To spray or not to spray....

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eric nichols

Reaction score
Anyone ever use spray attractants..such as Gulp Alive or Lunker Sauce? If so, what on...spinnerbait, hard baits? Just wondering, 3 guys in line in front of me at Gander Mt. were buying Gulp in crayfish scent.

Eric

It does work sometimes specially on slower moving baits like plastics.

I have never used it on faster moving baits like spinnerbaits but doesn't mean it couldn't help.

I know some guys that goes through some major amounts of the stuff.

When I use it, I use garlic scent!

Randy!

I was never a believer until last year when I started fishing tournaments. I never spray anything on hard baits or spinners but I do spray jigs/trailers and dip the tips of plastics. I used a Zoom fork tail worm plain and didnt get a bite. I started dipping the tail in chartruese garlic dip and caught 2 keepers in a half hour. I also had a plain jig and my boater had jig sprayed with Yum and she was catching them and I wasn't. I think it made me a believer. :p

I have Lunker Sauce but don't use it as much. JJ's Garlic is pretty powerful stuff. Anything with Anis in it seems to work for some.

I am not sure 100% that it provides more strikes but I think it might make them hold on a bit longer for the hook set. Just my 2 cents.

It also seems to help sliding through grass when flipping, I agree they seem to hold longer, If it helps me mentally it worth using

Just hook a crawler or minnow on that bait and watch it work.

fatrap

Actually I'm a big believer in Gulp baits and spray.

Cool...thanks for the feedback. I usually try to stay away from "magical potions", but when 3 out of 5 people in line are buying this stuff I was curious if anyone used it. I just might have to try it.

Eric

I dont use scent on anything except soft plastic baits. My favorite for the past few years has been BANG Garlic spray.

I also use Bang-Garlic. It is potent, beware of the wind direction

I'm a believer and more for the reason of masking than attracting. I'll tell customers the same thing when they ask me.

I don't necessarily buy into the fact that it attracts fish as much as I believe it masks the human scent. When you tie on a lure, why take the chance that the smell of your gasoline fill-up, the injection oil you topped off, the cigarette you smoked or the roast beef sandwich you ate is repelling strikes? I use it more for that reason (masking my scent) than any other.

I use it on all baits, plastics, hard baits, spinnerbaits etc. and have for years.

Eric,

I use an inexpensive version. Find some garlic flavored cooking spray or I even make my own by using cooking oil and mixing minced garlic in it, letting it stand for several days and then bottle it in a spray bottle. Like others said, I don't think it attracts unless it is a fish scent, but they do seem to hang on longer. Maybe they are an Italian strain of bass! :rolleyes:

Scott

I have to agree, I don't use them alot but when I do, its mostly to cover up the scent from my hands. I also prefer the gels. I use megastrike.

I sometimes use Yum. I have proven in my unscientific tests that scents have no negative impact at all.

Some days it works, some days it doesnt matter.

Whatever you do, dont spill it in your boat! Especially BANG...it eats the glue below the carpet.

I use it on soft plastics every now and then. Some times it seems to work, other times, not so much. Either way, I agree with firedog that its more for masking than attracting. That all said, at the end of the day of using the stuff, I usually have this craving for Italian food. :D

I really like Megastrike on softbaits. I'm not all that sure what it means to the fish, but it would certainly help hide the 'human scent' (along with others that we pass along to the baits through our hands). I'm guessing that is what the primary 'trait' is.

Tex

I saw a good article about this a few years back. I think it was actually by Bill Dance who promotes his sponser's brand Yum. But his point was that regardless of who's scent you use they all pretty much work the same way. He said think of it this way, you could be driving in your car minding your own business, not even thinking about food and then you pass a fast food joint and smell that cooking grease smell. Ding, ding, ding....I bet you could eat now! Same thing with fish. I don't think it will instanly change a bad day into a good day, but if you tournament fish it could make a difference with one good fish. I read a book about largemouth bass that was written by the guys that do the In-fisherman stuff and I found it really interesting. Very informative as to the science behind fishing. They talk about the difference between attracting qualities and triggering qualities of a bait and their sense of smell and all that. Great book for anyone interested in bass fishing

I use scent as a cover only. I am also OCD about not having sun screen on my hands or using scented soap before touching my baits. Working hard on minimizing my need for sunscreen by going with pants, long sleeve shirts, and broad brim hats. I am also using Berkley's scent eraser soap to clean up with after applying the little sunscreen I need for face, ears, neck.

That book by In-fisherman also talks about sunscreen and gasoline. Big no no's. Really turns bass off.

I look at it as cover scent for the most part. Jigs and slow baits may get a smear or dunk in Megastrike or Smelly Jelly craw. Most all moving baits I like clean and slick.

If you hate getting your hands trashed on a fishing trip, I've got a tip for you. Get a box of non-powdered (also no scent) latex gloves and toss 'em in a convenient hatch in the boat. Put 'em on before applying sunscreen, getting gas, working on boat, etc. A box would last me a full season with T's and they're a dirt cheap alternative than "funk on your fangers". ;)

Latest posts

Back