Tracker Targa trailer adjustments

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grunt32

Reaction score
Just acquired a 2006 Tracker V165 wt Targa boat
Bought a Shorelander trailer to get it back from the north but it doesn't fit the hull properly
Decided to resell it now
Found a 2014 Tracker Targa 18 trailer for sale online in storage
Just wondering if the axle and running boards can be moved or are they welded to the frame
Thought to move them forward and just cut the trailer shorter and reweld the back back on
I'd appreciate any information on these trailers
Thank you

Generally Tracker trailer supports and axle brackets are welded into place. You should be able to move the winch support back. Cutting and re welding can open up all kinds issues. About the Shorlander trailer were you not able to adjust the bunks to fit the boat? It sure looked like a nice trailer.

The bunks on the Shorelander are only supported on each end...they should have another center support as they sag too much and don't touch the hull except at each end.
I decided to buy the longer Tracker trailer, move the winch post back, and cut the back of the trailer and running boards about a foot shorter to fit the boat and reweld it back in as new
At least it will fit the hull and it should still tow fine
I have done this previously on my 2359 Trophy hardtop about 10 years ago when I found an Eagle trailer that fit the hull but was 2 feet too long and it worked out well
For my 1950 Peterborough, I just built a new trailer from scratch last year

012.JPG
New back deck...Peterborough Boat 018.jpg

Got the 2014 Tracker Targa V185 trailer home
Had to rethink how to make it fit my 2006 Targa V165 boat as to cut the back shorter was going to cause the weight distribution to be off
So removed the front spare tire carrier and mig welded some new HSS sections in the front to give enough room to move the winch post back
Just going to end up with a longer tongue now
Also made a piece of aluminum checkered plate to stand on to crank up the winch, just need a couple of non skid pads now
Next to make some new carpeted bunks , install the winch post, install the rear guides and put the boat on and see how it fits

Attachments

• Photo0384.jpg
    Photo0384.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 47
  • Photo0390.jpg
    Photo0390.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 47
  • Photo0399.jpg
    Photo0399.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 52
Nice work. Thanks for sharing. Great looking boats too.

Bought some new pressure treated 2x4 and 2x6 to make some new bunks
Routered all the edges and drilled them on the drill press
Covered them with C.E. Smith trailer bunk carpet using stainless steel staples

Attachments

• Photo0417.jpg
    Photo0417.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 37
  • Photo0418.jpg
    Photo0418.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 38
Nice touch on the edges. Thanks for sharing.

I've got to replace mine this year. I have the boards and carpet.... just need to make the time.

Got my project boat on the trailer
Fits nicely on the new bunks
Just a few adjustments to make now and get back to working on the boat

Attachments

• Photo0439.jpg
    Photo0439.jpg
    326.7 KB · Views: 25
  • Photo0440.jpg
    Photo0440.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Photo0444.jpg
    Photo0444.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 30
Man I wish I had the extra storage space and some of those toys in my yard. Nice.

Got all of the adjustments made now...fits like a glove

Attachments

• Photo0463.jpg
    Photo0463.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 21
  • Photo0465.jpg
    Photo0465.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 25
NICE JOB!!! Keep us informed on how your project progresses. What motor are you going to hang on the back? What electronics are you thinking about?

Going to put a 75 hp Merc 4 stroke on the back....and a Motorguide on the bow
As for electronics...probably a Garmin GPS/fishfinder...and a Fusion radio...similar to what I have on my Grady White 208 Adventure

Going to put a 75 hp Merc 4 stroke on the back....and a Motorguide on the bow
As for electronics...probably a Garmin GPS/fishfinder...and a Fusion radio...similar to what I have on my Grady White 208 Adventure
Sounds like a nice set up.....You will love the 75 Merc! You going to add a On Board Charger?

Yes going to add 2 batteries and a charger for the bowmount motor.
Finished the trailer...remade a couple of boat guides to fit and a couple of new fender liners...excelite with T nuts on the carpeted side and spar varnish on the exposed plywood side

Attachments

• Photo0476.jpg
    Photo0476.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Photo0477.jpg
    Photo0477.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Photo0479.jpg
    Photo0479.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Photo0482.jpg
    Photo0482.jpg