Tracker vs. Fisher

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guy Smiley

Reaction score
My current boat search is pretty much narrowed down to two finalists. I will almost certainly buy either the Tracker Super Guide V-16 DLX SC or the virtually-identical Fisher 16 Avenger within th enext two weeks.

The boats are literally the same hull, made in the same factory with identical specs. One minor material difference I can detect (other than the cosmetics and decals) is the Tracker claims to have a 7-0 locking rod box whereas the Fisher lists that space as 6-6. I can't understand why there should/could be a difference.

One other possibly big difference is the floor. The Fisher has a vinyl "main deck" with all the elevated surfaces carpeted. The Tracker is carpeted all over. What, if any, benefits do you folks see in one or the other configuration?

The Fisher will cost a few hundred more, and the Fisher dealer is 40 miles away. The Tracker dealer is only about 7 miles from my home. But I'm sure the Tracker guy can and will service the Mercury outboard if I bring it to him.

I'd like to hear whatever this group can offer by way of opinions on all of this.

Thanks!

Buy the one you like best...

They are both made by Tracker Marine

KB

I don't wish to sound like a smart-a** but I thought I made it very clear that I knew they were made by the same people.

It looks like KB was agreeing with you that they are both made by the same folks.

so sorry sir... i didn't read your post properly...please accept my humble apology!!!!!!

still buy the one you like best

OK, fabulous, we all agree the boats are made in the same factory.

It's not a question of which one I "like better" it's a question of which floor is better for fishing. Is the rug harder to clean, for example? Do you dind that hooks get snagged in it? Is the vinyl slippery when wet? Is it likely to tear? I'm hoping someone with experience will have some input. I don't want to get into a sniping match, please.

Now, if someone would be kind enough to actually answer my question(s) about the merits (or not) of the vinyl vs. carpeted floor, I would be grateful.

Lighten up Smiley.....

You will get answers here, but not with that attitude.

Have you ever owned a boat before?

Don't think you'll find too many Fisher owners here...so don't expect much:blink:

BTW...how'd ya' get the handle?;)

The name comes from the game-show host character on the Muppet Show.

Yes, I have owned a number of boats. Currently I have a 13' canoe which I use for quiet-water fishing and paddling. I also have a 14' tiller-operated Starcraft with a 15hp Johnson. It's a bit small for my needs. Finally, I have a 19.5' Starcraft w/90 Evinrude which I inherited from my late brother. I have used it some for saltwater but the truth is I have trouble finding time to get down there (RI from MA) enough to justify keeping it. I will probably get a sit-on-top kayak for my near-shore saltwater efforts.

My plan is to sell the 14 and 19.5 and get a 16.5 that will do a little of both. The Fisher and Tracker are both well suited to my needs, but I want to make the decision with the best possible information.

I have answered your questions respectfully and in detail. Now, instead of being lectured about my attitude, I'd still appreciate some useful information from people with relevant experience. So far, nobody's helped.

Thanks.

Good grief. I ask for help, not ONE useful answer.

And no, Mike, I fish with a number of buddies, including my brother before he passed away. Thanks for the sympathy, though.

:angry:

guy, the carpet isn't bad, neither is the vinyl. My buddy has a fisher and carpet, and he put bed liner type roll on on the front so it is non slip, works well. I like the Tracker better personally, but thats me;)

No personal experience here but it seems to me the carpeted floor would be better than vinyl which would have to get slippery when wet. What color is the vinyl? A dark color would get hot in the summer as well.

Any Fisher guys out there to help?:unsure:...................:lol:

Well, here's a picture of the 16 Avenger from their website. http://www.fisherboats.com/boat/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.printOverview&boat=1807

Interestingly, here they picture it with what sure looks to be a tan carpeted floor, yet the bullet items mention a vinyl floor. And in the printed catalog, they show it with an off-white, sort of cream-colored vinyl floor. And finally, when I actually looked at one this past weekend at a boat show, it also had that vinyl floor. So, it's a little confusing, but I'm positive if you buy it it comes with the vinyl floor.

Thanks for providing some feedback.

Guy, it sometimes takes a few hours to get a question answered around here. And it's free, so the service is worth at least what you paid for it. You can't lose on this deal!

I prefer the comfort of carpet. Any time I boat/fish on a hard deck, I get fatigued sooner. Slippery is usually not an issue, except in cases where another substance, like oil, winds up on deck.

The ideal solution is snap-in carpet over a vinyl or gel-coat deck. Best of both worlds. Keep waiting for somebody to figure that out for a bass boat.

Folks,

What about the noise factor of carpet vs vinyl?

david......

You call that a lecture????? You dont know me (or anyone else here) very well...lol

I have no experience with that type of craft, but if you plan on doing salt water fishing I would stay away from carpet.

Mini

I can tell you my buddy has a 91' Tracker V16 and it's a great boat:D

CAtfish will slime up a carpet really bad also. If it were me and they were basically the same boat I'd see what the different dealers will do to sweeten the deal. What depthfinders, you want to have. Little things like pro poles, spare tire and a biggy to me, free travel covers. Also see how they are going to prop the boat. Maybe one will throw in a stainless prop with the exchange of the aluminum one. Compair trailer tires and see if one's better than the other. The Tracker Marine tires that come on Tracker trailers didn't make me warm and fuzzy and later proved to be lousey. Maybe the Fisher has better skins. Other things to look at that seem trivial but later can be huge. Pumping capacity of the bilge pumps, the same? Different? Trolling motor wiring and etc etc.

Also ask the dealers what the average turn aound time is on repairs both warrenty and other. Just my thoughts

fatrap

I can't believe ya'll are still answering this rude guy's questions. This site is a very useful resource but you're not going to get much help with comments like: "Good grief. I ask for help, not ONE useful answer." Sorry, but this attitude goes against my "Southern" upbringing.

cassbass, do you want a wa-burger with those French cries?:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I think that attitude goes against this site all together. A great group of folks here but I think Smiley will not see any of my insights in the future....LA

Rich, Nitro has it as an option on the NX 898... thats the only model so far!!!!

KB

Tracker offers the vinyl in the in the PT 175 and TV-18 All Fish that I know of. I looked at the first year the TV-18 All Fish in vinyl, as I was thinking i'd like a dual purpose boat (fresh and salt) and hated how the carpet got red/mud every winter when they draw our lake down and we have to get in/out by beaching the boat which realy muddies up the carpet.

I liked the feel and looks, but (and this may be because it was a early model) but didn't see the same attention to detail in the corners with the vinyl as I do with the carpet. Meaning there were a lot of places I could see where it looked like it would easly peel up.

So if the boats are equal and its a choice of vinyl or carpet, if I was 100% fresh water i'd say with the carpet, if I thought i'd go some Saltwater i'd go vinyl, or if you do a lot of catfishing...

And Guy - The guys are giving you very good advice on this site, this is not the Bash Fishing homepage. This is bar none the best, friendliest and most interesting fishing/boating site on the net. We give each other some grief, but like family, we are very protective of our own, and if you decide to hang out and become "one of the family" then we'll have your back.

But it does seem (as an outsider reading) you have a bit of an attitude, so dial it back a bit to start with. Its not uncommon for folks to A) joke in a post, B) not 100% understand what you are asking and thus make assumptions as to what you realy wanted/needed or knew, and C) argue but come out shaking hands.

So welcome.

Yeah....we even tolerate Trep on here.

Not only is he a skinny, ugly, no-fish-catching chicken-leg fella, he's a Jewish-hillbilly redneck to boot!!! :lol::p

Boy that turned into something it shouldnt have, but I must say you get what you give. Everyone I have spoken to on this site is great. I gues you have to know how to ask the question. Smiley dont be so uptight, take a break and have some fun. You seem a little wound up.:eek::eek::lol:

Jaws

Boy I can't believe how well my brethren are behaving here today.. I'm so proud.:wub:

Personally I hope you buy a Fisher smiley. That way you can find a Fisher site to harangue and be rude to.

Uncle Billy

Hey Neeley - I resent that UGLY comment!!!! LOL

Neeley... Us real hillbilly rednecks are not ready to accept a Mini-Van Driving Saturn Lovin Jar-Jar Binks look-a-like Yuppy... So, until Michael states that he "chaws" and his favorite lunch is Moon Pies, Vienna Sausages and Dr. Pepper... it ain't happenin... Now, he might make honorary redneck with his piscatorial prowess... he does catch a mean green carp now and then... more then than now... but.... as they say even a blind squirrel can find an acorn once in a while...

Greg - I'm 1/2 there buddy "he "chaws" and his favorite lunch is Moon Pies, Vienna Sausages and Dr. Pepper",, I do LOVE Moon Pies and Dr. Pepper, not found of vienna sausages and do NOT and will NEVER chaw!!!! LOL

Guy,

My apologies for some of the rude responses from some of the members here. It has been a long winter and everybody has a touch of cabin fever.

If you really want some honest answers to your questions, click on the link below and post your question there. They will give you some opinions on Tracker Boats vs Fisher without all the hassle.

http://www.wmi.org/bassfish/bassboard/boats_motors/index.html

Just trying to help a Brutha out.:p

Steve
http://www.wmi.org/bassfish/bassboard/boats_motors/index.html

Send the sheep to a pack of wolves.... you thought we were brutal!!!!!

Yep, it's March and cabin fever is rearin' it's ugly head...

Ahoy, spring! Y'er a welcome site, matey!

On a more serious note... I sent an e-mail to Guy about this post... Not that I'm a good one to talk... But the man seems to be O.K. He just came across a little harsh...

He didn't know how tight we all are here:(

Welcome him aboard, get to know him, THEN we can hog pile him...

He just didn't know what to expect...

KB

KB,

If you say so, that's good enough for me.

WELCOME GUY!!!

guy-smiley_figure-01.jpg

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I thought the name sounded familiar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Couldn't place it though.

Here is IMO one of the most important things.. Dealer --Dealer-- Dealer..

Check out the local dealers -- They will make or brake your boating fun.

All boats brake-- Now how is your dealer going to help you and your boat.??

Rick

I'd have to put my vote in for carpet over vinyl. Yes it will get dirty, stained and matted down, but in a heavy rain and rolling seas I'd want the traction of carpet. It also wouldn't crack or get cut up like vinyl.

Now...we all need to dial it back a bit before Teri comes in here and thumps some heads.

Man this is what i love about this site. :wub: Some Guy comes on here with an attitude and snip back at him and set him straight on how we are here as well as he deserved :angry: and yet we still welcome him in ;).Gave him some very good responses too!I.m proud to be in such good company.Guy, there is alot of other sites out there that love to bash each other but here on this site like someone has already said is pretty close knit and it is one of the best places to get information.Relax be patient and have a good time.Now all we need is some of our jewis-briars home brew and a party!!! :D:wacko::p

Steve ><}}}}'>

Very true comments... About the only folks ever run off deliberately were the Kwik Drop folks... Remember them... Well I had a "flashback" (no not malarial)... Saturday morning a few weeks ago... That goofy "Bass Tech" show... There it was... A Kwik Drop on the bow of some boat... They even got a "credit" in the show's scroll at the end...

BTW, welcome... just take it easy... The nice thing about here is that you are only a stranger once... After that you are a "member" with all of the rights and privileges (NONE)...

I vote with Mark... Carpet... the vinyl is always dirty and slick...

Very true comments... About the only folks ever run off deliberately were the Kwik Drop folks... Remember them... Well I had a "flashback" (no not malarial)... Saturday morning a few weeks ago... That goofy "Bass Tech" show... There it was... A Kwik Drop on the bow of some boat... They even got a "credit" in the show's scroll at the end...

Every once in a while, I get an email from them asking if they can come back. I think to myself, "Sure, right after I finishing whacking myself on the head with this hammer, I'd love to have them come back..."

Rich...

The fact that they ask makes me laugh... Ego... such a little word and such a big problem...

BTW

Can anyone recommend an adjustable seat post so it can be lowered when running and raised easily when needed? :blink::cool::p

Paul

Funny, my seat post pulls out of the mounting hole and can be stored on the floor of the boat. It came standard with the boat. All it requires is a little muscle and some effort on my part.

:p

re: Tracker vs. Fisher by Paul P,3/7/2006 10:04 CT

BTW

Can anyone recommend an adjustable seat post so it can be lowered when running and raised easily when needed?

Paul

re: Tracker vs. Fisher by Bill Barham,3/7/2006 12:46 CT

Paul P.

GO TO YOUR ROOM!

:lol::lol::lol:

Now that's some funny stuff right there.

Harpo

Latest posts

Back