To wax or not to wax... that is the question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sisco Sisk

Reaction score
Greetings Everyone,
Haven't been on the board in a while do to the 5lb 13 oz new addition to our house hold in November, but I'm Glad to be back an I really dig the new look and functionality. Stellar job Rich, We appriciate you efforts and time you put into this site so we have forum to share problems and solutions. My question at hand is about waxing. I purchased a new 185 FS last year and man does the glass look sweet. I couldn't imagine it looking any better even if I waxed it for hours on end. Was wondering... If I need to wax it to protect it from UV rays or to prevent oxidation???
Thanks,
Rob

I've always heard from friends that you should wax your boat at least twice a year.

I guess it all depends on how much use and exposure to sun, salt water. If you garage your boat, use in fresh water only I feel once a year is good. If I do this in the fall you are good to go next year, but I'm in the Upstate New York. My boat is on a trailer, covered and doesn't get a full day of sun. Only use it April to October. I do wipe down my boat after every use. I am trying a Ceramic coating this year for the first time on a new boat. If your out on the water year round a figure twice a year is better. Depends on each person. Do you like a nice looking boat or could care less. Other factors are, if you sell your boat you will get more money looking in good shape and taken care of than abused. And I'm talking about Thousands of resale dollars, not hundreds.

Yep, and a clean boat looks great, runs faster, shows pride, gets compliments, and keeps your value up at trade in time or selling time. Donaol was correct on the thousands of dollars at resale.

I wax our Z19 once a year, just did it on it's first birthday. I chose Meguiars Marine Wax, then I use Lucas Oil Slick Mist Speed Wax to wipe the boat down after every use. A well waxed boat is much easier to keep clean. One thing, it is best not to wax the "pad" or high speed running surface of the hull. Doing so increases surface tension and will slow the boat down.

Ours is used year round in West Texas. Most of our water is nasty... I wax ours whenever it doesnt feel slick after being washed. It was just waxed for the third time this calendar year.

I wax my boat all the time. I enjoy “tinkering” with my boat, and this is just one of the things I can do to keep myself busy. My boat is used year round and I wipe it down every time it comes out of the water, and I wash and wax it about once per month. I’ll even clean the engine under the cowl. A bit over the top, I know.

I wax our Z19 once a year, just did it on it's first birthday. I chose Meguiars Marine Wax, then I use Lucas Oil Slick Mist Speed Wax to wipe the boat down after every use. A well waxed boat is much easier to keep clean. One thing, it is best not to wax the "pad" or high speed running surface of the hull. Doing so increases surface tension and will slow the boat down.
I have never heard about not waxing the pad of a boat will slow it done. Always thought waxing it would decrease friction making it go faster. Not trying to be a smart a””. Just trying to understand theory of it.

All kidding aside, won't make it any faster (or if it does it is not measurable for any practical purposes). It does however get you in tune (not engine tuning) with your boat. I clean mine every time I pull it out of the water, including a nice vacuum, upholstery, windows ect. I will wax about every fourth or fifth cleaning. Why??? Everything that I routinely clean, I find I am more interested with the object. I got into the habit with my Harley and it saved my ass more than once ( tire spits bearings , brakes). Fish aquariums ( ideal alkalinity, ph, calcium, magnesium. Phosphates). There is just no substitute for going over an object inch by inch. I find most problems before they become one. From the newest scratch/dent, loose screws, trailer, issues, general maintenance items, ect. Not to mention, the inspection guys have gotten to the point they stop me long enough to get the numbers and wave me on. So yes, it is a pain, but one I am willing to take. BTW I hear it does help the gel coat too;)

I have never heard about not waxing the pad of a boat will slow it done. Always thought waxing it would decrease friction making it go faster. Not trying to be a smart a””. Just trying to understand theory of it.
The theory, or actual experience by boat racers, is that a waxed running pad surface increases surface tension. This refers to the rear part of the hull that is in the water when the boat is fully trimmed out at speed. Waxing the front part of the hull where a scum line might form is fine because that part of the boat actually lifts out of the water when the boat is running at speed. Many boat racers, looking for maximum speed, actually sand the running surface of their boats. Though bass boats may not be race boats, though some think they are, they are high performance boats. The other thing to not do is wax your stainless steel prop. That will reduce its grip on the water and cause it to slip.

I agree with Maybfrd. I have a 2002 f350 with almost 400,000 just by keeping up with things. When my boys raced MX it was the came thing. Go over every bike AFTER every race. I can't tell you how many little things I found.

Besides a slick and shiny boat, truck, bike, ect... looks faster sitting still.

The theory, or actual experience by boat racers, is that a waxed running pad surface increases surface tension. This refers to the rear part of the hull that is in the water when the boat is fully trimmed out at speed. Waxing the front part of the hull where a scum line might form is fine because that part of the boat actually lifts out of the water when the boat is running at speed. Many boat racers, looking for maximum speed, actually sand the running surface of their boats. Though bass boats may not be race boats, though some think they are, they are high performance boats. The other thing to not do is wax your stainless steel prop. That will reduce its grip on the water and cause it to slip.
Thanks. Makes sense now. Probably will still wax the whole boat. Would like to keep it looking good and will sacrifice a little top end speed.

If the boat is stored in the sun with a cover, the best thing to do is have a cover that drapes down over the entire boat. Wax won't help much here, a good UV blocking cover will. If its stored indoors out of direct sunlight then the covers is only for dust and such.

What wax is great for is preventing scanlines from setting in a grabbing the fiberglass well. making it very hard to get off without serious scrubbing.

Latest posts

Back