To Greg, Doug V. Wayne P. or anyone else who may know

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffry Skidmore

Reaction score
My question has to do with the 1KW transducer. A 3-part question:
1.) What is the purpose of 8000 watts peak to peak as far as say an 1198 SI HD? Does it translate into sharper imaging across the board?
2.) How much more expensive is it than a "stock" transducer?
3. Is the installation any different than installation of a "stock" transducer?

Let’s see if I can answer your questions here Jeffry:

1.) More wattage typically means more distance (usually depth). What this means for the 1198 units is that you can use the same unit as a deep water 50/200kHz 2D sonar machine.

2.) I just looked and we list the XTH-9-DB-35-KW-T transducer for $500 (it is on close out) and the standard HDSi transducer (XHS-9-HDSi-180-T) transducer for $269.99, so quite a difference in price here.

3.) Yes, the installation is completely different. The standard HDSi transducer is designed to mount on the transom of the boat while the 1KW transducer is a true Thru-Hull transducer which mounts to the boat through a hole drilled through the bottom of the hull.

What most do not realize is that the additional wattage is only available when using the 50kHz 2D sonar frequency of the unit. It does not mean that the Si (Side Imaging) sonar gets additional power, in fact when using this transducer you will not have any Si sonar as it is a 50/200kHz 2D transducer only.

Thanks Greg! I asked because I typically didn't see the sharpness of images on my unit as one sees on some of the advertisements, promos, etc., and wondered if a different trans. would resolve that issue. I supposed I'll have to install Photo Shop on my unit. LOL

Those images are just a product of the right installation, the right menu settings and the right boat speed and angle. Okay, maybe just a wee bit of luck in there too! :D

Latest posts

Back