Tire wear

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eric nichols

Reaction score
I have a 2000 model 882, if it mattress, and the tire on one side is wearing on tbd outside tread only....the other side is wearing evenly......the tires are inflated to proper specs and less than a year old.....I searched older posts and found some about inside wear, but not outside on one side of trailer.....any suggestions?

Thanks,

Eric

If you look at the tire as it going down the road is it running true? Have you tried swapping sides to see if its the tire?

I don't understand what you guys are talking about when you say "bent axle".

Most of the axles I've seen have an upward bend in the middle to allow for the weight of the boat. In a perfect world the wheels should be perpindicular to the ground when the boat is loaded.

What you are describing is too much "toe in" on that wheel. Typically it means that the wheel isn't running parralell to the trailer and is in turning in torwards the trailer. Typical of a bent axle caused by reversing into something or someone hitting the wheel as the go past.

TEE speaks of a "camber" built into some axle's to allow for load, just like independent rear suspensions like you see on old VW's etc, that won't cause your issue.

It doesn't take alot to cause this and if for example you laid under yopur trailer and measured between the wheels at the rear of the wheels that at the fron the wheels, the distnace will be smaller at the front. You have to be verfy accurate, or go to any tire store and aske a wheel aligner to check for you. ;)

I pulled the tires off the trailer to get a better look at them....they seem to be wearing everywhere but the middle treads......outside and inside treads look used, but the middle 3 rows of tread aren't very worn.....something isn't right.

Eric

Sounds like under inflation. Or if they are always inflated to 50 psi. maybe they are a incorrect load range tires. To low of a load range for the weight of the boat, motor,trailer and gear. Just 2 ideas that I could think of.

Also depends on the tire. I kept mine at 50 PSI and it made no difference.

The Bias Ply tires that come stock wore out in no time and had some of the worst cupping you'd ever want to see. Switched to Carlisle radials and the problem was not as bad but, still wearing on the outside. I'm now running Powerking Towmax and after a few thousand miles seems to be wearin good BUT, I'll have to wait and get a few more miles before I know for sure.

My thought is Tracker is using the same trailer for different boats and weights and is causing problems when loaded.

First sign of problems and I'm getting it checked out............

Latest posts

Back