trailer hubs

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitro 75

Reaction score
I have a 02 Nitro LX 700.The trailer has the Trailer Buddy hubs,the ones with the grease fitting in the end of the spindle. Want to check the bearings and replace or repack. After reading up on this type of system it looks like I need to find the orginal type seals and bearings. Does anyone have any info on this or experience with type of system also any info on using the grease fitting to grease the bearings. Thanks Bobby

The bearings and seals are nothing special. Any good auto parts store should be able to cross reference them.

I have had that same system on all of my boat trailers and its a really good one. Check the link below for the owners manual from UFP.

Personally if the seals on the back are not leaking i would not yank them apart. Jack it up and check the end play on each wheel. If its loose tighten it up per the instructions in that manual. I also one mine like to once a month run some grease thru them. I pump it in until i see fresh grease start coming out the front where it overlflows then i stop and clean up the mess i just made.

If the seals are leaking then take it apart to replace the seals and clean and inspect the bearings. There is no need to replace them if there is nothing wrong with them like pitting, score marks in the races or cracks in the cages. Taken care of there is no reason those bearings should not last the life of the trailer.
http://ufpnet.com/Portals/0/PDFs/Bearing Lube Axle Maintenance.pdf

I was told unless the seal blew to keep my fingers off the grease system. My Nitro has 13 years on the bearings with just keeping them full. The guys at my Tracker Dealership said the same thing about the Tundra's trailer. I check the seals for leakage and the dealer checks everything when I have them winterize it.

fatrap

Gotta agree with fatrap on this one-if it ain't broke, don't mess with it! That being said, if you are taking it apart because of a bad seal, toss the bearings also. Don't try to inspect the bearings and reuse them. They are cheap compared to missing a bad spot and having a highway meltdown. Spend the $20 bucks or so for new ones and replace them with the seals.

I just replaced mine, 02' 896 trailer. The only suggestion I have is if are going to replace them, is to remove the old ones first, then buy. I researched what was suppose to be in mine, but when I took it apart all the suggested part numbers were not correct. I had a straight spindle with same size bearing inner and outter. After I extraced the old parts, finding them at an auto supply store was easy. One hint here. The bearing and cone/race can be bought as a set at some parts stores.

The suggested UFP site has alot of usefull info

Dennis

I have a 2001 Nitro 700. I did not maintain my hubs and they blew. The spindle rode on the wheel long enough to flatten the bottom. So I need a new spindle or axel. Can you replace the spindle?

Latest posts

Back