Trailblazer - correct "drop" for hitch?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Haugh

Reaction score
I just bought a new (to me) 2002 Trailblazer LTZ. It should tow my '99 Nitro 185 Sport nicely. Especially compared to the prior towing vehicle. A 1999 Pontiac Montana. :rolleyes: Hey, I am on an economy-induced budget..

Question for you Trailblazer guys - how much drop is ideal for towing a single axle Nitro trailer? I was thinking 3", but I don't know if that will be enough given how 'tall' the Trailblazer receiver stands in the rear. We are talking an 18-ft, not a 21-ft, and I don't know how much the rear will squat once she is hooked up.

Appreciate the input, as always.

Perfect world you want your trailer to be dead level. I have a 3/4 ton HD truck and I used a 3in drop on a dual axle and it was perfect. Mac has pulled with a TB so you can wait for him to post or email him. You can go out and measure your hitch ball to ground and duplicate that distance by cranking your boat to the same height with your front trailer jack and see how it sits, account for some squat on the TB and go from there. Most places will let you exchange drop hitches if you are experimenting. You do need to get it right or your trailer will be unruly running down the road.

Does a LTZ have self-leveling air shock pumps by any chance. Might seem a silly question, but I traded my Trailblazer (LS stripper) for a Tahoe LT and it senses the extra weight and pumps up the shocks to off-set the extra weight. Go figure. Put 2 fat-asses on the tail-gate of the Tahoe and turn on the key and it will raise up a couple inches. If you aren't hearing the pump kick in, disregard.

No, I don't hear the rears pumping up. Our 99 Montana has self leveling rear shocks, so I am familiar with the pumping sound you mentioned. Thanks for the input. I may peek under there just in case. :cool:

Latest posts

Back