trailer brakes chattering

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatrap

Reaction score
Just completed trip to PierreSD. Noticed that the t brakes ocassionally chattered when just about stopped. Not everytime just once in a while. Trailer has sat for a month.....rusty drums? Never didvthis before. Tracker Tundra. Don't believe it will affect 400 mile trip home as they aren't locking up.
Ideas anyone
Fatrap

Typical drum brakes mate,you'll find it's a combination of rust and moisture, also check the the brake show hasn't delaminated from the liner, that's also pretty common. I fish the salt so mine dissolved very quickly and the chattering actually smashed a brake drum. I replaced them with discs and now they are perfect.

Thanks for the heads up on the brakes. After dunking them one time all problems gone. I was told the same thing you said Thommo59 but by that time I wasn't so worried. Just got home a couple hours ago and no worries. When it's time for winterizing I'll have the boys look at the brakes to be sure.

Mike Grandick

Mark how much did the disc brakes set u back? Adjusting for the difference in currency.

fatrap

By memory it was around $280 for everything from Sturdee trailers down in Florida. I have all the details at home so I can give you more specifics then if you need it. That was for 2 Galvex Discs, bearings, Brackets, Calipers and associated bolts. Ready to bolt on.

Just curious. No salt water here but if it's just a bolt on I may be interested. How would you bleed the system?

fatrap

Thommo59 I had the brakes looked at while the boat was being put up for winter. They're in great shape. I had over greased the side in question causing the clattering. I was told to stay away from the grease gun and only use it once or twice a season. Your lucky you summer is arriving things are freezing here.
fatrap

That's good and bad, good about the brakes and bad it's time to put it to bed. Over here I fish all year and sometimes in winter u wear a jacket! We don't get snow at all where I am and our winters are like San Diego

I wouldn't mind trying a trip to OZ. Used to have a friend (Rod Ayers) who raised German Shorthair pointers(Legendary Kennels) He was always after me to come on down and visit. Now that I'm retired it's doable but I hate even a two hour plane ride let alone one that last all day. Do you ever have any problems with the salties? Don't suppose they'd let me in country with my 44 magnum. :)
fatrap

Come on over mate, I hate flying, totally hate it but with the aid of drugs that knock the crap out of me, I can do 14 hours in the bird. Being that Australia is similar in size to the states but with population of just a little more than LA, there's about 2 chances of me stumbling on your mate Rod Ayers although I did own a GSP once.

I would love to see you try to get a pistol into the country, you would shut the airport down!

Salties I guess you mean Salt Water Crocs? They are only in the northern parts of Oz and I'm south east, just below Sydney. Up north they are everywhere, you don't put any of your bits in the water up there, they're not like aligators, these mongrels will come stalking you and do not back away. The fresh water crocs are way smaller and fairly timid although we wouldn't want to pat one.

Latest posts

Back