Trailer Bearing Recall

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DONAOL

Reaction score
Heads Up: Just got a letter for bad trailer bearings in 2020, 2021, 2022 Nitro Trailers. Both single and dual axle trailers. You have to go to Service Center for repairs or replacement.

Attachments

• IMG_0253.jpg
    IMG_0253.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 63
I'll catch flak for this but-- if it were me, I would just take a few minutes, outside or in the garage, and inspect the hub nut tightness and grease- adjusting if necessary.
According to the letter, should be an easy inspection and fix for a do-it-yourselfer.

I believe the recall letter and the recall in general is just to cover their butts. They want us to return our trailers with no boats. Is anyone actually going to do that?
I fish quite a bit, and jack up my trailer/ feel my wheel bearings every month. The first time I did my drivers/left side was too loose. I disassembled both sides, cleaned and packed the bearings and reassembled them, tightened correctly. That was back in January. It would be less work to service your own bearings than to figure out how to take the trailer back with no boat. (unless you live on a lake)

Most, or maybe even all vehicles manufactured today have sealed wheel bearings. It's time for trailers to have the same thing.

I'll catch flak for this but-- if it were me, I would just take a few minutes, outside or in the garage, and inspect the hub nut tightness and grease- adjusting if necessary.
According to the letter, should be an easy inspection and fix for a do-it-yourselfer.
Lucky for me the Tracker Service Center is 15 mins away. Called service center and they said leave the boat on the trailer. For others farther away I'm sure it would be a bigger hassle. I've changed trailer bearings before, but in this case it's under warranty and when Tracker does it you are covered if there is any problems down the road.

I believe the recall letter and the recall in general is just to cover their butts. They want us to return our trailers with no boats. Is anyone actually going to do that?
I fish quite a bit, and jack up my trailer/ feel my wheel bearings every month. The first time I did my drivers/left side was too loose. I disassembled both sides, cleaned and packed the bearings and reassembled them, tightened correctly. That was back in January. It would be less work to service your own bearings than to figure out how to take the trailer back with no boat. (unless you live on a lake)

Most, or maybe even all vehicles manufactured today have sealed wheel bearings. It's time for trailers to have the same thing.
Good point about sealed bearing on trailers. Sure would save time and work every year. Service center said I don't have to take my boat off the trailer.

The recall is very simple--They torque the wheel nut to 50 lbs to seat the bearings then back it off and finger tight until the cotter pin can be installed. This has long been the proper procedure to installed new bearings/hubs. Someone at the factory simply misunderstood the procedure and didn't tighten them down to seat the bearings properly. They heard "Finger Tight" and went with it. WRMG--Is reducing their liability by saying "Take the boat off the trailer". They simply want the weight off the trailer while in route so in the event a failure occurs while in route they aren't liable for accidents, or towing/on-road repairs. They DO NOT say, "Don't tow the boat on the trailer AT ALL until the Recall is completed" do they??? I'm sure they'd be pissed at the dealer for saying to leave the boat on.

I contacted White River Marine. The rep said leave the boat on the trailer. Very few of us have the option of taking boat off trailer. I have to drive 97 miles. I will examine my bearings, even though I have about 800 miles on trailer.

Had the recall service done. Took about 35 minutes. Yes it’s pain to take trailer back, but the repairs are covered under warranty.

For those DIY'ers out there---I understand, at times it's faster and easier to do it yourself than driving all over hells creation to get something done---BUT keep in mind that if you don't comply with a recall and something happens they may not cover the repairs!!

Does this cover all trailers for any model? I didn't get a recall notice.

The letter I got said WRMG 2020, 2021, and 2022 trailers, both single and dual axle. If you think yours might be covered but you didn't get a letter I'd call them.

Have you serviced or had your wheel bearings serviced since you got your boat?

I fish quite a bit, which means my trailer get's quite a few miles. I jack mine up a feel of them monthly. This first time I done this, a month after I got my boat I found one side was slightly loose. I repaired the problem then. I disassemble, clean and re pack mine once a year. I'm not a fan of just putting a pump of grease in the fittings on the axle.
I have extensive towing, and wheel bearing experience due to racing years ago. My race car trailers go a bunch more miles per year than my boat trailer does, but they never got backed into the water. My wheel bearing maintenance is probably overkill but it only take a little time and doesn't hurt anything.

I called my dealer and they stated mine indeed was part of the recall. I'm on season 2 with my boat. I trailer it long distances a number of times per year for most of my fishing. I have greased the fittings but not checked the bearings. The problem for me is my dealer is 1.5 hours away. I'm not much of a mechanic but it seems like checking them is something I could do myself.

Timmer, if you weren't over 1000 miles away I'd teach you how to pack wheel bearings. It would probably be best to have them looked at by someone. Paying a local tech may be a better option than driving 1.5 hours one way.

The factory glitch ended up with bearings that were too loose. Too loose is better than too tight. Had they been too tight many of us would have ended up on the side of the road with a smoking wheel.

I have a NITRO Z20 2021 pro, I noticed my tires were wearing on rear axel on inside, if it was misaligned one side would show opposite wear on tire at the other side, "in most cases", I also seen grease coming out on wheels making a mess on my front axel. once the recall letter came to me I schedule an appointment with boat on trailer, They found a mess, wheel bearings were not even close to being tight on three of four axels EXTREEMLY LOOSE on both sides (Tire wear), front axel had rear seals not installed properly causing grease to spew. They also found no bolts in one of the brake calipers thank goodness they were the type that can't fall out but move back and fort which the clicking noise I heard when I pulled up to stop. I had to replace two tires and I am lucky I did not lose a wheel. The shop just recently had a NITRO 2021 in their shop and they had it's axel laying there they just replaced due to cracks in axel shaft where bearings ride. very poor quality on Quality Control in their contracted out trailer vendor, if I was NITRO I would be shopping around. By the way I am putting in allot of miles and fishing in the last 18 months. WOW, I was blown away. GO GET the trailer checked out, it is free and most places around here don't require boat off.

very poor quality on Quality Control in their contracted out trailer vendor, if I was NITRO I would be shopping around.
My understanding is that Nitro builds their own trailers--They do not buy from someone else the way most manufacturers do.

There is a recall on most Nitro Trailers involving trailer hubs. Dealer should take care of you.

It isn't Most trailers---It's only for 2020--2022 trailers with specific serial numbers---If you are the original owner you should have already received the letter. If you are not the original owner you should call your local tracker center with the VIN# to see if it is on the recall list.

My trailer is built by TrailerStar for tracker marine, Tracker Marine currently has a manufacturing shop today in Missouri building trailers. Tracker Marine has recalled several types of trailers over the years for poor engineering, you think something as simple as a trailer you could get it right? 2012 they had axel problems, 2004 wheel and rotor problems. Todays recall is just for 2020 - 2022 as the recall letter stipulates, if you are not the owner must certified centers will not even question it, the will use the S/N on trailer to get their money from NITRO.

Latest posts

Back