problems. I have to ride my boat a lot on various roads that aren't in great shape- so far I've had no problems. Anyone considering the Z-18 and up I would highly recommend that you go ahead and invest in the tanden trailer.

I own a 2019 Z21. My tires have been rubbing the and cracked my fiberglass fenders. While awaiting for the new HEAVY DUTY leaf springs to be replaced from the dealer, my leaf spring snapped. The tires immediately came down on the fenders. How does this happen? Not to mention my trailer brakes are completely shot. Not wearing properly at all. I already replaced the brake actuator which was 3 months out of warranty.

I broke an axle on my tandem trailer and it was a horrible experience. No flatbed tow truck large enough to put my Z8 on at 3 am. So I too had to use tow straps to ratchet up the axle and drive all the way back home. Boat was only 5 years old at the time.

I'm having similar issues with my 2013 z9. Installed brand new actuator, rotors, calipers, pads, bled system, new fluid, flushed system, and these damn brakes continue to hang up, sometimes damn near locked. I'm stumped.

Latest posts

Back