Trading up? Or Lateral

• Thread starter Christopher Laurencio
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christopher Laurencio

Reaction score
I need some advice from the Nitro Guys on this trade I may try and do. This is a 98 Savage 884 $9,900. It's been sittin at a dealer for many months. And most likely will trade for the 2004 PT 185 I have.

What's your thoughts on the model, size, fishablilty, Outboard, top end speed, comfort with my wife and boys in the boat. Rough water etc.

Here is the specs.

1998 Nitro Savage 884, 18', with Merc 150 EFI, Single console, Mtr.Guide 56lb trol.mtr, Low 1240A flasher in dash, Low X65 at dash, Low X22 at bow, bike seat, swing tounge.

Thanks

Forgot the picture
Pa060034.jpg

CJ....what's the deal? Why would you want to trade that new 185?

Well,

I have nothing against the PT 185, if I could keep both I would.

1) I need something bigger more comfortable to fish tourneys with in bigger water. If I want to go as a boater.

2) My boys and wife like to go with me, as my boys get older they will be going more often. So if I trade now I get the best money for the trade. The heavier boat I assume will be more stable, especially in the crazy lakes of NJ.

3) I need more HP, especially in the lakes and rivers around here.

Chris

My first real bassboat was a 1996 Savage 884. Other than the seats developing tears within the first three months I never had a problem with the boat at all. I had the boat out on Champlain numerous times and had no stress cracks and only a few gel coat cracks. As far as top speed the only thing I had to go by was the speedo which read around 60 MPH which may or may not have been accurate . I I sold it to a guy who is a member of Jackson bass and he still has the boat, he loves it. Who is the dealer ? Clark

Tom, it's in CT in the Ranger dealer up there. He said they usually don't take trades on a used boat but that one has been sitting on the lot for a while.

Chris

I think you'd enjoy the boat, check the trailer though. Thats is one thing Nitro needed to change, and so they did in 2005.

I found a 98 Nitro 896 200 EFI for little ove 11k and potential work on the lower unit. So it sounds like you got a pretty good deal going.

Chris - As i'm looking to join a bass club, what things about the 185 vs. the Nitro that are "I need something bigger more comfortable to fish tourneys with in bigger water"? Isn't the 884 the same length/width as the 185? On HP I can understand if you want to go faster during a T, but what else is in your mind between the 2?

Just want to see where your head is at, as i'm looking 2 years down the line at a new boat and wondering about a boat for fishing club Ts, and was thinking a 185 with a 115 would be a nice boat.

Trep

I agree with BMCD Chris ,Check out the trailer . I purchased a galvanized trailer for my 884 and didn

Tom - that's why I wish the TV 18 and the 185 still had dual consoles as options, i'd be happy (I think) with a 185 with 115 Merc and a dual console. The boat would run in around 50mph WOT and keep me and my partner Eli (5 years old) warm!!

Well Trep, That's why I'm asking if the 884 is more stable in rough water,wind,and comfort in fishing an 8 hour tourney. I would imagine the 884 is heavier with less freeboard sticking out of the water. I would also assume it does not lean as much when a 200+ pound partner is standing in the back of the boat. I want a bigger battery compartment and want a hull that I can ride in rough water.

I'm no expert but I would think the 185 with a 115 hanging off the back would be sitting very low in the water. Also at that price you could get a glass boat or bigger Tin rig such as the TV-18 or Avalanche for a small diff in price.

But really I'm not bad mouthing the ProTeams, I own one and may very well end up owning one for a long time to come.

But I have to tell you, when your sitting at idle in the water waiting for blast off with the other boats and your ProTeam is spinning in circles from the wind and drifting down wind and the glass boats are just sitting in the same spot, well that's the difference. Current, wind and chop is magnified in the Proteam versus a glass boat.

My head is spinning as usual, I'm not very good at making my mind up :). and it's cold up here!

Tom,

It's a single console, that is very true, my wife was upset after the first trip in the 185 in the wind a slashing, she said "why don't I have a Console".

Tom, My current trailer has little pock marks in the paint on the fenders, thought it was just dirt marks from light colored mud. Apparetly when they put that oil and gravel mix on the roads up by me instead of repaving it messes up the trailer. I may have to invest in mud guards for my truck.

The real ONLY thing against my 185 is....

Having such a low draught in the rear corners even with a 90 which is only 3". I've had mine on the great lakes and it will take waves pretty good but, you have to be real careful when going slow or getting swamped from the rear..which I've done:(

On the other hand the 884 doesn't have much more of a draught than the 185.

As far as fishing "big water" on a regular basis...I'd have to look at something with deeper sides:)

Tox, I did, and I like it, and it mathces my truck better problem is I need to unload mine, this dealer is willing to trade.

In any event thanks

If you want to go that route CJ....If you trade on a new Nitro...you'll get "top dollar" at the Nitro dealer. Anytime you trade the same product...you'll do good. Cinci gave me $4500 for a 94 Pro Team that I know could not have sold outright for $3000.

There ought to be a way to get around that......sell it outright for what the dealer wants to give you in trade. I guarantee you it's not what the boat is worth because you know they will mark it up and sell it. I am pretty high on CIII's NITRO cause I've seen it and I've seen it run and I sure would like to see it go to someone on the board. It is in PRISTINE shape and mechaniclly sound. It's a good one (well, my 929 is a good one but I have decided not to sell just yet).

TOXIC

I'm thinking of starting the process on this board, I was thinking $9,800 what's your take on that Toxic. That's the price the TN dealer said to ask for on the street.

It's a great Boat.. I have had mine since 97.. I had a prob with the flasher the first week I had it. Other than that, Never a problem with it. Dealer set it up for 70 mph runs. Been hitting that mark since day one. Hole shot is hard to beat. Lot's of storage.. It does well on big water Lakes but if thats all you plan to hit then a Deep-V Multi species boat would be better. I would look over that boat with a fine tooth comb though. Trailer as well. Look inside all the compartments. Might show you how well the original owner was with it. I like the length of the boat. With the swing away tongue I am able to keep it in my Garage.. All year.. But make sure you shop around.. Might find a better deal out there.. Still a nice Boat!!

Max <><

With a new 90? That seems low dude...I know what I paid for mine 3 years ago.

I guess that's about right with a 60....

BTW...That's a sweet and fast boat:)

I would. I still have my 1996 884 savage with 150EFI and it runs great. I fish 100 or more days a year and that boat and I have been everywhere. It's made me some good money.

Chris that gambler is a ROCKET and a Pimp'd one too "gold package!" LOL I like the bench and arm rest/cupholder. Looks like a nice cruising boat with the family and then BAM she's a ROCKET!!!

Of course she's NOT a Nitro, so i'd never be caught DEAD in one!!! LOL

That's "Perfect" for NJ waters, gotta get pimped for my fishin! I'll have to talk to the "OLD Ball & chain" tonight.

Trep, I'm dyin up here, how's the Accounting/CPA market in GA, IBM? Hook a brotha up!

OH, I'm dyin from the cold long winter! I hate it.

Also forgot to ask how your club meeting went? I remember you posting about it, hope it went well, the new club I'm in is completely diff, than the lsat one.

Chris - LOTS of jobs in Atlanta, check AJC.com and COME ON DOWN!!! Its COLD here too, its a FRIGID 66 degrees, blue skies and sunny! Windows open and fresh air in the house!!

On the club, went to the first meeting, sounds very interesting and laid back - NOT a super competitive group and when they go over the prior month's T results each person mentions what they caught their fish on for learning/sharing.

Only 2 things that concern me are:

1. The club fishes 1/4 - 1/3 overnight Ts (2 days) and with me teaching Sundayschool i'd miss most of them. But you pay for the T's whether you go or not (the T fee). I found another club that fishes VERY Few away Ts but they met on a night when I always have a late meeting, so thats out.

2. about 1/3 of the members smoke. Now its your choice and I believe in your freedom to do that, but MAN my clothes STUNK when I got home. I wonder about driving down for 2 hours in the truck with one of the smokers and how it would make me feel??? Wonder what they end up doing to their boat carpet/seats don't want anyone smoking on my boat.

I'm gonna fish the Dec 4th T with the club as a try out. Gotta pay my dues and join the week before, then you fish 2 T's and then they vote on you. If they decide NOT to let you in or you decide to not join, they give you your $$ back, which is reasonable.

Trep

Trep, I'll be looking out!

Why can't you join the club that meets on the night you can't go? Since I'm a corporate accountant I could not make many meetings in any club that meets the first week of the month, I'm sure they would understand.

I smoke, but NEVER in my Truck or House and hate indoor smoking, heck I hate smokers myself.(LOL) So they wouldn't smoke in your vehicle, and in the boat, you tell them no smoking while fishing, if you lite up, put the rod down until your done, that way you don't get burn holes. That's what I do, in my boat and in others. Asking them not to smoke at all on your boat would make for a LONGGGGGGG Tourney.

Michael, when you went with me I asked you if you minded if I smoked.. It's a nasty habit and I am quitting before the surgery. I have always tried to accomodate non-smokers when I am with them.

Bill

I was afraid of the "Asking them not to smoke at all on your boat would make for a LONGGGGGGG Tourney. " LOL

From being at the new club, the problem on going to one where I can't attend most of the meetings, is that most clubs you can't vote and don't get the "friendly banter/friendship" outside the water that i'm looking for too.

I'll let you know how it goes in 3 weeks.

Trep

Bill, Good luck, I have had a prescription (twice) for that pill that helps the urges but never filled it.

Trep, good luck.

Bill and Chris - Just get your wive's to agree that ANYTIME you have the urge to smoke, you 2 get nekid! I assume if you smoke a pack or 2 a day, that might translate in to a LOT of private time. VERY shortly you'll be SOO tired you'll have NO urge at all!!! LOL

Good luck both of you, it can ONLY improve your health and keep you alive more years!

LOL... Chris, want to talk to somebody really stupid? I quit and didn't smoke for 15 years before I started again.

I have friend who used to bring me real cuban Cohiba's. All different sizes and I soon started inhaling them. One day at my Surgeon's about a year ago I told him about those cigars and he told me I'd be better off smoking cigarettes.

Well, just to show him and show how dumb I am I started smoking them again, duh! I WILL be quitting in a couple of weeks though.

Bill

Bill - And yes you were very polite and asked even though it was your truck we were riding in, I appreciated that!

CJ,

If you can sell yours outright, we may be able to deal man. Just let me know. Would be cool for the third owner to come from this board!

I can also work on the delivery too. Just keep it in mind.

Carlos

Carlos - If you could have only bought an 882 DC and held it for 2 more years, I MIGHT be interested!!! LOL

Man, that S&T boat ROCKS, even if its a Monkeyboat!!! shame i'd have to buy a $30k truck to tow one with, and that makes a REAL expensive package!!!

I want some pic's of you and the MacMobile!!!

Hey CJ...What would be your bottom dollar for your rig? :) I'm serious....my dad retires in January for sure and he needs a bigger boat.

Tee,Carlos, I just got in let me get back to you on that.

It would be pretty cool owning a boat a Marine owned. :)

"Monkeyboat?"...Hey Carlos,...are you going to let some skinny little dude with "USS DADDY" on the back of his beer can,..call your boat a "Monkeyboat?!"...shoot his eye out!!

LOL!! (Trep,...I've seen his shooting log books and his framed 1000 yd targets....you better run FAAARRRR...and i mean FAAAARRR,......FAAAARRR away!!) Envy is such an UGLY emotion!! Now get back to work!!!

You better Salute that S.S. Daddy when she cruises buy Mac Daddy, it DID carry the 2004 NTOWS Rally Winner!!!!!

So, when does the new MacMobile show up? Same wrap job or a new one??

Hasn't been ordered yet!! Don't know what I'm going to do for 2005 yet,.....other than send one daughter off to COLLEGE with my wallet!!

Come on Mac, at least try the Ranger Tin series for us!!

Hey, just looked on the Ranger site, no Aluminium boats?

Mac, how about a 522 in Graphite/Silver colors, then I can hold out with the tin until your ready to sell it :). You know that tin boat is giving my lead poisoning.

You're KILLING us Chris!!! Bad enough to go Glass but RANGER!!!! LOL

Trep, what's the big deal anyway! I would still be the same lousy fisherman. If I get the Gambler, I'm changing my handle on this website to "NJ-FISHINPIMP". And putting

BADA-BING on the transom.

Did you ever drive a 522 Trep? Waves what waves!

22.5" of sparkles,

my 5 year old is always sayin, "Dad, how come our Boat doesn't have sparkles" :(

CJL...I'd be happy to order a 522 for you as long as you're willing to put a significant "non-refundable" deposit on it to show you're serious!! A 522 is a battle ship and i'm not even sure it'll fit in my garage,......but a 521?? No problem!!

Trep....the people on this board are getting smarter all the time!! LOL Amazing isn't it,......hang in there buddy,..it'll click for you too one day!! BWAAHHAAAAA!!!

Chris - Nope never been in any ranger but a late 80's 18fter years ago. Now I have been in a 929 with a 250XB and MAN what a RIDE! Smooth FAST and I kept having to call Dan on his cell phone up front to find out if he was still on the boat it was so HUGE!!!! LOL

Mac - Me in a Ranger? Maybe if I win the lottery or someone with a 2-3 yearold boat dies and the wife REALY needs cash and has NO idea what it's worth!!! LOL

For instance on Boattraderonline - 2001 RANGER 518 VX 18' 2001 RANGER 518VX W/200 MERCURY OPTIMAX - $24,995!!! with the 2005's out thats a FOUR yearold 18ft boat for $25GRAND!!!! MAN, this weekend angler didn't spend that much for my 2003 Minivan!!!!

When I buy my next boat in 2 years, it will be somewhere between 10 - 15k depending on the value of my Tracker (which by the way due to the unique features and demand for the PC 175 is still selling used for only 25% less then I paid 5 years ago!!!!)

Heres ya MonkeyBoat!! It is getting test driven by the wife unit!!!!

Helps if I attach the picture
IM000900.JPG

Latest posts

Back