Trailer Bunks

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Rife

Reaction score
Guy's I need to replace a bunk on my Trailer. I'm a proficient do it yourselfer so whats best,Treated lumber and what kind of carpet could I use from say LOWES..? As always your input is appreciated.

Ed

Ed - I replaced mine a few years ago. Used treated lumber with Monel Staples. Home Depot outdoor carpet in tan (matched the prior pretty close). Used carpet glue for outdoor carpeting as recommended by the HD guys. Also replaced the lag screws with galvanized. All holding up well two years later.

I was lucky in that I had a place to dock my boat while I took my time and did everything from cutting the bunks to size, cutting carpet, gluing, stapling and letting dry. Then mounted the first new board matching to the unreplaced on the other side to make sure it all lined up well. Then did the other. If you aren't as lucky, just prep the boards in advance. Once they are ready, go to your local launch, put the boat in the water (don't forget the plug!), tie up in some out of the way spot and then swap the boards in the parking lot.

Best of luck - Jim

If you go under "More" on this sight, then go into "Grab Bag", then " Memver Projects" there is a very good

step-by-step on bunk building. I followed it 2 yrs ago, very easy to do.

Eric

I put ultimate bunk boards on my trailer this year... LOVE THEM!!! And you will never have to change out your bunks again!

I'm going to change my BB's soon too...might look into that plastic lumber,...(recycled pop bottles)....they use it for decks and docks. Put some carpet on that and bingo....done..for EVER!!

Is that "Ultimate Bunk Board" made from the same stuff??:huh:

Mac, there is a problem with the "Trek" type of boards from flex and whether or not they can actually stand up to the weight. The Ultimate Bunk Boards are not meant to have carpet put on them. They are also slick as snot and you have to be v-e-r-y careful loading and unloading. Same with Glide Sticks. I have actually seen boats fall off the trailers at the ramp. I would just do them the old fashioned way if it were me.

TOXIC

And on edit....All you Tin Boat boys need to know what treated lumber will do to your tin. A little hint......it ain't good!!

Ahhh,...didn't know that they flexed that much. Will probably just go with regular treated lumber and carpet then. Might even do it one day during the MVM,....boat will already be in the water,..I can do my bunks sometime that week on a blow day or if it's going to rain, etc.....I'll never have another time where it will be that "convenient!"

;)

I have always prebuilt new boards and loaded thyem into the boat during our annual vacation to the northwoods. Easy to change them out.

Make mine with UNTREATED (I have a tin boat) fir and just accept the every three years new boards routine. Cheap outdoor carpet from Menards, outdoor carpet glue and stainless staples... My wife and I are pretty efficient at cutting and installing the carpet now. Just put some thought into it and don't over do bolts, etc. so that something unwanted rubs your hull.

The ultimate boards are toooooo slick for me...

Very important step......don't cover the whole board with carpet.....wrap the ends , but leave the bottom uncovered so the water has a place to drain out.

Eric

Absolutely agree Eric.

I did that very thing a few years back and the bottoms are clean and dry and no rot at this point.

And yes don't use treated lumber for tin. I used regular 2X4's and treated the tops and sides with sealer then glue and staples at the bottom sides.

I did mine 7 years ago with treated 2x4 and carpet purchased at Lowes. I too left an inch or so exposed underneath and used stainless steel T-50 staples to attach. Holding up great so far.

Latest posts

Back