Tracker steering concern!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Heitman

Reaction score
I finally received my 2012 Tracker Targa V18 WT with a Mercury 150 Fourstroke. It came with a single steering system. I can barely hang on coming up on plane (and I'm a big guy). My wife tried and she can't drive it because the torque pull is too much for her. She is very sad and disappointed because we used our retirement savings to pay cash for this boat and now she can't even drive it. In the store, I see double steering systems on 90hp and 115hp. I also see hydraulic steering systems on 150hp Optimax on Nitro's. The new 150hp Fourstroke is supposed to have even more low end torque, so why would Tracker only put a single steering system on it? Can anyone offer us any help or suggestions. We don't know how to address this problem. The boat is currently at the Tracker Service Center in Springfield, MO and the Service Manager said he would contact Tracker. But, I'm not too optimistic considering Tracker must have already tested this system and decided it was enough. This boat and motor really should have a hydraulic system I think. Any ideas? Thanks! Targa

If it's not a hydraulic system on anything 90 or above is gonna' be a bear until you get it on plane. The dealer should have recommended it from the start IMHO.

Put a hydraulic on it and be done while it's there.

As far as WHY TM does that? Money savings.

Well, Tee, not really. Considering the boat comes standard with a 115, there isn't a necessity for a hydraulic OR dual steering system. Let's see what the Factory says.....;)

All I know is evrything I drove as far as Nitros/Trackers is the steering is a bear until on plane. Even my 90...you better have a hold of the wheel until she breaks over and trim up then, it's like power steering.

It's obvious to me you haven't driven anything ELSE. They all do it to a certain degree or another. It's not a Tracker exclusive issue, but plagues the majority of "powerboats"...

FYI...my Dad had a 25 WellCraft Sportfish W/A with a single 250 Yamaha, equipped with hydraulic steering......you could hardly turn it port or stbd while underway.

True...mine's better with an SS prop but, the factory prop had so much torque I thought something was wrong with it.

Can someone explain what it is thats too much to hold on to? are we talking about the steering wheel wanting to snap left or right because of the torque from the motor?

@ Targa, ....My Targa V18 WT is scheduled to leave the factory tommorrow....could you please provide me with your acessment of the boat.(WHats great? whats good? whats bad? Hows it ride? etc.....

THanks!

BowTech Guy... I am referring to steering torque. The torque of the engine and propeller makes the boat want to go to the right, which causes the steering wheel to pull hard to the right. To compensate, and keep the boat going straight, you have to grip the steering wheel tightly with both hands, try to turn the wheel hard to the left, and pray that you win. This is strongest when you first accelerate and the boat is "coming up out of the hole on plane." However, it is still there to a lesser degree when you get up on plane. As you trim the motor up, the steering becomes more "neutral" and doesn't pull to the right anymore. If you trim up too far, it will pull to the left. The goal is to find a spot where the steering is neutral and rpm's and speed are where you want them to be. For this boat, fully loaded with two people, WOT (wide open throttle) is at 5600 rpm and 46.5 mph (GPS indicated). By myself, it will go to 5650 rpm and 48 mph. It came with an "Enertia" SS prop with 17 pitch

As far as the boat in general, my wife and I are very pleased with it. Rides great, very stable at rest. But at speed, if you catch a wave wrong or strong gust of crosswind, holding on to the steering wheel and keeping the boat going straight is a handful! Scares my wife, she won't even drive the boat once it's on plane and trimmed out. Once again, I think it's a steering system issue. Other problems.. I have some leaky plumbing that causes part of the pump out / recirculate water from the front livewell to go into the bilge. They're working on it. I had a horrible vibration at the motor when I first put it in gear, forward or reverse. They determined the 150 Fourstroke had come from the factory with the wrong prop hub and swapped it out for a "Flo-Torque" hub (I think?). That seems to have solved the problem. My fuel gauage still showed 3/4 full when I had less than 1/2 a tank left. The trim guage only moved between down and 1/8 up. They're trying to adjust/calibrate these guages a little better. The courtesy lights for the rear deck had faulty switches in them causing them to come on by themselves (really!) or if on, not being able to turn them off. They switched them out, but that problem motivated me to install a Master Power Switch so I can shut down everything running off the crankin' battery. That's all so far! The Service Center has been great to work with. Targa

Hello I had the same thing with my nitro x5 with a 115 and I have issues with me that made it more of a bear.Went to Jamestown Dist bought a no feedback system what a difference it has a clutch on the steering shaft you can let go and it stays where you left it not in a canal bank, should of been standard equipment.My old system the trolling motor made the engine flop around and had to raise it now I do not.

Thanks for the info. I cant wait until mine gets here!! How much water does it take for this boat to float? and how much water is required for take off?

BowTech Guy... Not for sure, but maybe 16-18" to float it. I wouldn't take off in less than 8-10 feet of water, but that's just me. Targa

Targa,...Do you think your steering problem is an isolated case? Or is this looking like a Tracker Targa issue? Also, did you buy your new rig from a Bass Pro Shop?

BowTech Guy... Sounds like their plan to use it on all Fourstrokes, but I don't know that. I bought it from original Bass Pro Dealer in Springfield, MO. Steering system may also be a test to see how people like them? I sure don't. I think it is unsafe! Targa

Excessive steering torque is common to all boat brands with "larger" outboards and non hydraulic steering. The NFB system is the best I have driven but it still is pretty bad at certain trim angles.

best bet is to pony up and get the hydraulic steering. I agree that your salesman SHOULD have tried to upgrade you on the spot.

Hydrolic steering wasn't even an option that was offered to me. I'm buying mine from BPS in Denham Springs La. Before I sign on the boat I will inquire about it. Thank you all for the info. My rig is scheduled to ship from the factory today. I cant wait to get it in. All this pre-exposed info will really help me stay calm during the presiging inspection. This will be my first boat and I can see how easy it would be to miss something thats wrong with it. I wont sign anything before I know that every little thing is working like brand new. This website is great!!! All of you who answered my questions and adressed my concerns are great!! Yall have helped in a major way!!! THANKS AGAIN!!

And Targa,,,,Keep me updated on how the progress goes while getting those few issues worked out.

Bob... I'm thinking about the hydraulic steering system. Do you know if they even make a system for this motor since it is so new? Any idea what it would cost me? Also, does it sound like I've got the right prop on it? The mechanic discussed possibly raising the engine one hole as a partial solution to the torque steer strength out of the hole. It's on the second hole from the top now. What are your thoughts about this? Thanks! Targa

They do make hydraulic steering if you choose to go that route. The motor is at the correct mounting height {3/4" AT}, but the prop should be an 18". As little as it sounds, the additional pitch {and slight diameter difference} MAY reduce the torque on the steering. I'm just guessing here, because it usually goes the "other" way, but the Factory spec'ed it out with an 18, and you should start here......The 17" Inertia is spec'ed out for the VERADO 150. See the Dealer for the correct prop. ;)

On my '98 Targa 18 (that I eventually gave my BIL), it came rigged with a single rack as standard for the factory rigging. I upgraded the motor to a 150EFI and used the same rack, adding a high speed torque tab on the port skeg side. ($10, 10 minute investment) Since then, and now, it rises and runs with one hand easy operation through the full swing of trim under power. See attached link.
http://www.basspro.com/Torque-Tab-S...50297?cm_ven=bazaarvoice&cm_cat=RLP&cm_pla=22

Bob B. and Dan J.... Update. Service Manager says Factory stands behind this new 4.2 single steering helm. I asked about swapping for hydraulic system and they said would cost me $1200 to $1800 depending on whether factory helped. I asked them to check if prop was factory recommended and they realized they had put on the wrong prop hub and the wrong prop. So, it currently has a Flo-Torque 4 hub kit, and an Enertia 18P prop. Actual number on the prop is Mercury "Enertia" 48-898996 18P. I'm going to water test it and see if this makes a difference on torque pull, and decide from there what to do next. They also had to change the adaptor for the engine trim to work with the analog trim guage. I guess they're learning as they go with this new engine. But, that's OK cause I'm a patient and understanding guy. And, I'm retired and have lotsa time to get it right, when I'm not fishing. I'll keep you posted. Thanks! Targa

Hiya,

I just recently bought a 2003 Tracker Avalanche. It was rigged with regular type steering system and was tough to steer to say the least. She's armed with a 150 Yamaha Vmax hpdi. So as was my plan with the purchase of my (new to me) boat I installed a Sea-star hydraulic steering system. The difference is like night & day. I highly recommend it.

Have fun, drive fast !

T

Latest posts

Back