Tournament V18 - Merc 150 Performance Report

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Hofman

Reaction score
After spending the better part of Sunday at Lake Carlyle in west-central Illinois, I wanted to post a performance report on our Tournament V18 with the Mercury 150 XR6. We followed the recommended break-in procedure for the first hour, keeping the boat below 4,000 rpms and varying the throttle every 2 to 3 minutes. Boat was loaded with 30 gallons of fuel, two adults and personal gear. Weather was 65 degrees, with a moderately choppy surface, intermittent sprinkles and clouds. We were using the stock aluminum prop that came with the motor.

It jumped up on plane effortlessly and - once we figured out the trim settings - ran straight and steady through the chop. Smooth.

After the first hour, we gradually increased the rpm settings above 4,000, still varying the throttle through the full range of power.

Finally at the end of the day, with the fuel nearly gone, we made a final speed run toward the marina. She topped out at 53 mph according to the speedometer, with the rpms turning 5000. I wasn't comfortable with my skill level to push it past 5,000. Adjusting the trim boosted the final speed from 53 to 56 before we ran out of lake. Again, this was on a choppy surface, and the speed is off of the panel. No radar gun to verify.

Just thought those of you who were curious would want to know.

Mark

Mark,

Switch to a SS prop, and get a little more comfortable and you'll top 60 with the rig I bet! Never thought a tin rig could ever do that, but today's technology makes it possible. Have fun!

Rob

Sounds like Fun......Got your email. On another note, I have read about the lake you mention a few times. perhaps you could tell me more. I live near O'Hare Airport, but in the Spring/ Late April while the Wisconsin Season is closed I take a Trip near I80 and the Illinois Iowa Border. I would like to explore further, and have heard there are MUSKIES!!! in there. Thanx!!

What a gorgeous boat!!!

I bought a TV-18 this spring with the 90 hp merc...

Drop me an email if you have any specific questions...I logged plenty of hours this year and may have a few words of wisom you could use...

Tomorrow mine goes to the dealer for a check-up and winterizing...Waaaaa!

enjoy!!!

az

Latest posts

Back