Top floating lures

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maybrfd

Reaction score
Hey all it is getting that time of year for poppers and top floaters. What is your favorite? I personally like several of the Repalas ( the dark green seems to work really well), love my red and yellow popper, and when I really want a challenge, I'll pull out the fly rod with the usual wet and dry suspects. I also use a variety of shallow spinners, my go to though is a black and red mep (yup a trout lure, but slays a lot of bass and an occasional crapie).

So spill your secrets. Enjoy hear from others and what is working for you 👍

Look

I still rely on the many variations of Pop-R type baits with feathered trebles. I like that I can cover a LOT of water, and change the presentation to suit the mood of the fish. Sometimes I let it sit after popping, sometimes I never stop moving it, etc. Still a VERY effective bait for bass chasing schooling fish. Years ago, when it was first introduced, I fished a Heddon Spit'n Image all the time and CRUSHED it on top water. You can "walk the dog" with this bait and it just catches fish. I had a local park pond I fished on foot, with a section that was about 1-2 feet deep. Bass would cruise this shallow section looking for food and this bait would call fish over to investigate the commotion it made. A couple twitches was all it took to entice a violent strike. I still use this bait because, like the Pop-R, it never stopped putting fish in the boat.

I still rely on the many variations of Pop-R type baits with feathered trebles. I like that I can cover a LOT of water, and change the presentation to suit the mood of the fish. Sometimes I let it sit after popping, sometimes I never stop moving it, etc. Still a VERY effective bait for bass chasing schooling fish. Years ago, when it was first introduced, I fished a Heddon Spit'n Image all the time and CRUSHED it on top water. You can "walk the dog" with this bait and it just catches fish. I had a local park pond I fished on foot, with a section that was about 1-2 feet deep. Bass would cruise this shallow section looking for food and this bait would call fish over to investigate the commotion it made. A couple twitches was all it took to entice a violent strike. I still use this bait because, like the Pop-R, it never stopped putting fish in the boat.
Love those Pop-Rs. They make a great noise and movement is phenomenal. Thanks Mark.

Reminds me of the Heddon Crazy Crawler.
1654235774561.png

Unlike many of the folks on here most of my fish are Spots. Most of my baits are finesse type but if I get out early I throw a Super Spook.

Unlike many of the folks on here most of my fish are Spots. Most of my baits are finesse type but if I get out early I throw a Super Spook.
My personal best bass came in 1993, on the original Zara Spook, black with bone stripes. It weighed in at 10.55. That's a memory that you don't forget.
Caney Lake, south of Monroe, La., produced a large number of the record bass in Louisiana back in the early 90's. I was lucky enough to be living about 40 minuites away from the lake during those years. It's still known for big bass but has never produced like it did back then.. There were guys who fished tournaments who would come in with double digit fish and land in 3rd place- maybe...