Trailer Bunks........

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Every winter I try to do an upgrade on my Tracker 175. This winter I'm going to change the trailer bunks. The bunks currently are carpeted. I'm thinking about using a synthetic material. I would like to hear from anyone who has installed synthetics on their bunks. Were they easy to install? Are you happy with your choice? What brand did you use? Thanks in advance for all replies...........It's been a great summer here in beautiful downtown Southern Illinois. Come visit.

are you talking about carpet or wood? if it's wood try to find new old stock treated wood it will not rot for many years. and most indoor-outdoor carpet is all synthetic.

Over the years I have had to replace the bunks on my trailer several times, and I have taken a bit of an unorthodox approach. On the way to the lake I take a detour and stop by a big box store and by all of the material I need, pressure treated wood, screws (I used the Everbit #10 x 1 1/2” lg, the flange on the screw kept it from pulling thru (Everbilt #10 x 1-1/2 in. Flange Hex Head Hex Drive Self-Piercing Screw with Neoprene Washer 1 lb. Box (102-Pack)-116039 - The Home Depot) you will want the length when you are screwing thru the folded carpet on the underside of the ends and carriage bolts to screw down the bunks to the trailer (and don’t forget your socket set for the carriage bolts). Once at the lake, I launch my boat, and tie it to the launch dock or beach it if the dock area is small. Then I pull the trailer off to the side and use my battery powered tools, circular saw and ½” drill motor and I do the work there. (I am sure that some docks will have power if you do not own the battery powered set, or you can use this as an excuse to your wife to buy that 20-Volt set that you have had your eye on. Just tell her that this is a very safe way to do this work, if she loves you, your in! Remove the bunks and carefully remove the carpet, (mine Nitro is about 20 years old and is still fine, it looks ugly, but it is fully functional) and set it aside. Cut the boards to length, install the new ones on the trailer and reinstall the carpet, (I have flipped it end for end to move around the wear points). After you cut the old bunks to about 36” in length and put them in the trash can, you are ready to pull the boat from the water and go home. One thought that might be better is to start your day off fishing and then work on the trailer before you pull the boat, just make a day of it. Good luck!

I cut and carpeted the bunks at home then launched at the lake for installation.......piece of cake.

TommyP

I have a 175 Tracker. I was able to install new outdoor carpet on the original bunk boards (20 years old at the time) in the garage where the boat is stored. I jacked up the boat at the transom to remove one bunk at a time. I used s/s staples with an electric stapler. Also recovered the boards on the inside of the fenders.

Every winter I try to do an upgrade on my Tracker 175. This winter I'm going to change the trailer bunks. The bunks currently are carpeted. I'm thinking about using a synthetic material. I would like to hear from anyone who has installed synthetics on their bunks. Were they easy to install? Are you happy with your choice? What brand did you use? Thanks in advance for all replies...........It's been a great summer here in beautiful downtown Southern Illinois. Come visit.
I used bought pressure treated wood For mine then painted them with several coats of Boiled Linseed Oil... I know a guy that told me that he used pressure treated wood for his bunks and they lasted 8 years... coating them with Boiled Linseed Oil should make them last even longer.

If you use ruff sawed ceder planking then carpet never replace the bunks again because the ceder never rots the carpet will wear out first.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I'm talking about the covering on the bunks. Gatorbak is one consideration.....

I think the white poly bunk glides work better than the Gatorbak coverings. The Gatorbaks I've seen in the past work for a while but then lose their slip. The poly bunk glides are solid material, so they don't lose anything, they just wear lower.

I was at the lake on Tuesday and one of my long bunks came off the trailer as all three lag screws were gone. I have a 2012 Tracker 190. After checking the other bunk one of the three screws in it was missing also. I got 2 lag screws to put the bunk back on and put the boat in my storage unit there at the lake until I could get 2 replacement bunks. I failed to measure those 2 bottom bunks but I am assuming they are either 5 or 6 feet long (2X4). Does anyone know the length of the two bottom bunks on the trailer for my model boat? Am also looking at a new product called Tuff Bunk by Protech. They are selling bunks made from 2X4's and then coated in a product similar to truck bed linings. They advertise that the wood gets little soaking from water and their bunks will last much longer? Anyone have any experience with this new product? Dan George

Hello there Dan. I'm curious to know what you chose...carpet or synthetic? Thanks.

When the time comes I will order some UHMW plastic 1.5" x 3" x whatever length I need and drill and countersink the screw holes .750" deep. Then attach them with S.S. hardware. That is what I did to my other boat trailer when it was in the shop getting a new transom and stingers.

I bought the ultimate bunks to redo mine with this winter. I think I might carpet them though. I’ve heard they’re as slippery as rollers.

Years ago I replaced my bunks with pressure treated wood and carpet. There was a video on this site that was excellent showing step by step process and it helped me out tremendously

Latest posts

Back