Trailer Bearing Recall

Nitro & Tracker Boat Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro & Tracker Boat Owners Forum:

DONAOL

Reaction score
Heads Up: Just got a letter for bad trailer bearings in 2020, 2021, 2022 Nitro Trailers. Both single and dual axle trailers. You have to go to Service Center for repairs or replacement.

Attachments

• IMG_0253.jpg
    IMG_0253.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 63
Reaction score
I'll catch flak for this but-- if it were me, I would just take a few minutes, outside or in the garage, and inspect the hub nut tightness and grease- adjusting if necessary.
According to the letter, should be an easy inspection and fix for a do-it-yourselfer.

Woody b

Reaction score
I believe the recall letter and the recall in general is just to cover their butts. They want us to return our trailers with no boats. Is anyone actually going to do that?
I fish quite a bit, and jack up my trailer/ feel my wheel bearings every month. The first time I did my drivers/left side was too loose. I disassembled both sides, cleaned and packed the bearings and reassembled them, tightened correctly. That was back in January. It would be less work to service your own bearings than to figure out how to take the trailer back with no boat. (unless you live on a lake)

Most, or maybe even all vehicles manufactured today have sealed wheel bearings. It's time for trailers to have the same thing.

DONAOL

Reaction score
I'll catch flak for this but-- if it were me, I would just take a few minutes, outside or in the garage, and inspect the hub nut tightness and grease- adjusting if necessary.
According to the letter, should be an easy inspection and fix for a do-it-yourselfer.
Lucky for me the Tracker Service Center is 15 mins away. Called service center and they said leave the boat on the trailer. For others farther away I'm sure it would be a bigger hassle. I've changed trailer bearings before, but in this case it's under warranty and when Tracker does it you are covered if there is any problems down the road.

DONAOL

Reaction score
I believe the recall letter and the recall in general is just to cover their butts. They want us to return our trailers with no boats. Is anyone actually going to do that?
I fish quite a bit, and jack up my trailer/ feel my wheel bearings every month. The first time I did my drivers/left side was too loose. I disassembled both sides, cleaned and packed the bearings and reassembled them, tightened correctly. That was back in January. It would be less work to service your own bearings than to figure out how to take the trailer back with no boat. (unless you live on a lake)

Most, or maybe even all vehicles manufactured today have sealed wheel bearings. It's time for trailers to have the same thing.
Good point about sealed bearing on trailers. Sure would save time and work every year. Service center said I don't have to take my boat off the trailer.

Z-Man 21XL

Reaction score
The recall is very simple--They torque the wheel nut to 50 lbs to seat the bearings then back it off and finger tight until the cotter pin can be installed. This has long been the proper procedure to installed new bearings/hubs. Someone at the factory simply misunderstood the procedure and didn't tighten them down to seat the bearings properly. They heard "Finger Tight" and went with it. WRMG--Is reducing their liability by saying "Take the boat off the trailer". They simply want the weight off the trailer while in route so in the event a failure occurs while in route they aren't liable for accidents, or towing/on-road repairs. They DO NOT say, "Don't tow the boat on the trailer AT ALL until the Recall is completed" do they??? I'm sure they'd be pissed at the dealer for saying to leave the boat on.

Outcast

NTO Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I contacted White River Marine. The rep said leave the boat on the trailer. Very few of us have the option of taking boat off trailer. I have to drive 97 miles. I will examine my bearings, even though I have about 800 miles on trailer.

DONAOL

Reaction score
Had the recall service done. Took about 35 minutes. Yes it’s pain to take trailer back, but the repairs are covered under warranty.