Tracker Avalanche

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthew Silva

Reaction score
Anyone out there have a Tracker Avalanche? I'm thinking about buying one. A 2002 with a 115 merc 4 stroke. I am 200lbs and my fishing partner is 350lbs. We need something real stable thats not going to tip too much when we're both on the same side of the boat. Any comments on stability, top speed, ride, etc would be appreciated.

And anyone know why Tracker stopped making them?

Thanks!!!!!

Matthew - don't have an Avalanche, but looked at a LOT of used versions before I ended up with my G3 HP180 (I was looking at Avalanches, G3's, Xpress's, and Triton tins). I really like the Avalanche, but in the course of my research and test riding of a few, I came away with the following observations:

1. 115hp is way underpowered for this rig. To get any type of decent performance, you need at least a 150hp Merc. Even then, you'll top out no more than 60mph range, especially given the passengers/weight your looking to carry.

2. The cable steering system that's standard is inadequate for the boat. I was in a rig that had the 150hp (Merc XR6) and cable steering. I had to keep two hands on the wheel at all times and fight to keep the boat going where I wanted. By contrast, I can take my hands off of my G3 (comes with a "no-feedback" steering system) at WOT and the boat will continue to track straight. To remedy the Avalanche's steering issue, hydraulic steering is a must.

3. Some of the early Avalanche's had hull issues. Can't remember the model year change or exact issue, but definitely the early ones had some reported problems running. 2002 may be a suspect year.

Other than the above, which are curable, I thought the Avalanche was a really good rig. My understanding is that they never sold well since the price point was so close to glass rigs that Tracker dropped them (despite promises to the contrary!!).

Good luck in your search.

i will secong what jim said, and like to add, that they are like a parachute in the wind, they sit really high out of the water and get moved around alot more than one would think possible. a trolling motor upgrade is a must, and if it matters, parts are really hard to come by if anything needs to be replaced. most parts or nolonger in production.

Thanks guys. Keep em' coming. Jim C....great review. I'm trying to research what hull issues they had, cant find anything yet. I'll call Tracker with a hull ID# monday.

I really have no need to go over 45-50 mph. SO i'm ok with a 115hp. I"m pretty sure it will do that speed. It does not seem to sit that much higher than a fiberglass boat does out of the water. You guys dont think a 24v 70# thrust tm is enough?

Matthew - I'll be honest. My memory ain't what it used to be so I can't recall the hull issue. Heck, it may have been some other problem with early model Avalanches besides hull (e.g., livewell?). In any event, if you find a pretty good version, a test ride and thorough inspection of all the fittings and accessories ought to help alleviate concerns. You should also get a boat mechanic to inspect the rig and engine. No guarantees, but it should help!

Oh, and 70# thrust should do the trick.

if floats higher due to less weight, it blows around alotr, the bigger the trolling motor will help keep it stright in the wind. and the 115 is a ok, but with 2 bigger people, a full tank and full livewells, it will take a good long stretch to get her out of the hole.

mike c

p.s. i have 3 friends that have them 2 with the 115 and one with the 175, the 115 were sold qwithin 2 years, look hard and you will notice most of them for sale are with the 115.

Jim/Matt - The only hull issues I can remember were cap/hull seams and occasional pad hook from excessive short bunking. (Transom hangover instead of supported by bunks.)

What mike c. said re: power - very true. When I shopped, I was open to a bunch of different tin models. Saw three Avalanches - two with the 115, one with the 150hp. HUGE difference. The one 115hp boat I rode in took a long time to get on plane and seemed (to me) sluggish. Also, another issue is that the seams on the seats of several that I saw advertised (but didn't go out to see)were ripped. Don't know why, but another thing to look out for. Keep looking - when equipped and priced right, they don't last. I saw a tricked out 2007 version on C&O's website (dual console, 150hp, hydraulic steering, trim lever, upgraded electronics, etc.) for $14K - it was gone in less than a month.

Matt -

I have a 2006 Avalanche with a 150. Gets on plane very quick and tops out at around 61MPH. I agree with the previous posts that the 115HP will be too underpowered, look for 135 or higher. The other point is, I have Hydraulic steering which makes a world of difference. Regarding the boat sitting higher in the water, it does....the boat is really a cross-over between a true bass boat and multi-species. As far as being blown all over the place, I really haven't seen much difference from other 19 foot boats I have been in, fiber or aluminum. A trolling motor with 100lbs plus of thrust would be nice and I plan to buy one for next spring given I can now justify it given the original has given me 3 years of flawless performance and taken a beating on rocks and stumps. Keep in mind I have had the boat in rivers with pretty strong current and the boat and trolling motor did very well. I just don't like the fact when the trolling motor is set to the highest level of "5" and when you press the foot pedal to start the motor all the current hits at once where the boat and trolling motor can jerk and if you are not ready for it you could loose your balance and possibly fall over. Hasn't happen to me but I have lost balance.... From what I understand the newer digital trolling motors ramp slowly with the current to avoid the jerking.... Keep a strong footing on the trolling motor foot pedal and you will be fine. As far as the hull issues, the first year and early 2003's had issues with the welds on the transom, be careful....

Stability, I am 250 and with others on the boat you will be very stable given the beam is 8 feet. I have had four male adults on board with no problems. I love this boat, great ride, have had it on Lake Winnipesauke here in NH in the broads during 3 to 4 foot swells and the boat handle great. I would not suggest doing this by the way...FYI - this was the only time I ever got water in the hull where the bilge kicked in. I have the electric one that comes with the boat as well as an auto bilge.

Other than some paint issues with the hull, I have not had one problem with the boat. The paint issue was due to poor primer application and taken care of by the dealer and Tracker. Great support and service from both....

FYI - I put an 8 inch Keelshield on when I bought in 2006 and it has held up great. No keel scratches other than where the boat has hit the bunks when loading.

The boat is not longer be made due to it's high cost to manufacture so it may be difficult to get parts down the road. The way I look at it is, it's just like any other boat which stops production.

Good luck, make sure to do your research, take one for a test run and have a person who knows boats take a look at it.... Like I said I love this boat and have no plans to go fiber given the ramps, or there lack of here in the Northeast are terrible and having a fiber boat the keel will get destroyed from the rocks and gravel every time I load and unload passengers.

Dan

I own a 2007 Avalanche SC with a 150 Optimax motor. I only noticed a little lightness in the Bow when going over 73 MPH as per gps. This with wife, granddaughter, myself and all gear and ice chest full. It would be around 600 lb. load. I love the boat and have been since they came out in 1999. They had issues with the early model. I wanted the 2007 model because all the bugs were out of it and it's all aluminum. The boat handles great, easy on fuel and is very responsive at all speeds, however I try to keep her down to 45-50 when cruising. Not bad for an old codger of 76. I get to the honey holes pretty quick. They quit building her because the plant in California had to charge more for the hulls. I would recommend this boat to anyone, hands down.

Attachments

• 179664_1604811038942_8258316_n.jpg
    179664_1604811038942_8258316_n.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 156
I own a 2007 Avalanche SC with a 150 Optimax motor. I only noticed a little lightness in the Bow when going over 73 MPH as per gps. This with wife, granddaughter, myself and all gear and ice chest full. It would be around 600 lb. load. I love the boat and have been since they came out in 1999. They had issues with the early model. I wanted the 2007 model because all the bugs were out of it and it's all aluminum. The boat handles great, easy on fuel and is very responsive at all speeds, however I try to keep her down to 45-50 when cruising. Not bad for an old codger of 76. I get to the honey holes pretty quick. They quit building her because the plant in California had to charge more for the hulls. I would recommend this boat to anyone, hands down.
Hey man shoot me a text 6138854638 I have an 08 avalanche with a 175 optimax and I don’t get close to that speed

I really have no need to go over 45-50 mph. SO i'm ok with a 115hp. I"m pretty sure it will do that speed. It does not seem to sit that much higher than a fiberglass boat does out of the water. You guys dont think a 24v 70# thrust tm is enough?

An aluminum boat is lighter than a fiberglass boat. They push around a lot easier. I will admit that I was about to tell you it was a deep-vee boat, but then looked it up and it's more of a bass style boat. I had it confused in my head with the tundra.

I LOVE those wide rub rails. I wish all boats had those.

The question is whether with you and your partner, you can get up on plane well to travel "at speed". Those smaller motors aren't good about getting you up on plane and most of the boat out of the water. As such, the fuel economy tanks.

Tracker is known for selling "pretty" and skimping on stuff that matters. The'll put too small of a motor, too small of a trolling motor, and the cheapest fish finder available.

Tracker Avalanche 18 SC says that it's rated for 175hp and came standard with a 67# thrust trolling motor. That would mean it's a 24v system. Trolling motors have improved a LOT since then. I have an 80# on my Pro Guide 175 and it pulls it at 3.1mph or so. In windy conditions, I got about 2mph, but that was really windy.

Latest posts

Back