Trailer Brakes

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill McElroy

Reaction score
...might've saved this guy a LOT of embarrasment!! :wacko::blink::(

gas.saver.jpg

gas.saver2.jpg

How about a winch chain and transom tiedowns? LOL

I was thinking the same thing Trep.

All good points to be sure. However, it could have been a truck brake problem. Actually, since that is clearly not a FISO, I guarantee it is a truck problem he suffered-:lol::wacko::lol::wacko::lol::wacko:

Given that it's a Bayliner (very cheaply made) even a winch chain and transom straps would've busted loose if he/she was going fast enough.....especailly with the sudden stop!! (Yeah,..It's got a Hemi....in the driver's seat!):eek:

I used to put my jon boat in the back of my pickup truck but never my power boat. LOL

Strange things happen at highway speeds and sudden deceleration. A guy I used to work with was broadsided while towing his Sea Ray. The drunk driver T-boned him in the passenger side of the truck. The big ol' Sea Ray, despite the fact that it was properly restrained, ended up on the other side of the intersection but the trailer remained hitched to the tow truck.

I think the point that Mac was trying to make is this accident wouldn't have happened IF the trailer had brakes. That's a big boat to be on a single axle/no surge brakes trailer and I'm sure in a panic stop it was hard to control.

Thanks Harpo.........I was just waiting for all kinds of "theories, inuendo's and opinion based reason's"...LOL....when all I doing was posting a pix of a major FUBAR!;)

I wonder if the driver fell asleep. From the looks of the trailer (bent) he hit the pole kind of hard. Hard enough to bend the trailer and launch the boat. I have seen a few where the culprit was either the driver fell asleep or this may be hard to believe but drinking was involved! Either way what a hard lesson to learn!

Randy!

He could've swerved to avoid another car that ran a red light or turned infront of him...maybe it was totally unavoidable....who knows?!

I just think he/she was sick of driving with a trailer and wanted to use the truck as intended... to haul. Maybe trying to save a little fuel by using the truck instead of the added weight of the trailer.

BTW this is only a joke.. and from the looks of it, the airbag didn't blow... hope the occupants are ok.

I know, I know!! While swerving to avoid a herd of 12-15 point bucks spooked by a UFO landing in the woods, the driver lost control and choosing to avoid hitting a squirrel in his lane, took the brunt of the impact into a light pole trying to launch his Bayliner toward the invading alien ship in defense of the planet. A true hero!:D

The squirrel was later seen high-fiving and knuckle touching another squirrel in the rearview mirror.:lol::p

Seriously, I hope noone was injured during this calamity.*

*At no time were any woodland creatures (or aliens) at peril during the typing of this post.

:):D:rolleyes::lol::wacko:

If Mac was trying to make the point that trailer brakes would have prevented this, why are we allowed to counter with other possible causes? Oh, the hidden rules for responding to posts on this forum ... ;).

Marty, just light common useless conversation for those of us starved for it in today's overly politically correct society. Beside Dan J. had me going there for a while until the knuckle bump by the squirrels. After all I am sure the rearview mirror was broken and the boat was blocking their view so how could they have seen that! LOL!

Randy!

That's how I look at it as well, hence the FISO vs. other worthless trucks comment-:lol:. I did notice that in the last two weeks GM announced that they are closing some truck/SUV lines because they believe the American driveer has permanently given up on big vehicles. At the same time, Ford announced a temporary shut down. Obviously, Ford knows we love our trucks and we'll be buying them once again.

No worries Marty,....we'll still build enough to satisfy the demand..;) Besides,....what would all the GM bashers have to do if we didn't build a FEW anyway! I know for a fact, when I get my next boat,..I WON'T be pulling it with a crossover!!:angry:

Poke, poke ... :D;). And I'm with you; you will NEVER see me posting the following question on this forum [stress NEVER]-"Do you think I can pull my Nitro First Class Glass boat with my [insert crossover]?" :lol::wacko::lol::wacko::lol::wacko::lol:

Just seen a 3 car pile up on the freeway on my way fishing Sunday morning at 6 AM!

One truck/boat and two smashed cars...only thing the wife and I figured happened was a deer ran out cause it's a noted area.

Just happened seconds before our eyes....still see the smoke from slammin brakes. I thought it was fog at first until I see friggin debris all over the road!

Boats and trailers do funny things in an accident. My partner rolled truck and trailer last year while coming home from a club tournament. Boat and trailer cleared five strand(4 feet high) barbed wire fence and landed facing opposite direction, still strapped down and hooked to the winch!! Last month while coming home from the local club tournament(same club) a car pulled out in front of the procession of club members, changed their mind and stopped to turn back into driveway. This caused first clubber to stomp brakes and then the chain reaction happenned. Second guy hits brakes to late. Hits rear of boat, straightens hooks on tie downs, brakes winch and parks 20' Champion in bed of pickup!! So you never know how things are going to end up! Good thing is everyone was ok and boats and trucks can be replaced!! As well as undershorts:wacko:

Tim

Guidance that I have continually received over the years and now continue to pass on--don't try to save the animal that wanders in front of your vehicle. Most times in a flash-bang scenario the vehicle will lose traction contact with the ground resulting in more severe damage than simple animal-vehicle contact, or even worse--serious injury or death. Magnify all that shyza if a trailer is involved. Goal is to try and maintain original direction of travel.

In no way is anything I wrote intended to imply that animals were involved in the pictured accident above. ;):wacko:;)

Usually you are right about keeping a straight course Marty. I have had a couple of occasions where I didn't follow that advise but came out ok. Once I swerved because there were at least 5 deer in the road. It would have been a bloodbath if I hadn't. I got lucky cause when I looked in the rear view mirror, my trailer was up on 2 tires!! Luckily it came down the right way. Second time, I swerved enough to impact the deer with the trailer instead of head on. You are also not supposed to hit your brakes. That lowers the front of your vehicle and increases the chance of the deer coming through the windshield. When I lived in MA, Moose were a real danger and make deer seem like mice!!

TOXIC

If I may submit another theory. The guy was driving a Dodge AND pulling a Bayliner.... he was suicidal.:lol::p:lol:

It looks to me that it could be a brand new boat so maybe the dealer was at fault in the way he set it all up, including putting the wrong trailer under it? Maybe he was a brand new boater but figured he could drive his new boat home ok?

I agree with Marty too in not trying to save the animal that wanders in front of your vehicle! But I also know, and it's happened, that if a deer or other animal leaps out in front of my car I'm going to swerve to some degree or other..It's reflexive I guess..

Uncle Billy

I wonder if he had those slick strips on his trailer bunks?

;)

Too bad I hate to see anyone in that predicament. I once seen a brand new Ranger and trailer come unhooked and go throught the ditch an into a cornfield. The older gentleman was a first time boat owner and this was his prize. He didn't know what he did wrong but I think he forgot to latch the hitch and didn't have his chains properly attached.

what a deal!!

fatrap

I dont think I need to tell my tale....

I will say all I left behind was a telephone pole broken off 10 feet off the ground and a bunch of debris!!!! I think the trooper told me i flipped 3.5 times....

Latest posts

Back