Trailer bearings follow up...why it's important!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Stern

Reaction score
Managed to pop the rear seals out of the hubs. Thanks for the tips!

Now, for those of you who don't maintain your trailer bearings (including me, up until now), here's why it's a good idea: The rear bearing on the left axle was burnt. One of the retaining seals in the bearing had come out. The grease was pretty blackened.

Thankfully, with this trailer (not my Tracker trailer...this one is for a jetski/shuttle craft dinghy), I never go more than about 15 miles each way to the lake, even less when the jetski is in a rented parking spot near the lake. If I had attempted a journey of any distance, I'm sure the bearing would have failed completely, resulting in an unplanned stop, or worst case, an accident.

So, check those bearings! Or pay someone to do it for you.

A few months after I got my boat, one of the rubber covors from the
axle bearing gresse nipples got messed up. I know carry spairs with
me.

I've always used bearing buddys, simular to the ones on my tracker
trailer. Love em, I re-greese every couple of months, more if I use it more.

I grease my bearings on a regular basis and I'm still using
the original bearings that came with my trailer and they are almost 10 years old. I had to replace a grease seal three years ago and I fully expected to replace the bearings at the same time. But, the bearings looked to be in excellent shape so I put them right back in and they're still going strong.
Those EZ Lube hubs are great if used correctly. Don't just add a little bit of grease each time. Pump out all of the old grease. That way you are removing all the water and other contaminents that can cause problems. You will also see potential problems before they turn into a disaster on the highway. It's kind of messy but, it isn't difficult and grease is a lot cheaper than new bearings.
Frank

Latest posts

Back